Johnny Cash + PETE ROCK = REMIX ... WTF???

MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
Sorry about the but, really?

Comments

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Everlast did a cover of this one (or some other Johnny Cash track) for his recent album too....

• Johnny Cash + Pete Rock =

• it would be better with some signature growls and "crazy phat" adlibs from the chocolate boy wonder as well as the snare from long red.

when, how, and why did this remix happen?

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Everlast did a cover of this one (or some other Johnny Cash track) for his recent album too....

I've seen him cover it, guitar and all, while Muggs scratched the Jump Around beat behind it. No, it wasn't good. AT ALL.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    That's disgraceful. It sounds as if Pete Rock spent about 30 seconds punching up a rhythm track, threw that and the master recording into ProTools, did a few tweaks, and was FedEx-ing the session over to Sony within the hour. They probably paid him five figures for something that some kid in the mailroom could have done for less than a tenth of the money. Yet another example of how the music industry continues to shoot itself in the arse.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Johnny Cash + Pete Rock =

JP: In Pete Rock's defense, that's a pretty snazzy TP dispenser.

LOL!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Johnny Cash + Pete Rock =

LOL!

genius. that shit needs a graemlin STAT

• this is the worst shit ive ever heard. this must be fake.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Jive Bunny remix more like.

what a f*ckin shambles.

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    this must be fake.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    this is the worst shit ive ever heard. this must be fake.

On the other hand, that's what I thought when I heard "Prom Queen" as well...

• I was reading Time magazine yesterday and they mentioned this remix album and said none of the songs bring new life to classics, except for the Pete Rock and some other remix.

I hadn't heard it until now. Doesn't even sound like Pete Rock. Sounds like something that would happen automatically with one of the new "mix machine" things that come out these days.

"Hey, let's put that Johnny Cash song into the mix machine..."

"cool dad! Look! Mom's dancing."

• this is the worst shit ive ever heard. this must be fake.
    I wish you were right. Snoop is the executive producer. Here's the hip website.
    www.johnnycashremixed.com
    This idea reminds me of the "Walk Hard" movie. At the end the character's career is revitalized because of a Hip-Hop/Rap sample. The only difference is it was a joke and they did a better job with the remix. Plus, they had Ghostface on the track.

• pete rock has never heard this song. either he had nothing to do with it's creation, or he did it visually using soundwaves [a la frankie wild]

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    This stuff was promoted back in November, now its time for the Nat King Cole remix album. I'm still waiting for the Starship remixes to get released.

Johnny Cash Remixed is a tribute to the legacy of an American music icon whose work has touched every contemporary genre, and has the blessing and support of the custodians of Johnny Cash's legacy. "My father made his stead by defying the expected and accepted way of things," says John Carter Cash, son of Johnny Cash and Executive Producer of the Academy Award-winning film Walk the Line. "He set the standard at the same time. He would have loved this remix record. While it stays true to the original recordings, this CD touches on undiscovered ground. This is what my father was about, staying true to tradition while creating groundbreaking new music."

Remixed features bold new interpretations of Johnny Cash classics from top music remixers and producers who were recruited to take the original master recordings and infuse them with the sounds and technology of modern music styles. Highlight tracks include, "I Walk The Line" featuring Snoop Dogg (one of the Executive Producers of the album!), "Country Boy" remixed by Sonny J, "Get Rhythm" by Philip Steir (the only remixer allowed to work with the Reprise Records Frank Sinatra collection), "Leave that Junk Alone" remixed by Alabama 3 (the creators of The Sopranos theme song), "Folsom Prison Blues" remixed by the legendary Pete Rock, "Hey Porter" reinterpreted by Mocean Worker (whose remix of Elvis Presley's "Burnin??? Love" was used as a soundtrack to Honda's Superbowl TV commercial), "Sugartime" remixed by Kennedy (cornerstone of the new UK Dirty Pop movement), "Trail to Mexico" by indie favorite Mexican Institute of Sound/MIS, "Doin??? My Time" by critically-acclaimed UK-based band The Heavy, and "Wide Open Road" remixed by Count de Money, among others.

The original tracks, recorded with Cash's first band the Tennessee Two from 1956-1959, were pure and stark, with only the essentials; guitar, light percussion, and Johnny Cash's unmistakable voice and presence. The new mixes maintain this fantastic charm and personality while filing out the sound and creating daring re-interpretations.