Is this Barack Obama for real?

DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central

Hits the floor at 3:25

Comments

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    As much as I wish that was our President, I don't think it is.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Dont know about Obama, but I think I seen a few Kayne West's in there....

• 1). I FIND THESE LADIES VERY ATTRACTIVE AND STYLISH. I WOULD LIKE TO GET TO KNOW THEM ON A PLATONIC LEVEL AND DISCOVER THEIR INTELLECTUAL VIRTUE. PERHAPS SEE THEM IN A SOCAIL SETTING WHERE THERE ARE OTHER PEOPLE DANCING ,FAMILIAR MUSICAL SELECTIONS, AND LAZER LIGHTS

aaaaaaaaaaaaaand

2). I know Supreme doesn't mean any harm but this "OOOWWW FUNKY PRESIDENT" and "THE WHITE HOUSE NOW HAS RHYTHM!" type of shit is really in poor taste. I've been seeing it around a lot and I feel It continues proping the same narrow views people have of black folks. Proof we have a long way to go.

sorry to be a downer, but it's been something on my mind for a minute and coupled with all these right-wing nut jobs already hating on dude I had to get it off of my chest. I know supreme knows no harm

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

lol the Bermuda shorts guy reminded me of a Strutter.

all but what, three? girls were wearing a one-piece pant-suit! the white one and royal blue one (minus the gold cowboy boots) were the nicest.

• cascas 1,484 Posts

...type of shit is really in poor taste.

Some of those broads...

• ...type of shit is really in poor taste.

Some of those broads...

Dully noted, editing as we speak. I guess you've been called "broad" many a time and have been offended?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    2). I know Supreme doesn't mean any harm but this "OOOWWW FUNKY PRESIDENT" and "THE WHITE HOUSE NOW HAS RHYTHM!" type of shit is really in poor taste. I've been seeing it around a lot and I feel It continues proping the same narrow views people have of black folks. Proof we have a long way to go.

REAL MUTHAFUCKIN TAWK.

glenn close gives me the creeps

dinner roll funk

dinner roll FONK

oooops! apologies!

• cascas 1,484 Posts

...type of shit is really in poor taste.

Some of those broads...

Dully noted, editing as we speak. I guess you've been called "broad" many a time and have been offended?

not really...just playing big brother and telling you to pull up your underoos in public.

lol the Bermuda shorts guy reminded me of a Strutter.

all but what, three? girls were wearing a one-piece pant-suit! the white one and royal blue one (minus the gold cowboy boots) were the nicest.

I like the last shorty w/ the blue jumpsuit/bouncy perm.

.... "THE WHITE HOUSE NOW HAS RHYTHM!" type of shit is really in poor taste. I've been seeing it around a lot and I feel It continues proping the same narrow views people have of black folks. Proof we have a long way to go....

thats the thing I found most interesting about this clip, it really does smash that whole 'black people are all good dancers/have good rhythem" stereotype IMO.... Cus half them cats dancing are out of time and doing some not-so-fonky moves...

.... "THE WHITE HOUSE NOW HAS RHYTHM!" type of shit is really in poor taste. I've been seeing it around a lot and I feel It continues proping the same narrow views people have of black folks. Proof we have a long way to go....

thats the thing I found most interesting about this clip, it really does smash that whole 'black people are all good dancers/have good rhythem" stereotype IMO.... Cus half them cats dancing are out of time and doing some not-so-fonky moves...

• If that's Obama, then Obama can also be seen in New Edition's "N.E. Heartbreak" at the 4:51 mark (see him hi-fiving everyone on the left side):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnEi2MyqBlY

and the infamous "shirtless" one doing the stride in Young MC's "Bust A Move":

Hey Im just calling it how I see it. Go back and watch that video and tell me EVERYONE on there is a shit hot dancer....

Isnt that what he was attacking? isnt that the stereotype we are talking about here?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    What the hell kinda Soul Train was that?

• johmbolaya =

My friend's aunt is the Asian dame with the long hair that was always up in the Soul Train piece.

• johmbolaya =

Thread hijack!

Johmbolaya! You may be the only one who can answer the Hip Hop mystery that has plagued me for many, many years....Who is the dude to the right of Eazy at the 4:33 mark?!?!

HoLmes with the upturned bucket, sunglasses and goatee? Dude, cane in hand, was in a WHOLE MESS of videos back in the day, from BBD to west coast gangster shit! I bet he used to babysit Daze back then too. I used to think he was Zulu Gremlin but that can't be right.

If you can answer this I will be greatly indebted to you.

*Bonus beat:

Who in the heck was revealed under the Eazy mask at the end of the "100 Miles & Runnin'" video?!?! Just some random ass dude?? I never understood that...

Hey Im just calling it how I see it. Go back and watch that video and tell me EVERYONE on there is a shit hot dancer....

Isnt that what he was attacking? isnt that the stereotype we are talking about here?

Those cats were 80's folks doin their thang to Rick James.

The not so -funky moves were on some free-form vogue-type steez that was in at the time. Not all dancers are lockin and poppin or "funky" then.

The Asian chick, who was a staple back then, rocked those slow-elegant moves for years. It was just one of the many styles back in the early 80's.

Hard moves were on the way out and cats got more elegant wit it.

Even the Jheri curl/Blue jumpsuit cat was on some "off-time" smooth shit.

Plus a good amount of the cats there in LA were "professional" dancers they mixed in w/ the regular folks. And the trained eye can tell.

• and the infamous "shirtless" one doing the stride in Young MC's "Bust A Move":

I forgot how fun this video was . It's like a good time that you want to just jump into, forgot Flea was in it, and all that dancing, and those STOP sign hot pants are @#$%^&*. Fun.

That shirtless guy definitely looks like the same dancer.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    johmbolaya =

My friend's aunt is the Asian dame with the long hair that was always up in the Soul Train piece.

Really? For a while they were caning these 80's Soul Train joints on Saturday mornings on Channel 9 and I developed quite a thing for the young Miss.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug. I chalk up any questionable dance moves to that.

I'm more appalled by the fashion. On January 1st, 1980 some kinda fashion disaster bomb must have went off. They used to show some mid-to-late 70's episodes and everyone on those ones looked dynamite. Then the 80's rolled around shit was a trainwreck.

Perhaps you can chalk that up to cocaine as well. I don't know. All I can say is dance move decisions are made in an instant, whereas it takes at least several minutes to select an outfit. Plenty of opportunities for reason to kick in.

Has anyone seen the 80's episodes with that dude in the Spider-Man costume who flails around the whole time? That shit is Solid comedy Gold.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug. I chalk up any questionable dance moves to that.

All I can say is dance move decisions are made in an instant, whereas it takes at least several minutes to select an outfit.

I personally wouldn't sweep the floor with my good maroon pants, but not one questionable move in there imo! I think you can chalk it up to skills. I have no idea if some or all of these people were on anything, but those moves didn't come out of a vial.

If I was going to be on Soul Train, on TV, I'd be practicing, choreographing and making well sure that I could pace and interchange moves to fit any damn song they threw at me. When you're standing in that line-up, you are coming up with your routine, nothing last-minute about it!

• johmbolaya =

Cheryl Song? Fresh!

• If you can answer this I will be greatly indebted to you.

EDIT: After replying, I did a quick search and now we have a name. It's not Obama, his name is Ski Carr:

If you can answer this I will be greatly indebted to you.

The same guy who is in the other videos I posted. When Soul Train started showing reruns two years ago, he did say his name but I didn't catch it.

I always wanted to know the name of the Korean dancer here:

Shemarr Moore

• Shemarr Moore

I know about Moore, I'm talking about the Korean[/b] lady on the left.

EDIT: Now I remember. Her name was Kimberly, a/k/a "Special K", as shown on the 2:04 mark:

• My girlfriend's close friend went to Harvard Law with Obama and she told me a story last summer about how they went to dance on Soul Train together, so this could very well be our man.

My girlfriend's close friend went to Harvard Law with Obama and she told me a story last summer about how they went to dance on Soul Train together, so this could very well be our man.

No where on that Soul Train line would any of those cats end up dancin like he did on Ellen.

• My girlfriend's close friend went to Harvard Law with Obama and she told me a story last summer about how they went to dance on Soul Train together, so this could very well be our man.

No where on that Soul Train line would any of those cats end up dancin like he did on Ellen.

Exactly. That's what I was thinking.

and yo I always had A CRAZY CRUSH ON THE GIRL FROM THE YOUNG MC VIDEO