WANT: uncle funkenstein reissue...

djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
edited February 2009 in Vinyl Wants / Trades
but don't wanna pay a stupid price for it... if your local store has it, holla and I'll throw something on top to make it worth your while...b

Comments

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Ditto

• tritto

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    PAGING FRYER!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I woulda bought some when I saw it on the interwebs. I just thought it was so comically bad that demand would fall. I guess I dunno anything.

• I want the original.

But I don't want to pay a stupid price for it.

• Did "Kon" finally trade his copy?

• Don't think so.

But he wants a ridiculous price.

I am looking to pay no more than $500.

• Don't think so.

But he wants a ridiculous price.

I am looking to pay no more than $500.

still got it. i want what its worth, granted i dont think its worth $3k....plenty of others do. youll never get one for $500....infact at this rate ...wait long enough and you may end up paying that much for a reissue. supply and demand.

think about how many lps that go for over $1k every time you see them (brief encounter)
    how many times a year do you see the same lps vs og uncle funks ?

in this perspective the ridiculous $3k makes plenty of sense.

calling all soulstrut balleurs.

• calling all soulstrut balleurs.

Yes, I'm here but I don't want no Uncle Funkenstein!

When someone pulls out Minority Band let me know!

• I just thought it was so comically bad that demand would fall. I guess I dunno anything.

No, you didn't miss anything. I still don't get why this is such a grail. It's really something.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I still don't get why this is such a grail.

It's an excellent record.
    It is rare both in original and Gerald's lovingly crafted re-issue forms.

It is therefore prime grail material.

THOU MOTE DEAL.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    AH! Finally got a copy of this tee'd up... the Japanese pressing.... cheers F****!

peace.

• Minority Band should not cost as much as it does either

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Marvin Whoremonger is rare, this is somewhat rare.

• Minority Band should not cost as much as it does either

That's the thing about that record because in terms of quality, Minority Band blows Uncle Funkenstein out of the water. IMO!

• Marvin Whoremonger is rare, this is somewhat rare.

somewhat rare means ? 50 pressed, 200 pressed ?
    you pull this from the field 1 or 2xs a year or every 4 years along with rare marvin, or you only see it once for sale on ebay......and on peoples websites ?

shit is rare.
    if it wasnt........... most of yall would own it, and would not be debating on buying $150 reissues.
    it has been tracked to no avail. copies are not floating about.
    again, i see the same old $500- 1000 lps time after time.

from what i understand theres a man holding some copies of minority band.
    minority band slays.

uncle funk is like a black jazz label offering.

before the og went on ebay, i was told to put it up...and watch the insanity.
    words of wisdom.

• Kon - I was joking earlier. I don't really want the record and $500 is a silly price.

Uncle Funkenstein is way rare, maybe rarer than Whoremonger. In sheer numbers, more Whoremongers have turned up in the last couple years than Funkensteins. And people have been looking for Uncle Funkenstein for WAY longer.

Minority Band is an awesome record - I love it. But it turns up more frequently than the price seems to indicate. It's a hot record right now - five years ago, it wasn't. I think it's overvalued but not because the musical content isn't worthy.

That said, the guys from the band I talked to said they were trying to go for a Grover Washington Jr sound. So guys who are freaking over that record... chill out and play Reed Seed. That's what they were trying to sound like anyway! Haha.

• Quality over rarity ! Too many 1000 dollar plus LP's suck compared to some of the 100 dollar plus rare joints!

• The debate about Uncle Funkenstein can go on and on but like so many other records (East of Underground, Minority Band, Solid Gold Revue.etc) people always say "well only 50 copies were pressed up so it is crazy rare". Then you see 10 copies pop up for sale in one year. Just like East of Underground! Everyone knows the value so now more copies are showing up. I believe this trend will happen with Uncle Funkenstein as well. Just give it some time.

• Well the thing is people have BEEN knowing about Funkenstein. People in Indiana have been chasing that record for a long time. It might be newly "hot" in ebayworld but it's been a sought-after item for years in many circles.

Minority Band told me they pressed 5000, which I sincerely doubt is the case.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    The raer police hath spoken.

I will

Aside from its scarcity, what is a better listen?

Edit: to my knowledge Marvin Whoremonger has only been for sale publically once about 4 years ago.

• Actually, you're right. There was the Brooklyn flea copy and then the one you just found

In Funkenstein's case, there is the ebay copy and Kon's copy.

So it's 2:2.

I was in Vegas over the weekend but had no time to look for records. Bah.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    After a certain point in collecting, do people get that bored as to seek amateur jazz-fusion, or whatever whatever for $1000+? Is it like a powerful drug? You know that shit is not good for you, but you crave a stronger and more lethal drug...The mind boggles. This is easily bordering the territory of buying BAPES WITH REAL ICE CREAM DRIPPED ON THE SOLES OF EACH FOOT LIMITED TO 200 PAIRS DOMESTIC or something.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Actually, you're right. There was the Brooklyn flea copy and then the one you just found

In Funkenstein's case, there is the ebay copy and Kon's copy.

So it's 2:2.

I was in Vegas over the weekend but had no time to look for records. Bah.

Where did J-Boogie get his sample from? Kon's copy doing the rounds? Has this been on CD or re-issue in the past?

• I have no idea

• Funkenstein:

One popped up on e-bay for less then 24hrs about 1 1/2 years ago, it quickly went >800 and was pulled...I suspected a deal was struck.

I've been tracking that frucker for a while outta curiousity, so glad it got re-ished.

• There are a few copies of the Jazzman re-issue for under 150 on ebay. Gripp now!

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    There are a few copies of the Jazzman re-issue for under 150 on ebay. Gripp now!

It's crazy how fast this little world of ours moves nowadays. They had a bunch of copys at Recordmania, but I didn't buy it since the album isn't really my cup of tea.
    I'm glad I got that Mayer Hawthorne thing in the mail the other day. I understand it's supply and demand with newly pressed records as well, but it feels a little silly.

• LapurLapur 60 Posts
    those reissues from japan went for $75 BIN last week.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Edit: to my knowledge Marvin Whoremonger has only been for sale publically once about 4 years ago.

I know someone who got an eBay copy for $200 4 months ago.