Digital camera strut.

PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
My old sony cybershot camera just got jacked last night out of my car. Looking for a portable point and shoot with a good macro and a manual aperture and shutter control? what's good? I was eyeing up the Sony Cybershot DSC-W150 which has everything I want. Price is right but no manual controls. WTF? I know there some camera heads on here. A little help?

Comments

• Got the LX2, lurrve it...
    New one's out. PANASONIC DMC-LX3

This camera ain't for everyone- it's not tiny, doesn't shove into the pocket (if you need it to), but it's a poor wo/man's Leica, and takes great pix and has got that 16:9 thang goin' on. CNET apparently wants to marry this camera.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I borrowed a Canon Powershot S70 for a vacation, and was really impressed. I'm an old film head, and appreciate good controls. This pocket size camera had full manual options, shutter times up to 30 seconds for night shots, and nice clear images. There's probably a newer version that's even better. Any of the Canon or Nikons are usually amazing.

Here's a couple of shots from that vacation that flex the Powershot's abilities:

Macro/manual focus

Night Shots

Flash/Ambient Balance

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Got the LX2, lurrve it...

This camera ain't for everyone- it's not tiny, doesn't shove into the pocket (if you need it to), but it's a poor wo/man's Leica, and takes great pix and has got that 16:9 thang goin' on. CNET apparently wants to marry this camera.

LX3 can be copped for about $300-$400 used, my next camera purchase probably...

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    I have a Canon Power Shot A590 IS(Image Stabilizer)
    It's a really great carmera
    Here are some photos (random)

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

Macro/manual focus

great pic by the way. I remember when u posted it before.

• I went down South to cast this commercial for this camera the Nikon D40 which is a digital SLR and the producer gave me one at the end of the shoot so I have been using it a lot. I like it and you can mess with it to get some really cool stuff. Here's the ad I cast:

I also use a Canon powershot for work and for myself and when I do hoytie toytie castings for primadonna directors I rent this $20,000 Hassselblad for the day for a few hundred bucks on them, which takes unheard of perfect images. I want to get a Leica digi like my brother has, that thing is next level:

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    Casio Elixim, 2 years old, was only real choice in shop in the town where I lost my camera the day before.

Does good:

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

I don't necessarily have a recommendation, but here's what I know:

I have the Canon Powershot SD1000, which is a fine pocket camera but severely lacks in the ability to manually adjust anything. That's kinda frustrating, if my wife doesn't get laid off I'll probably supplement with a DSLR and keep the Canon as a small camera to carry around everywhere. I actually think my old Nikon Coolpix 885 took better photos in general, but that camera was clunky and hard to slip in the pocket. One cool thing about the Canon is the timelapse feature in the video:

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Here's the S70 I used. They go for $100-150 on ebay.

thanks cbear. ebay might be the way to go. I have to find store that sells these so I can check it. Thanks again.

• Options

Macro/manual focus

great pic by the way. I remember when u posted it before.

That shot is kicking my ass, I'd put it on my wall in a second.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

LX3 can be copped for about $300-$400 used, my next camera purchase probably...

agreed it's a great camera, but where are you seeing used ones from $300-$400 ... and not $399.99??

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    About a month ago I got a Nikon D60 SLR, and so far I love it. Extremely fun to play around with.

• I'm sort of a novice with a camera, but it seems like time is flying by faster everyday and I need to take a few more photos.
    So I just copped the Canon PowerShot SD890is

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

BTW, thanks for the suggestion on this.

After checking all of the reviews and specs I purchased one over the weekend

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I was looking at the specs on that LX3, and it's a little odd that the zoom is a 24-60mm equivalent. The24mm wide is nice, but there's no telephoto on that thing at all. Does it have a telephoto adapter? I could see that being frustrating.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    I was looking at the specs on that LX3, and it's a little odd that the zoom is a 24-60mm equivalent. The24mm wide is nice, but there's no telephoto on that thing at all. Does it have a telephoto adapter? I could see that being frustrating.

Yeah, it's 3x optical zoom, that's about it. My qualms with most P&S's is they aren't wide enough. 24mm is pretty damn awesome. There is an 18mm attachment, so perhaps they have zoom lens attachment.

This thing also shoots HD video!
    And has a 'pinhole' camera feature to take those trendy 'lomo' type shots