Sharing of Samples/Breaks between Producers?

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
Hey,Listening to the use of the break by Large Pro ("For My People") and Q-Tip ("I Believe") brought a question to my mind. Back in the day (and even in the current era), was it common for producers to share information about samples? Since Large Pro and Tip were/are boys, is it possible that one of them put the other up on the break they both used? I noticed similar usage of the same samples/breaks by Pete Rock and Large Professor (e.g., "Where There's a Will There's a Way" by Don Covay and "Burning Spear" by S.O.U.L.), A Tribe Called Quest and Black Sheep ("The Soil I Tilled for You" by S.O.B. and "North Carolina" by Les McCann), and The Beatnuts and Q-Tip ("Smiling Billy Suite, Pt. 2"). Were producers putting one another up on hot samples/breaks, etc. in the game?Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I know for a fact I>Stunts, Blunts & Hip Hop/I> was one hell of a collaborative effort on the "check this break/loop out" side of things. Diamond wasn't up on half the shit he used beforehand.

• Yeah, Stacks... all those dudes knew each other and put each other up on records.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    I always felt that since most of them dudes where at the forefront of the digging & production game for that period, they were all tapping into these new unmined areas (eg the jazzier records, the more rare groove) at the same time.

Cus Im sure even dudes out side of the NYC scene where tapping into similiar sounds, maybe it was just the vibe in hip hop at the time, ppl where over drum machines and james brown loops, and if some dudes where dropping heavy basslines and jazzed up vibraphone loops, and you dug the 'new sound' they had, as a digger/producer you'd go looking for simialr sounds even if you didnt know who they sampled...

Sorta like them old school djs who all had alot of the same 'breaks' in their crates. Kinda of like a selective group of people who's interest/ideals lead them to share a collective knowledge...

Is there a common thread with alot of these records? Where there certain record dealers these guys where all sourcing thier wax from? Or clubs they where spinning at?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Stacks: if you read interviews with a lot of these cats, they'll acknowledge the sharing that went on.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    - JUST A FRIENDLY GAME OF BASEBALL (Bonus Version, for our friends in A Tribe Called Quest)

• pete rock for the beat ya dont stop...

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    wouldnt it also be possible that quite a few of these dudes grew up around the same time in similar areas and their parents listened to these records?

according to Pete Rock he actually made that beat. He says he made it, was working on it, Tip came over, heard it, went home and recreated it. Pete feels it was his beat and deserved at least co-production credit.

according to Pete Rock he actually made that beat. He says he made it, was working on it, Tip came over, heard it, went home and recreated it. Pete feels it was his beat and deserved at least co-production credit.

Q-Tip is known for doing that. Did the same thing w/ DJ Cash Money

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

It seems cats were real generous with the sample/break knowledge, which is impressive. Admittedly, I was squirrelly as a muthafucka back then, keeping the information on my "goodies" to myself. I was hella concerned with cats bitin' me, so I kept a lid on what I was using. I was more paranoid than anything, since dudes in Fayetteville weren't up on the samples that much. The only other dude I knew with crates was this guy named Sean Beamon, who was up on stuff like John Klemmer's early Cadet LPs, Cannonball Adderley, UBBs, Super Disco Breaks, Drum Drops, etc. Otherwise, I had a lot of the old loops to myself, ah, the good ole' days.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    pete rock for the beat ya dont stop...

Really? I'd heard the Pete Rock story, but what's up with the Cash Money one?

Really? I'd heard the Pete Rock story, but what's up with the Cash Money one?

Well, ya know... really I probably shouldn't have even said anything on here about that. Should be left as just one of those things... sorry. Somebody else here might know the story if they want to tell it.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Large Pro told me that he was responsible for the Tom Scott loop for T.R.O.Y. He showed that record to pete rock and even looped up the sax part over the substitution drums before

• LempoLempo 22 Posts
    I've always wondered about Pete & CL's Main Ingredient and & Tribe's Midnight.They both have the same Brethren drums, sample from the same George Duke song and even the same Albino Gorilla sample..Maybe they had a beat contest or the other one saw wich records the other had next to his sampler or something.

I Dunno, maybe I'm getting carried away, but there seems to be a connection there.

• Re: Current Era

I??ll share anything I have, simply because I think it's interesting to hear different people's takes on the same break/sample.

• main ingredient= almost every track had brethren drums eq'd different.
    large pro is a very humble guy.

Large Pro told me that he was responsible for the Tom Scott loop for T.R.O.Y. He showed that record to pete rock and even looped up the sax part over the substitution drums before

Yeah, this story has been circulating for years. I think it's well accepted now that he intro-ed the loop. The debate around the drum programming still continues though. According to Dante Ross, who A&Red that album, LP didn't help with the drum programming but he confirmed that the loop was LP's idea.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    weren't these dudes buying records off of bob gibson and going to the same record shows in nyc? i've always thought dealers were hooking them up w/ the same record.

like the smiling billy suite beat, anyone who heard that loop was gonna flip it. shit like that is a no brainer.

peace,xavier

• IMO it wasn't like a "sell the same record to two different guys without them knowing" thing... people want(ed) to catch certain joints, regardless of who else flipped it or was going to.

A buddy of mine is still asking for some wild shit that Large Pro or Pete or Primo tells him to look for

• Large Pro used the Tom Scott sax on Slick Rick's "It's a Boy" remix in '91, before Pete used it...so that kinda backs up thew story of him showing the record to Pete.

Large Pro used the Tom Scott sax on Slick Rick's "It's a Boy" remix in '91, before Pete used it...so that kinda backs up thew story of him showing the record to Pete.

Funny, I never picked that up before. Such a short loop - you figured LP could have pulled that from practically anywhere.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Large Pro used the Tom Scott sax on Slick Rick's "It's a Boy" remix in '91, before Pete used it...so that kinda backs up thew story of him showing the record to Pete.

Funny, I never picked that up before. Such a short loop - you figured LP could have pulled that from practically anywhere.

Yeah, I read that in an interview somewhere - it's funny that Large Pro wouldn't have used THAT LOOP from it, but on the other hand, whenever I hear the Tom Scott song it's with TROY in mind...

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    I remember the Whatnauts drums from "Bucktown" by Smif -N-Wessun and "Oh My God" by ATCQ being an issue where dudes was heated at the others use of them... Tip strikes again?

Could we get a clip of the Cash Money song if we dont get the dirt?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I remember the Whatnauts drums from "Bucktown" by Smif -N-Wessun and "Oh My God" by ATCQ being an issue where dudes was heated at the others use of them... Tip strikes again?

There was also something about how Large Pro left those drums open on Apache's "Hey Girl," and people would just jack them from that 12 without actually knowing what they were.

• with all these beat jacking stories about q-tip i'm surprised dudes don't hate the guy forever. it seemed like such a big offense to people back then.

I heard a lot of beat-jacking pete rock went on in the form of paying the basement a visit, and when pete wasn't looking to go take a peek at whatever is on the turntable. the sean combs signature method apparently

with all these beat jacking stories about q-tip i'm surprised dudes don't hate the guy forever. it seemed like such a big offense to people back then.

I heard a lot of beat-jacking pete rock went on in the form of paying the basement a visit, and when pete wasn't looking to go take a peek at whatever is on the turntable. the sean combs signature method apparently

Pete should have gotten hip to the game and left one of these out on the platter:

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts

I guess he is refering to the Wild Hot song, there is no dirt really. Cashmoney invite Tip and Busta to rhyme on one of his beats for his mixtape Guess who's coming to diner, and later they did the same song again, same loop, same lyrics on the Rhyme & Reason compilation. But they gave credit to Cashmoney.

• I remember the Whatnauts drums from "Bucktown" by Smif -N-Wessun and "Oh My God" by ATCQ being an issue where dudes was heated at the others use of them... Tip strikes again?

I guess he is refering to the Wild Hot song, there is no dirt really. Cashmoney invite Tip and Busta to rhyme on one of his beats for his mixtape Guess who's coming to diner, and later they did the same song again, same loop, same lyrics on the Rhyme & Reason compilation. But they gave credit to Cashmoney.

i could say more on this, but i'll leave it at what SLurg says

Tease!

• I remember the Whatnauts drums from "Bucktown" by Smif -N-Wessun and "Oh My God" by ATCQ being an issue where dudes was heated at the others use of them... Tip strikes again?

i could say more on this, but i'll leave it at what SLurg says

cmon cmon cmon....say more. we want the troof.