How Many Of You Would Not Be Alive

2»

Comments

• Menstruation is murder.
    Save every egg!!!!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    #3 of 3. Child of a 1 of 1 and 2 of 3.

I wonder how he came up with 2 as the correct number. Doesn't really say. Maybe this has something to do with it:

"Porritt, who has two children..."

Lets Get Metaphysical.

Is every unused sperm and egg and miscarriage a lost soul?
    If you weren't born to your parents would we you eventually born to someone else?
    If that someone was a Roma living in Ulaanbaatar, would you still be you?

• soulstrut made me sterile

get your t-shirts while they're hot.

Could you say... If you had gay friends who were married and never having kids, give you their credits and I could have 4??? Could we trade these credits on the market like carbon ones?

That's the ticket.

Cap and trade so to speak.

BTW. If you are pro-choice, chances are that you don't think government should be involved in your reproduction choices.

Thus it would be consistent with pro-choice views to oppose any government mandated limit.

It's a good choice (IMO) to limit and plan the number of children you have.

I would never want any government making that decision for anyone. Even unmarried moms living with their mom having 14 children and more.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_birth_rate

The US and the UK are 139th and 153rd in birthrate.

A lot of other places would benefit more from this type of policy...

Isn't one reason for high birth rates in poor countries the fact that the bigger the family, the more family members there are to work. Which brings more money into the pot and makes life *slighty* easier?

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_birth_rate

Isn't one reason for high birth rates in poor countries the fact that the bigger the family, the more family members there are to work. Which brings more money into the pot and makes life *slighty* easier?

yes but also add other cultural norms, gender values, and religious views + the lack of sexual education in developing nations.

but also nations in these developing nations the death for infants/young children is HUGE.

• BTW. If you are pro-choice, chances are that you don't think government should be involved in your reproduction choices.

Hey D*n:

I'm very pro-choice (as if it wasn't a all or nothing issue) but I still believe population control isn't a bad idea. I think to mix the issue of abortion with the issue overpopulating the earth isn't a wise notion, Apples and Oranges.

BTW. If you are pro-choice, chances are that you don't think government should be involved in your reproduction choices.

Hey D*n:

I'm very pro-choice (as if it wasn't a all or nothing issue) but I still believe population control isn't a bad idea. I think to mix the issue of abortion with the issue overpopulating the earth isn't a wise notion, Apples and Oranges.

If you allow the government to dictate the largest number of children you can have, then they could also dictate the minimum.

That's my thinking any way.

Either way I don't think it's any of their business, beyond allowing choices and education.

• BTW. If you are pro-choice, chances are that you don't think government should be involved in your reproduction choices.

Hey D*n:

Im with LaserWolf on this...the gist behind pro-choice is that the government can't tell me what to do with my body...reproductive freedom. that would fly in the face of government dictated population control. Population control is unconstitutional by the same reasoning as Roe v. Wade.

That is part of it, but there is also a huge unmet need for family planning services in the developing world. Most women everywhere, if given the choice, would have fewer children.

yes but also add other cultural norms, gender values, and religious views + the lack of sexual education in developing nations.

but also nations in these developing nations the death for infants/young children is HUGE.

I think lack of family planning services trumps all of this in many countries. However, Obama's move last week to allow federal money to be spent on family planning programs should help somewhat.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Hey D*n:

If you allow the government to dictate the largest number of children you can have, then they could also dictate the minimum.

That's my thinking any way.

Either way I don't think it's any of their business, beyond allowing choices and education.

You don't want more kids, don't have them, and teach the ones you've got your position in hopes that they adopt that later when they have families. But leave Gov't mandates out of it.