what annoys me the most...

13»

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Some people know the recordings.
    Others have lived the music.

Many of us have tracked down artists only to hear them say, I didn't know that was recorded (or released).

While we are gushing about the funky track with the break they will tell us that that's the worse track on the disc and it's the one with the flute that was a hit.

I'm just as annoyed as the rest of you with people who try to tell people what it was like in places they have never been.

But, A, when you meet that kid who tells you what it was like in the early days of FatBeats chances are he will know details about things you forgot or never knew or hoped no one would ever know. And he will have a copy of the first stop tape you gave to your high school girl friend.

• like method man said...
    "They talk about while we live it!"

I don't think he was talking about music "experts", but you can lump rap journalists in with them right?

• I'm younger than Russell Simmons

But there is some truth in both of your above statements

Back when you and Russell were running the New York streets, "record collecting" had little to do with hip-hop. It was dismissed as noise. Scratching was laughed at - or cried over. Since then, hip-hop has completely remade the world of record collecting.

Not casting judgment... but I'd have complicated feelings about it if I were from that world too.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    I just thought of this topic because I am reading the Teddy Pendergrass interview in this month's Wax Poetics, and the poor dude interviewing Teddy is getting yelled at by him the whole time. Funny shit...

• My money's on the Brit dudes

man, you dont know how fuggin annoying it is to KNOW you are right, and have some middle aged jackass brit say to your face "Im afraid you're mistaken mate" with that smug "im british therefore I know everything about soul music" attitude...makes ya wanna punch, no punching is too respectful, bitch slap a limey...

• UMADUMAD 187 Posts
    My money's on the Brit dudes

man, you dont know how fuggin annoying it is to KNOW you are right, and have some middle aged jackass brit say to your face "Im afraid you're mistaken mate" with that smug "im british therefore I know everything about soul music" attitude...makes ya wanna punch, no punching is too respectful, bitch slap a limey...

U MAD???

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The elders are often inaccessible.

Labeling them "crust" isn't exactly inviting.

"Crust" doesn't simply = "old" though, does it?

I thought it referred to a particularlarly clueless type of older collector.

The type who sweats obscure Beatles pressings containing music that is actually readily available.

The type who attempts to capture the social acceptance that eluded him in his youth by sweating 1950s teen pop recordings and who breathes exclusively through his nose.

The type whose face will crumple into tears when someone says something like "Just pay for the Elvis record and get out of the way, clown," and who suffers from deficient personal hygiene.

Am I mistaken?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    feeling superior because of your record collection or knowledge of music is like be proud of what a great masterbater you are.

my man POPs in Virginia said it once, "If you claim to know 15% about recorded music you may be an expert, but if you claim to know 16% you're a damn fool. you can't"

• The elders are often inaccessible.

Labeling them "crust" isn't exactly inviting.

"Crust" doesn't simply = "old" though, does it?

I thought it referred to a particularlarly clueless type of older collector.

The type who sweats obscure Beatles pressings containing music that is actually readily available.

The type who attempts to capture the social acceptance that eluded him in his youth by sweating 1950s teen pop recordings and who breathes exclusively through his nose.

The type whose face will crumple into tears when someone says something like "Just pay for the Elvis record and get out of the way, clown," and who suffers from deficient personal hygiene.

Am I mistaken?

• feeling superior because of your record collection or knowledge of music is like be proud of what a great masterbater you are.

wise wordz

my man POPs in Virginia said it once, "If you claim to know 15% about recorded music you may be an expert, but if you claim to know 16% you're a damn fool. you can't"

haahhaaa.legendary dude. what was up with that warty sidekick who used to hang in there? whered pops get all those records anyway??? he still doing it?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    tim sent me a pm a while ago letting me know that pops had passed. his grandson apparently inherited everything. pops had storage lockers all over the city. some of which were pretty much untouched.

that warty dude smelled of death. so creepy.