Cooking Strut: What your dinner was

hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Had mad leftover curried mungbeans. I made quesadillas using the following:a soft ripened sheep's milk cheese, similar to bucheronkalamata olivesshredded carrotsezekiel sprouted grain tortillasfresh homemade salsa and avocado on top.Ok, go.

Comments

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Dude on the corner made a mean Veggie Pho and sammich. I don't know what he used, but it worked.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I had letfover Jerk Chicken that I threw in some broth.

Added some veggies and its a wrap. (Extra Ginger).

• Rather traditional tonight: garlic and rosemary pork roast, mashed potatoes with butter & garlic (I like garlic), and brussel sprouts with butter and white wine.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    I made Vietnamese rice Paper rolls using the following

- Stir-fried spicey ginger pramns
    - vermacelli noodles
    - fine strips of carrot & lebanese cucumber
    - fresh mint and corriander

Dipping sauces included

- Home-made sweet chilli sauce
    - Peanut Dipping Sauce aka Nuoc Leo

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 large clove garlic, peeled and minced
    1 or more bird's eye or Thai chilies,
    seeded and minced
    3 ounces unsalted roasted peanuts,
    1 tablespoon chopped, the rest finely ground
    (but not butter)
    1 cup chicken stock
    1/3 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
    1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
    1 tablespoon fish sauce
    1 tablespoon sugar

• porkchops with a dry rub
    green beans with olive oil
    tomatoes and onions with olive oil/vinegar and oregano

...and I'm sippin' on some green tea right now

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    veg bayaaynatu - ethiopian 'sampler'
    senig karia - raw whole jalapeno stuffed with tomato and onion
    spiced tea

I WISH I had made it, but spiced tea is about the only thing I could handle...thank you, fine chef at Ethiopian House.

• Teriyaki Salmon over spinach salad and some roasted squash and we just put our son to bed. I gotta say that 'do any of you not talk to your parents' thread today killed me. Just made me really sad and stuck with me and it's just a reminder that as a parent your power is immense and your actions last forever. It's a huge responsibility and even in indirect ways I am grateful to be reminded of that responsibility to do my best as a father.
    sorry, back to cooking.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Trooped my ass over to a thai grocery in Chinatown, got some Panang curry paste and kaffir lime leaves, went home, jasmine rice in the rice cooker, shrimp in the grill pan. Whipped it all up with a bunch of coconut milk and green peppers.

First time I rocked a store-bought curry paste, but shit was authentic, and everything came out bomb, leftovers for days....

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    marinated, grilled chicken thighs with cornmeal dredged okra and bread.

Trooped my ass over to a thai grocery in Chinatown,

The joint on Mosco St?

• & cheese.

• I ordered 2 beef kabob wraps and got 2 chicken kabob pita wraps... ultimately... no complaints though.

I don't doubt you ate some mac and cheese R*ck... your a common food eating dude. A man of the people if you will.

• girl made a delicious beef stew...classic style... potatoes, carrots, onions...big ol piece of bread with butter and a glass of milk. Perfect on this cold ass day. For desert, some homemade dark chocolate puddin' with whipped cream and bourbon pecans.

Im spoiled.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Im being all "Frugal Gourmet" lately...aka...use what I have for cheap and drink a lot when I make it.

mad love for you Jeff Smith

Tonight we had left over pork and random other items in the cupboard. Likely I went with a Sweet Chili Braise Sauce that I made up last week.

Let it cook in the oven for an hour or so. The pork's cut is not too thick so it doesn't take long, and really it's late anyways.

Pureed cilantro, garlic and avocado with olive oil and sea salt. Mixed it with white rice and hot peppers. Sauteed some zuchinni and carmelized some onions. Placed them on top of the rice and baked it. Kinda gratin style.

Quick, easy, what have you...

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    ^ looks damn good!

• chili, no beans

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    I got a filafel wrap at a local restaurant. I got a free drink, too, I guess it was free drink night or something. Dinner for $5.12 = not a bad deal, imo.

Plus, I have 8 stamps on my buy-10-get-1-free card!

• Talking S..L..O..W roasted Pork, warm bean salad w mint and coriander, served with Nouc Cham sauce. Hell, yes.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Talking S..L..O..W roasted Pork, warm bean salad w mint and coriander, served with Nouc Cham sauce. Hell, yes.

BRO.

The joint on Mosco St?

You know this. Been hearing good things about that spot for a minute, so I had to finally make it happen, and I work by Prince St, so the walk wasn't too bad.

Tried to make a curry from scratch 2 weeks ago, and even Fairway couldn't help me out with some of the ingredients, so I knew it was time. Too bad they were out of the homemade curry paste, the shit in the jar was still damn good, but looking forward to going back for that real...

What do you get from there?

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    homemade shit on a shingle for breakfast

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    green chile and beef stew with some jalapeno cornbread.

• Restaurant Week menu at Scarpetta. Simple spaghetti with tomato and basil. The best I've ever had.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

The joint on Mosco St?

You know this. Been hearing good things about that spot for a minute, so I had to finally make it happen, and I work by Prince St, so the walk wasn't too bad.

Tried to make a curry from scratch 2 weeks ago, and even Fairway couldn't help me out with some of the ingredients, so I knew it was time. Too bad they were out of the homemade curry paste, the shit in the jar was still damn good, but looking forward to going back for that real...

There's also a malaysian grocery store down there, but I can't remember what street it's on. You might wanna check that for your hard to find ingredients.

Elise, your avocado didn't get bitter when you heated it up? I always play mad cautious with heating avocados, which basically means I don't heat them up.

I think I saw that spot, on Bayard near Mulberry I think, but regardless, the Mosco spot had everything I needed. The curry paste 'recipe' I was making didnt really need much besides coconut milk and fish sauce, but I grabbed some tamarind too because I couldn't find that shit anywhere up by me last week, and it looked like it will last a while if I want to give the homemade route a shot again.

Anyone familiar with tamarind, how long will it last chilling in my cupboard?

• I had about a 7oz steak, steamed broccoli and some 1/2cup of brown rice
    broccoli farts for days.

• I had dinner w/ DJNevilleC's brother and his fiancee the other night. She knew I was vegan so she made baigan bhartha & aloo muttar from scratch, both of which she was cooking FOR THE FIRST TIME. Which wouldn't be so impressive if it also wasn't so GOOD. We also killed about 3 bottles of wine. Nice one!

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

Elise, your avocado didn't get bitter when you heated it up? I always play mad cautious with heating avocados, which basically means I don't heat them up.

I didn't heat it up really. Just blended everything, then mixed it with rice. Put veggies on top and popped in in the broiler for a minute.

It was very creamy--plus the avocado was very ripe.

The joint on Mosco St?

I cop the Fresh Thai-Basil. Their Green or Red Curry in the Plastic bag from the fridge is authentic.

The stuff in the cardboard container u can cop at other spots.

I cop the Fresh Galangel. As well as their Fish & Oyster sauces that are from Thailand.

That's the spot.

There's another spot that's not Thai, that I cop Black Chicken(Say Yeah!).