sick & tired of expedits! (Woodwork related)

cadeauxcadeaux 208 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
I had to buy and install two more half expedits and put them on top of the other ones to fit the records in the new location. i hate them.couldn??t sleep last nite because i sleep in front of them.so i had time to think.So, here??s the Deal: the Strut has a few active collctors, Designers and other people that might be handy to get:- a design for a decent record furniture/shelf whatever- maybe 50 heads who like it/would order it- finds somebody manufacturing it for a decent price and- do it!- get it!- become happy!

Comments

• I had to buy and install two more half expedits and put them on top of the other ones to fit the records in the new location. i hate them.
    couldn??t sleep last nite because i sleep in front of them.
    so i had time to think.

So, here??s the Deal: the Strut has a few active collctors, Designers and other people that might be handy to get:

- a design for a decent record furniture/shelf whatever
    - maybe 50 heads who like it/would order it
    - finds somebody manufacturing it for a decent price and
    - do it!
    - get it!
    - become happy!

ban! The expedit is heaven sent for cheap yet classy record storage...hater...

although, those who have seen my bed would agree there is other options...(racecar not included)

• i grabbed two of these

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    they need to sell expedits for 45's

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    they need to sell expedits for 45's

Yeah.... I need to seriously step up my 45 storage game. Some shelves that sit nicely ontop of my 5x5 expedit would be nice.

• F*ck a f*ckin expedit.....I had to rebuild that p.o.s. like three times with all the times I've moved...and it used to be Tripledouble's before that, so I guess that means the p.o.s. has been taken apart and rebuilt like four or five times altogether...what a pain in the ass....it's so heavy to carry all those parts and move them around...and you can't repaint over the ugly fake wood color...

• i find them to work well in both of my homes. the newer plain white ones are superior. some day i will have custom built-ins made stacking

• Yeah I'm down with it all day. I ran two 2x4s into a corner at a 90 degree angle, stuck a legless ikea TV stand on top of one, and I've got a fantastic studio/record/DJ workspace for under $300.

I prefer the dark brown stain. uh, pause?

• I've made my own shelves from plywood, and built a 4 x 4 expedit, and for ease and stability, the Expedit is better than what I built, no doubt.

Now, my custom job is nice, and going on 5 years... but, the expedit is more trusted, and more solid.

If yours is f-ed up, it may be operator error, bro.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I have some decent cheap shelves this local guy named "Record Rack Jack" built for me. They are decent although ugly to have in the house. Straight particle board. I'm making my move into my new spot this weekend. Think I'm gonna go buy a gang of expedits.

• they need to sell expedits for 45's

Yeah.... I need to seriously step up my 45 storage game. Some shelves that sit nicely ontop of my 5x5 expedit would be nice.

DEAR IKEA,

This would make a grip of money. Please to be making, so you can make money.

Thanks a lot,
    -gareth

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Honestly, real talk though. If Ikea did a series of shelves strictly for lps and 45's it really would make a grip of money! They should do it. I even considered contacting them to make the suggestion. They could do an expedit that is a few inches shorter in width with a back to it or better yet make like 12 1/4 x 12 1/4 square stackable units and you can buy as many as you need.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Yeah... I have seena few people I know with expedits that they use for books or other stuff... (shudder of duscgust)... but nah seriously, a 45 one would totally kick ass. I gotta start looking around for something better than my ad hock shoe boxes, which are looking pretty tacky and also not as space effective as shalves would be.

• F*ck a f*ckin expedit.....I had to rebuild that p.o.s. like three times with all the times I've moved...and it used to be Tripledouble's before that, so I guess that means the p.o.s. has been taken apart and rebuilt like four or five times altogether...what a pain in the ass....it's so heavy to carry all those parts and move them around...and you can't repaint over the ugly fake wood color...

not to argue against you, but the problem in your case is not the expedit. If you had a wooden shelf system it would be heavier, still need to be taken apart, and would be even more of a pain in the ass. Imagine taking screws or nails out. Or glued biscuits.

I'm not saying the expedit is the best thing ever, but it's pretty great for simple record storage. I've taken mine apart a few times and they still stand strong. I'd rather have some custom made stuff like Thes, but custom made is only good for your current location because you'll build to fit your current space.

The smooth surface is also nice for easy record access.

If Ikea really wanted to target the vinyl crowd then they should make the shelves 13 inches deep and allow for a back, even a simple masonite one. They do have some shelves that fit 45s pretty well. They are downstairs towards the end, before the warehouse, near garage type supplies I think. They are black wooden boxes and come in a few different shapes. Some fit cds perfectly, some fit LPs perfectly, and I think there is one that fits 45s.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I bought my second 5x5 a couple weeks ago. Records go on the top two rows of each unit, so there's no more stooping to read spines. Books go on the lower three shelves, along with whatever else.

Pound for pound, you can't beat an Expedit to hold tons of stuff. Plus, they have all types of drawer inserts to assist with organization and appearance.

But I buy a new Expedit whenever I move. Ikea furniture does not travel well, once assembled. Since I'm a little more permanent than in years past, I decided to get two.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    You guys are complainers, we don't even get Ikea in New Zealand, no expedits full stop.

• it's really not that bad if you are careful when you take it apart. I've moved a few of them at least 3 times and they still as sturdy.

Cool Chris moves his assembled.

This guy I worked with at Amoeba told me he moved his assembled, then filled it with records at the new spot. A few weeks later it got its swerve on and gradually got more and more gangsta until it just broke and dumped the records.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I don't have a problem with expedits--I've had a couple for a while and they've held up well (never moved 'em, though).

Here's a record shelf I made a long time ago using pine lumber and crates--it's a tank (probably over-built):

• You guys are complainers, we don't even get Ikea in New Zealand, no expedits full stop.

I know the feeling. In North Carolina if you wanted one of these big Expedits you had to drive 3 hours to the nearest Ikea store because they don't deliver them, and you'd probably have to rent a truck to carry it back home.

But now that I live in LA, not only is there an Ikea store in town, but there's about 2-4 used Expedits on Craigslist every week. Still have yet to get one though.

• that's a nice shelf Reynaldo. Good use of the crates and nice who you disguised them with the pine. doesn't look like crates on 2X4s.

REM appreciation revealed.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I don't have a problem with expedits--I've had a couple for a while and they've held up well (never moved 'em, though).

Here's a record shelf I made a long time ago using pine lumber and crates--it's a tank (probably over-built):

can u pull the milk crates out? Or are they forever sealed?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

can u pull the milk crates out? Or are they forever sealed?
    I'd have to take it apart to get them out.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    ...plus, each cube holds a case of wine, overflow capacity for when the fridge is already jammed.

What up, Big Chan? What raer are you swirling?