Weekend Finds

13»

Comments

• I've often wondered about this album. Is it straight up Latin or is he starting to branch out by this time?
    I often wish I hadn't sold my Cortijo: Time Machine a few years back, nice find.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I've often wondered about this album. Is it straight up Latin or is he starting to branch out by this time?
    I often wish I hadn't sold my Cortijo: Time Machine a few years back, nice find.

I'm not sure what you mean by "branching out" here since all three of Monguito's albums on Fania in this era were basically boogaloo/Latin soul LPs (plus your standard guaguanco/guaracha/bolero mix). But none of them were "straight up Latin" in the way that I think you mean.

And the Cortijo wasn't a find - I bought this and the Monguito off the same seller but I was very lucky to get both "below market" cost.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

I've often wondered about this album. Is it straight up Latin or is he starting to branch out by this time?

I'm not sure what you mean by "branching out" here since all three of Monguito's albums on Fania in this era were basically boogaloo/Latin soul LPs (plus your standard guaguanco/guaracha/bolero mix). But none of them were "straight up Latin" in the way that I think you mean.

And the Cortijo wasn't a find - I bought this and the Monguito off the same seller but I was very lucky to get both "below market" cost.
    I wouldn't use the phrase "branching out" either but the sound and arrangements of the Latin soul tracks on Blackout are a lot closer to soul/funk than Latin/boogaloo--the drum kit changes the sound a lot, IMO.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

Kaveret - Poogy Tales

n.e.r.d. - provider (zero 7 remix)
    cypress hill - throw your set in the air 12"
    roberto roena y su apollo sound - lucky7
    charged g.b.h. - city baby atacked by rats
    etta james - self titled on chess '73
    fela - everything scatter
    joe cuba sextet - bustin out
    tosca - suzuki

• the Latin soul tracks on Blackout are a lot closer to soul/funk than Latin/boogaloo--the drum kit changes the sound a lot, IMO.

That's exactly what I was wondering.... Thanks

• back again!

^^ the rupert hine looks lame but actually sounds pretty good to me.
    the mystic mood is some sorta goofy e-z korean with hilarious liner notes
    humphery and the dumptrucks is solid country-folk.
    Graffiti looks better than it sounds.

^^Carmelia is new brunswick femme country folk, some french lyrics, sort of a one tracker to my ears. or a half tracker. OG Schooly at last. Joe Cool isnt very good.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I'm a big fan of that Frankie Lee Sims LP, and Frankie Lee in General.

Also, that is the second Specialty release I've found from 1970 with a
    great super-heavy pressing, retro-looking label, amazing sound quality
    and good liner notes (I guess I'm assuming you have a 1st pressing from
    1970) ... the other is Don & Dewey, which is a really nice set. I'm wondering
    if people know of any other LP's from around this time on Specialty of the same
    quality in music/presentation.

Nice score on the Deirdre Wilson Tabac, too. Looks clean!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Karlophone killing it again, nice LPs & 45s. The Billy Vera & Judy Clay could have been so much better though, that LP always disappoints me. I love the Lee Moses & the Johnson, Hawkins, Tatum & Durr. Good shit.

• Also, that is the second Specialty release I've found from 1970 with a

I just got a best of percy mayfield (solely for it having "Louisiana", 45 is a tough one to find, song is killer minor keyed R&B) and it is a early 70s heavy press, paste on sleeve, old label, great sound..nice record, also had a tune i didnt know, "Loose Lips" that is fire...Dustygroove had one of these LPs for like 2 or 3 dollars last week if you're interested...

• I'm a big fan of that Frankie Lee Sims LP, and Frankie Lee in General.

Also, that is the second Specialty release I've found from 1970 with a

Nice score on the Deirdre Wilson Tabac, too. Looks clean!

it is indeed the 1970 press with the thick wax, gold+black label. i dont know of others in my own collection offhand, but that "dark muddy bottom blues" comp in the same pic is also a heavy wax specialty with the old label, and its from '72!

tabac is NM, im so relieved to finally have a copy. that only took 6 years.

• Karlophone killing it again, nice LPs & 45s. The Billy Vera & Judy Clay could have been so much better though, that LP always disappoints me. I love the Lee Moses & the Johnson, Hawkins, Tatum & Durr. Good shit.

the vera/clay certainly could have been harder, tougher, better, just more interesting production... but i'll say his songs and her voice do shine thru the mis-management!

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Free.

$4

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts

I went to an estate sale this morning. Mad grippers showed up to buy records. Someone running the estate sale came outside and announced that "the records and stereo equipment are in the garage and we are about to open the door". There was a mad rush to the door and when it opened it was like a pack of wolves on a carcass. 20 people trying to get at 14 or so crates.

were the records advertised or do the gripper wolves just show up for all estate sales in your area? that collection must have been decent if your 'scraps' are that interesting. im just curious. ive been to a few estates and the ones i went to barely mentioned records at all and though the collections werent that hot, there wasnt much competition, most dudes seems to focus in other areas.

The records were advertised in the ad for the estate sale. Lots of people hit up the estate sales and garage sales here though. Most of the time it is old ladies that collect antiques and furniture. There were a lot more people there than what I have shown in the picture above. And about half the line went to the garage to to dig through the records. 99% of the time though when records are advertised for an estate sale they don't have how many they are selling and they are all usually dollar bin common terds.

copied from the ad:

ESTATE SALE

Vintage * Period * Antique

Furniture Clothing Art
    Fine, Estate and Costume Jewelry
    Karastan Rugs
    Household Contents, Appliances
    OVER 700 VINYL LPS & Stereo Gear in garage
    Plants + Gardening
    2 sets of Patio Furniture, more

SAT 9-4 SUN 10-3
    (discounting on Sunday)

CASH & CARRY
    Come by!

Along with this picture:

• Graffiti looks better than it sounds.

Isn't that the sad truth? Your only consolation is you can sell it for 300$

You're one lucky mo'fo' getting into a heavy collection, feels like years since I've been so lucky. Dig it to death.

This week a couple of holes were filled. Been wanting the Mussolini ever since I heard his stuff on that Easy Tempo Comp back in the day.

• DOORSTEP FIND

OUT AND ABOUT FINDS