The Hines Ward Hate Thread

phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Yes Bi-racial may be in, but every time i see your smiley chipmunk face, I want to punch it. You're a dirty player and I hope you're too hurt to play in the SuperBowl. Out. p.s. - Please Raj don't ban me.

Comments

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    Your hate only makes him stronger. Keep it coming! Just remember that if he doesn't play, Limas Sweed does. Go back and check Sweed's hit on Corey Ivy.

Pick your poison.

By the way, The Baltimore Sun (of all publications) disagrees with you.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-faceoff1024,0,6574342.column

"Keep your head on a swivel."

Anyone who has played football has had this term drilled into their brain thousands of times. It means, roughly translated, that as a defender, you never pursue a ball carrier without glancing in all directions first. Lock your gaze on the runner, and you're likely to get knocked on your butt by a wide receiver who isn't afraid of contact.

No one does this better than Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward, and it's one of the reasons he's one of my favorite football players. (Sorry, Baltimore.) The people who think he's a dirty player - as some suggested last week when Ward crushed Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Keith Rivers and broke his jaw - don't get it. Ward is, in fact, the exact opposite. It's not a cheap shot to hit a defender when he's not looking as long as you do it above the waist.

No one cries foul when defenders hold up a ball carrier so that the third or fourth man arriving on the scene can deliver a nasty lick. And no one raises a stink when defenseless receivers, usually left hanging out to dry by a rookie quarterback, are creamed.

Defenders don't like Ward because he never lets them relax, he's tough as nails and he's impossible to seek retribution against. Ward isn't out to hurt them. He does, however, strike fear in their hearts. And because it's so unusual - especially in this era where prima donnas such as Terrell Owens and Randy Moss reign supreme - it makes defenders furious. The NFL has hinted it's going to keep an eye on Ward, which is ridiculous.

I'd take Ward on my team in a second. And you should, too.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Yes Bi-racial may be in, but every time i see your smiley chipmunk face, I want to punch it. You're a dirty player and I hope you're too hurt to play in the SuperBowl. Out.

p.s. - Please Raj don't ban me.

Don't tell me... you're the 8th million person to jump on the Cards bandwagon?

Cards are gonna fold up like lawn chairs at the Super Bowl.

They are believing their own hype and have two weeks to think about it.

And oh... when did football get so soft? Steelers are f*cking tough, mang. Deal.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The two week wait before the Super Bowl are the two worst sports weeks of the year.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Don't tell me... you're the 8th million person to jump on the Cards bandwagon?

I don't know how anyone could believe the hype about the Cards. In the penultimate game of the regular season, the Pats destroyed them 47-7. It was 47-0 with three minutes left in the third quarter. If we hadn't eased off the gas, we could have dropped 60 on them, no problem.

Cards = pretenders.

The two week wait before the Super Bowl are the two worst sports weeks of the year.

At least next year, the Pro Bowl game will be played the week before the Super Bowl.

• Don't tell me... you're the 8th million person to jump on the Cards bandwagon?

I don't know how anyone could believe the hype about the Cards. In the penultimate game of the regular season, the Pats destroyed them 47-7. It was 47-0 with three minutes left in the third quarter. If we hadn't eased off the gas, we could have dropped 60 on them, no problem.

Cards = pretenders.

Brett Favre and the Jets put up 56 points on them! 6 touchdown passes!

I like rooting for the underdog as much as the next guy, but the Cards are toast!

I liked Ben trash talking yesterday. He said, "When Wisenhunt was here he was nothing special," or something like that.

And Rock, at least we have Sunday afternoon hockey! Although you're in Texas so you will be able to be outdoors sooner than us!

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    Yes Bi-racial may be in

Quit hatin' on my blasian brother.

Go Steelers!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    He made being a "half-breed" kinda hip in Korea.

At least for a while.

Until Mr. Ward they pretty much got shit on.

I liked Ben trash talking yesterday. He said, "When Wisenhunt was here he was nothing special," or something like that.

Ouch. It's obvious that Ben does get along better with Bruce Ariens but wow. Surely Whis made a better OC than BA. I guess Ben wouldn't say anything to the contrary leading up to his second SB though.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Not a Card fans, just hate Mr. Ward's swagger. Dude can throw some blocks though.

Not a Card fans, just hate Mr. Ward's swagger. Dude can throw some blocks though.

Now that seems almost level-headed. I thought this was supposed to be a hate thread. Next thing, you'll be admitting that you'd have an entirely different opinion of the man if he were on your favorite team. C'mon man! Where's the hate?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    A dirty player? He's what every football player should aspire to...going above and beyond your position in a smart and tough way.

Yeah, I grew up being told how grateful I should be that my parents got married--otherwise I would be an orphan working in a gas station or something.

And you want to talk playing dirty? How many times have you seen people try to grab a piece of Troy Polamalu's flowing mane? Haterz.

You want to talk playing dirty? How many times have you seen people try to grab a piece of Troy Polamalu's flowing mane? Haterz.

That is completely legal and the smart thing to do. If dude doesn't want his hair grabbed as part of the tackling process, he should secure it under his helmet.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

Yeah, I grew up being told how grateful I should be that my parents got married--otherwise I would be an orphan working in a gas station or something.

You want to talk playing dirty? How many times have you seen people try to grab a piece of Troy Polamalu's flowing mane? Haterz.

I've heard some really bad shit.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Nah, Ward is the type of player you hate unless he plays on your team; then you rep him hard.

How can people hate on a receiver that actually cares enough to put serious blocks on people?

Nah, Ward is the type of player you hate unless he plays on your team; then you rep him hard.

True, I hate him because is he is good. But who says hate has to be rational?!! : )

That is completely legal and the smart thing to do. If dude doesn't want his hair grabbed as part of the tackling process, he should secure it under his helmet.

Yes, I realize it's legal, but it also seems a little gratuitous to me, eg, picking a player off the ground by his hair.

Yes, I realize it's legal, but it also seems a little gratuitous to me, eg, picking a player off the ground by his hair.

Well, if you can only reach his hair, you're not going just let him run free, right? I don't think dudes are trying to tackle him by the hair when they could take him down with a more effective body tackle. If he's smart, he'll oil that shit up the the nth degree so dudes can't get a grip.

• Please Raj ban him.

HW = greatest post-70s steeler, hands down

Please Raj ban him.

Very possible. He's broken all of the Stallworth/Swan records. He's always reliable, has remained remarkably healthy and is a real leader on the squad. You may hear some argument for Greg Lloyd on this topic, but for me it's got to be Hines.

• Please Raj ban him.

Very possible. He's broken all of the Stallworth/Swan records. He's always reliable, has remained remarkably healthy and is a real leader on the squad. You may hear some argument for Greg Lloyd on this topic, but for me it's got to be Hines.

For real? Better than The Bus?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    If he's smart, he'll oil that shit up the the nth degree so dudes can't get a grip.

For real? Better than The Bus?

Bettis > Lloyd. Yes, definitely. Not sure what I was thinking. Bus is going to be a first ballot Hall of Famer (as will Hines). Excellent point! Both Bettis and Ward make their homes in Roswell, GA by the way!

Speaking of Bus and the HOF. His last season was 2005 but he technically retired in 2006. Does that make him eligible for the HOF in 2010 or 2011?

• Where do you rank pre-injury Rod Woodson?

Also didn't you have a sick reciever in the mid-90s? Can't remember his name.

Where do you rank pre-injury Rod Woodson?

Also didn't you have a sick reciever in the mid-90s? Can't remember his name.

Yancey Thigpen? He does not compare to Hines at all. I would place him behind Louis Lipps (unless that's who you meant) either way....Hines trumps them.

Rod's is a great story and he'll always be a respected Steeler alum but I have a feeling that if PGH can keep some of the young DBs they have now, Woodson's legacy will not hold up to time. Plus, Deshea Townshend is wearing Woodson's number. While the Steelers don't really retire jerseys (there has been only one), the equipment manager has held a long standing tradition that in order to wear the number that any of the greats wore, you have to earn it. Is Deshea better than Woodson? I guess time will tell.

Yo wait - when did this thread become the "I love Hines Wards and the Steelers" thread. Plaese to poast only HATT!

Yo wait - when did this thread become the "I love Hines Wards and the Steelers" thread. Plaese to poast only HATT!

You tried, and remember, I was rooting for you But I guess love reigns supreme.

• Hines is dude amongst dudes. much love.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Cards = pretenders.

As a fellow Pats fan,

My money's on the Steelers, but that Cards team that got
    stomped out by the Pats were not even in the stadium with
    them, that team mailed it in like the-mack media mail "heavy
    shit takes longer" style, and came in not giving a shit if they
    won that game or lost. They've sure as hell stepped up in the
    playoffs, and for a Pats fan to call them "pretenders" while
    our team didn't even make the postseason and Arizona is in the
    Super Bowl, well, that's a little too mad doggie for me.