124»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

You expect more - I accept what it is.

^^that's my bottom line.^^

how is this song acceptable?

I dont even call it a full song - its just some "random" moment

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

i was never in need of any "obama anthem". IMO that video/song is just a reflection of the sad state of what passes for music/what the public will accept in '09. especially coming from a man that many consider to be one of the GOATs. that is all. i feel no need to read into it any further. the fact that jay felt it cool to bring up his baller status on a song about OBAMA BECOMING PRESIDENT speaks wonders about him.

no diss, but the fact that a handful of you dudes on here can't accept the fact that a few of us find this song extremely weak makes you all look insecure. that song is on "eeny, meeny, miny, moe" status and you guys are trying to defend it for whatever reason.

expect more from your favorite lyricists.

Exactly

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I actually thought the sit/walk/run/fly shit was really clever. The rest was stupid, but what's in soulman's location was dope to me. Jeezy is f*cking retarded though.

• Jeezy in 2009 >>> Jay in 2009

(I'd say based on the last 2 respective albums of each of these dudes that this is not up for debate.)

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I actually thought the sit/walk/run/fly shit was really clever.

VERY clever, however Jay-Z didn't make that up. Wish I knew who did though!

I agree with pretty much everything Cas says. I can't believe I was so excited to get home from work and watch that video. Talk about a letdown!

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Now THIS gives me goosebumps:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28802590/from/ET/?gt1=43001

[i]Too much dancing makes man, 83, miss bus[/b]
    He had to find another bus home from the inauguration

SOUTH BEND, Ind. - An 83-year-old South Bend man said he missed his bus home from the presidential inauguration because he was dancing. Mussa Muhammad said his "spirit jumped sky-high" when President Barack Obama took the oath of office Tuesday.

He became separated from his group and, he said, "just danced and danced" with a couple of young women he met along the way.

Muhammad's tour group waited five hours for him, but left Washington after tour leaders spoke with his wife. Rev. Lefate Owens of Elkhart Community Missionary Baptist Church said she assured them that Muhammad would be all right.
    Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

Muhammad said he got on the wrong bus and got off in Pittsburgh, where he took a Greyhound bus home.

He arrived in South Bend Wednesday, still wearing the black-and-white suit with red dots that he wore to the inauguration.

• Now THIS gives me goosebumps:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28802590/from/ET/?gt1=43001

[i]Too much dancing makes man, 83, miss bus[/b]
    He had to find another bus home from the inauguration

SOUTH BEND, Ind. - An 83-year-old South Bend man said he missed his bus home from the presidential inauguration because he was dancing. Mussa Muhammad said his "spirit jumped sky-high" when President Barack Obama took the oath of office Tuesday.

He became separated from his group and, he said, "just danced and danced" with a couple of young women he met along the way.

Muhammad's tour group waited five hours for him, but left Washington after tour leaders spoke with his wife. Rev. Lefate Owens of Elkhart Community Missionary Baptist Church said she assured them that Muhammad would be all right.
    Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

Muhammad said he got on the wrong bus and got off in Pittsburgh, where he took a Greyhound bus home.

He arrived in South Bend Wednesday, still wearing the black-and-white suit with red dots that he wore to the inauguration.

Brotha's try to pose, up with the Tribesmen
    Rhythm on your toes, yes it's the funk again
    Appreciate the flow, denounce the circuit breaka's
    Do it with the best, the movers and the shaka's
    Bustin' out your heap, this for rap my vehicle
    Burnin' up the felts, rhythm's up to me
    It will be strong like a bomb, quick like a commet
    Can I get whateva' from Mr. Muhammad?

• i really dont have any probs with the video...im not blown away or ass hurt about it....as i dont expect much from rappers.

yall are right tho..its jay z.. and with all that energy for change in that room, last thing i want from him is redundancy.

we know jays rich. for a long time now....i feel like this though, your my age... stop speaking on the obvious...let the kids do that.
    you should be talmbout how none of that shit matters. none of your riches mean anything. all those people in that room are magnetized by jay. he could say anything and they'd be dazzled. switch it up.

if i were to take a group of rappers from the past 5 years and count how many times theres references to whips, chains, and wrists being frozen....what number would i be on ?

your first lines for your obama jam, are about your car and your diamonds !!? really ?
    yay. thats the spirit.

jays still that dude.

2009: shits all about money, aint a damn thang changed.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Jeezy in 2009 >>> Jay in 2009

• Cas - the difference is the room is not being excited by JayRo spraying them with a 40 bottle, or by Q-Tip yelling "Youthful Expression!", or by Sunspot Jonz yelling "SLAPBOX WITH THE DEVIL MUTHAFUCKA UH UH YEAH YEEAAAAAH!"

They're excited by this particular moment. And it's not Self-Scientific or Suga Free or even Kanye West on the stage, it's Young Jeezy. So it is what it is. I'm not even really down with the original song. But this wasn't about that.

I don't really care about Jay's lyrics here (although that shit meant a lot to my oldest and dearest friend, a mixed cat who's proud as hell anyone cheers for "in fact, he's half white"... but I digress) - both Jay-Z and Young Jeezy have plenty of material that scratches my itch for lyricism. But it wasn't about that this time.

Anyway, it wasn't a "song" to me at all... it was (at least, when I first watched the video) a freestyle of several bars. That's all. If I had known that it would've been held to the standards of Kane and Chuck D by you guys I wouldn't have poasted it. My reaction was pretty much amazement that dudes would get into an e-scrap about it.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    My reaction was pretty much amazement that dudes would get into an e-scrap about it.

judging by your posts in the kanye thread, it appears that you're pretty worked up by the opposition to this video as well. jay-z dropped the ball. it's not that big of a deal, man. if you like...i'll paypal you some beer money.

• I'm fine with Jay's ball handling.

But in the Kanye thread, my tongue is planted firmly in cheek.

Paging Herm.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I am curious to know how Jay will react when 45% of his taxable income goes to the government and his new prez.

I wonder if his song will change.

• Damn you're pretty suck on the tax thing, huh?

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Damn you're pretty stuck on the tax thing, huh?

Yes.

I'm just saying, what Obama represents socially and fiscally is something I fully support. However, his stance on income taxes is suspect (though it sounds like he may be back-peddling on what his tune was during the campaign).

We'll see what he does next year regarding the scheduled expiration of the "death tax".

• Nah, I hear you... I'm in a far different situation and cheer his stance (lower taxes on my bracket, particularly as it concerns small businesses and their owners )

But for Jay and them.... 55% of his taxable income is still prolly enough to feed a small city.

• But for Jay and them.... 55% of his taxable income is still prolly enough to feed a small city.

'Sactly. Hell, even Reagan raised taxes when he realized that the economy was in a world of shit.