Timeless Concert Series - HO. LEE. SHIT.

2»

Comments

• mulatulicious!!

just playing...i want to know too

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Alas, I had such a bad head cold that I wasn't able to stay as fully focused as I may have wanted to. Esp. since his set ran about half an hour late (or maybe it was just the hypnotic grooves of his compositions), I was fading towards the end. Probably wasn't a great idea to drive out there alone with three different kinds of pain-killers in my system either but F*ck it, I wasn't about to miss this show.

I'd be curious to hear other strutters chime in on this. Personally, this was Mulatu's first and possibly only performance in LA so that alone, makes it meaningful. It was definitely an experience to see his songs performed live.

When I was slightly more lucid, Cut Chemist put together a innovative mix of African records using one turntable, a mixer and some kind of sampler hooked into a series of footpads that allowed him to stacks loops of what he was playing. At first, it seemed a bit gimmicky, if only because they had a big screen projection split in half - one part focused on his mixer and turntable, the other of his feet - but from a creative point of view, it was very impressive in terms of how he built these dense layers of loops. I suspect his ideas on how to work with this began with the "Hard Sell" tour since he and Shadow seemed to be working with similar ideas back then.

• *PET PEEVE ALERT*[/b]

you gave me the HIP HOP HANDSHAKE. now im gon give you the benefit of the doubt cuz you did say you were sick and maybe you were being polite not trying to spread germs. but i reached out to shake your hand and u put out the OLLIE G fist.

and i'll get the ball rolling. the show was at best mediocre. im not trying to take away the fact that it was great seeing a legend and the 2nd half of the show did get more interesting. but mulatu seemed frail in his appearance and his playing. and though there were some really great musicians on stage, they just werent a good band. inconsistent with a contrived mulatu sound of sorts. that said, the violist, pianist and tenor killed it.

*PET PEEVE ALERT*[/b]

you gave me the HIP HOP HANDSHAKE. now im gon give you the benefit of the doubt cuz you did say you were sick and maybe you were being polite not trying to spread germs. but i reached out to shake your hand and u put out the OLLIE G fist.

and i'll get the ball rolling. the show was at best mediocre. im not trying to take away the fact that it was great seeing a legend and the 2nd half of the show did get more interesting. but mulatu seemed frail in his appearance and his playing. and though there were some really great musicians on stage, they just werent a good band. inconsistent with a contrived mulatu sound of sorts. that said, the violist, pianist and tenor killed it.

Ha - for real dude, I was just trying to protect the Shig! I was trying not to make you sick and since I knew you, I figured the pound would be acceptable. Unfortunately, when your friend Ben came up, he extended his hand and I just automatically shook it before realizing "oops, I hope dude doesn't get my bug!"

And I think your review above is pretty on point.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I'm kind of relieved that it wasn't all that...I was thinking back of the theatre by myself, 1000 fan boys cheering on the intros.

A guy at the record store told me, David Axelrod is gonna come out with a 30 piece orchestra and do his thing. He told he wasn't completely feeling his previous show either. Instant pass for me.

Not familiar with Arthur Verocai's music, but I get a feeling that might be better.

• 1000 fan boys cheering on the intros.

LOL. encore on that loop, yo!!!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I'm kind of relieved that it wasn't all that...I was thinking back of the theatre by myself, 1000 fan boys cheering on the intros.

A guy at the record store told me, David Axelrod is gonna come out with a 30 piece orchestra and do his thing. He told he wasn't completely feeling his previous show either. Instant pass for me.

Not familiar with Arthur Verocai's music, but I get a feeling that might be better.

Ah come on Y, this is a once in a lifetime concert series. Axelrod's music has never been performed in this manner in LA. As B+ said in his KCRW MBE interview: "this is LA music"

That said I think it's a real gem for the fans..I've been listening to the Verocai LP for years now so it's a no brainer for me, same for Axelrod. Gives me an excuse to head up to LA, too....

See you all at Verocai and Axelrod!

-M

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

Did the store dude go to the London show, or just watch the DVD? The recording on that disc didn't do the live experience any kind of justice.

I was at the London show.......I'll be at the LA show, with the killer-ist seats I could get.

• How was young Mr. Holland?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I had a great time. However, I couldn't help but feel like his vibes were miked low or that one picking up the high register keys was muted. Also, I really wish he would of used those timbales when standing behind them. Nitpicks aside, that was the highlight of the weekend.

• I had a great time. However, I couldn't help but feel like his vibes were miked low or that one picking up the high register keys was muted. Also, I really wish he would of used those timbales when standing behind them. Nitpicks aside, that was the highlight of the weekend.
    I don't think it was a mic issue, he just seemed to be playing the vibes real soft. Speaking of the timbales, were they as well as those congas he had just there for aesthetics? He was barely touching them when he "played" them. It seemed like he didn't play vibes for most of the songs. All that said, the band was great (Azar Lawrence killed!), the songs were great (aside from one during the first set that was kinda smooth jazz-esque), and the show was real enjoyable.

• How was young Mr. Holland?

Really? Nothing?

I came in late during Will's set and then had to step outside to talk to some friends. I can't really say anything about it one way or another but from conversations I've had with some other folks, some felt like his set was sick, some felt like it was a bit anemic.

Go figure.