What is your favorite instrument?

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Saw during the PBS pledge drive I watched a Eric Clapton's Crossroads Music Festival. All the guitar wankers from rockbluescountryfolkpop were there thrashing away. I realized that for many people, maybe most, the guitar is the favorite instrument. Certainly was mine for many years. So what is your favorite instrument?http://www.youtube.com/results?search_qu...esnum=0&spell=1

Comments

• bass (electric, double bass, TB 303, etc.)
    Drums is a close second

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Kazoo

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    my man brought back these goats toe nails on a piece of string from nepal that you shake. easily my LEAST favourite instrument.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    Drums... no question.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Turntables.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    slide whistle.

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
    my man brought back these goats toe nails on a piece of string from nepal that you shake. easily my LEAST favourite instrument.

I think I got some of those once.
    Smelled so funky that I had to box them up and get rid of them.

One time I played this gamelan in this import store.
    Sounded so beautiful and perfect.
    At the time I thought $500 was too much for it (and I couldn't afford it anyway then).
    Now I kick myself.

• hard to decide... currently a tie between the upright bass, sitar, drums, and piano

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Usually to play it's guitar, sometimes drums. To listen to though sometimes organ & vibraphone make the cut. I've been really enjoying playing my harmonicas lately too.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    No favorites. Some that I like to play: Traps, Tabla, Grand Piano. Some that I enjoy hearing: Bansuri, Guitar, Kora, Baritone Sax, Organ.

Is it possible for one instrument to be enough? I think not.

• chimes or vibes

• trash can.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I don't have a favorite, per se, but I'm a sucker for a nasty, well-dropped baritone sax in an, ah, uptempo number. The reedier, the better.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    trash can.

thrown down a flight of stairs.

• trash can.

thrown down a flight of stairs.

i think you meant to poast that in the flying lotus thread

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Wazoo

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    butt bongo

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    Being a drummer mainly I will have to say drums.

However, one of my favorite instruments, when applied correctly, is the harpsichord. Hearing that shit in psych and funky shit just makes me warm and fuzzy inside.

• Vibes/Hammond organ

• drums, then bass, then piano/key board, trumpet

• You're probably right about the guitar being a lot of people's favorite instrument, but it never really did it for me...

Drums have always been an absolute number 1. Vibes and flute (played in the right way that is) are close seconds.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    To play, it's the drums.

To listen to, outside of the usual suspects, I like the Hammond B-3, sitar, sarod, tabla, Mellotron, and dobro.

• skin flute and butt trumpet combo

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    1. Drums
    2. Bass
    3. Tambourine

Honorary mention to the tenor sax because that's what I played back in the day.

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    Mellotron

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Bass, I love bass... Electric or acoustic. As a dude who works with wood, I respect the beauty ofa big upright bass... all them curves in all the right places. And the sound, it's the only instrument I could listen to solo all day.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    all them curves in all the right places.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Rhodes
    Piano
    Drums
    Bass

I been playing the latter two 20 years but bass and drum solos (mostly) bore me. Go figure.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    That Crossroads Fest featured one guitar player after another, each playing more notes than the last. That stuff is popular. Which is why I started thinking about it.

I really like hearing musicians who are listening and playing off each other and responding and everyone working to make the SONG, not themselves sound good. Usually you can hear this happening in acoustic music. Sure do hear the great studio groups like the Dixie Fliers playing in that kind of chamber ensemble way. Kind Of Blue and many other Miles Davis things. When I think of this Jody Stecher's lp Going Up On A Mountain was the first one that jumped into my mind.

Anywho, I was thinking about this and I realized my favorite instrument in the human voice.

Voice

Guitars, and saxs and violins sound good when they have a voice like quality.

• piano in classical music

guitar in rock and folk

vocals in pop

bass or trumpet in Jazz (unless it's Jack Teagarden playing)

percussion in Latin