does the GRE require serious prep?

2»

Comments

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Thanks for all the knowledge dropped. I don't think I'd need a Kaplan course, and all the programs I might apply to will take my GRE score seriously. Hopefully I can just get a decent job instead, but that's probably not realistic right now. My best friend from high school will be working for Wells Fargo in SF for a $65K starting salary (though she'd be working around the clock). She got her $10K bonus early just for signing. WTF? I'll be starving for the next few years.

• all i can tell you is:

1. if you've taken the old school 1600 pt SAT exam, your score there is pretty indicative of the score you'll get on the GRE, give or take 100 pts. So use that as a baseline

2. ETS has free practice tests on their website, both written and electronic

3. Its all about practice, i studied for maybe 2 weeks prior, and did nothing but practice tests, and still did pretty decent. decent enough to offset my embarrassingly low undergrad GPA anyways.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I feel bad for Almond.
    F*ck, I'm unemployed, can barely pay the bills...but your curfew boggles me.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Almond.

Come to Amsterdam for a week or two. I'll sort you out mate.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Become a wild-eyed drifter.

I can get into a state school fine and live at home and have a curfew of 6 pm until I'm 25.

Whoa.

I was exaggerating a little. Moving back in would involve forgoing most of the independence I've grown used to as a college student living on my own. My parents watch Fox news, think that people in cold climates still live in igloos, still use VHS and believe that any fun had past 8: 30 pm is not fun but trouble. I'm slowly mentally preparing myself to be treated like a 16 year old again. Why the fusk did people have to buy houses they couldn't afford and ruin the economy and thus my job prospects?

I just checked out a GRE prep book from my university's library reserves. Damn it, only a 2 hour reserve. I'd buy the book, but I'm pinching pennies in lieu of my future joblessness.

all i can tell you is:

1. if you've taken the old school 1600 pt SAT exam, your score there is pretty indicative of the score you'll get on the GRE, give or take 100 pts. So use that as a baseline

I got a 1320/1600 on the SAT I, not great, but not bad, either.
    I got a 2030/2400 on the SAT II. About the same ratio.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    whenever you sign up for the test, they send you a cd or book with practice stuff

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Don't take a course, but it definitely takes studying - some types of questions (8 people have to sit around a table, John can't sit next to Rachel, Rachel can't sit across from Tom, etc..) get much much easier with practice. Same with the vocabulary questions.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    PS - Grad school was fun and worthwhile. No regrets.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    i've got a ba in econ., but am not looking at MA Econ programs. i recently took the gmat (a different beast altogether) and scored in the 95th percentile. if you're looking to get into one of the top programs, you've probably missed the deadlines, but it's never too early to start preparing for next year (most apps are released in august)
    here's what i would recommend:
    - apply next year. you simply don't have enough time right now to turn in an app that adequately represents what you have to offer to the program.
    - copy all the questions off the current app, they usually only change one or two of the essay questions, so you can start early on those
    - take the kaplan course. it's around $1G, and well worth it if the score carries a lot of weight with the program (LSE, MIT, etc are all heavily impacted and the score weight on the app is huge.) if you're going to self study, get the kaplan literature. the princeton review et al sucks. self study might not be a bad (and $$ saving option) on the GRE. most folks i know that have taken it say it's pretty basic math stuff, and if you completed the same econ type courses i did in school (econometrics, lots of calc) you'll be fine, just get a study guide to brush up.
    - good luck.

I just did 70 ish pages of GRE verbal prep. Didn't do too poorly. Don't need to spend $1000 on a course.

I can apply to a state program still, as their applications are due later and I have time. I originally wanted to work for a couple years and go to biz school. I hate having to revise that plan.

Thanks again, strutters.

• Thank you, Ariel. I didn't consider grad school before now, and realize that some deadlines have passed (fusk!). Sigh.

Canada may be different, but yup, most deadlines have passed.

From an all staff/faculty meeting today, I found that grad applications have softened (fewer) this year for my field (communication), especially for MAs. Students are apparently flocking to business and law, which they perceive as more practical.

And they're probably right. But, I mean, at least it's not sociology (hi O!).

I want to go to business school, but can't get into a decent one without work experience. And in this market, a BS in Agricultural and Resource Economics won't get me far. I predict a future in waitressing. I'll let you all know how it affects my record collection.

• There are several factors. I'm finishing my undergrad now and plan to go directly into grad school (non-degree seeking) and then apply to graduate programs after I have had time to prepare. It certainly depends on the programs - along the lines of what most of you have already expressed. But it can benefit a person who may have lower grades. The GRE can help lift their standings, along with writing samples (philosophy/english programs) and letters of recommendation. I've talked to several graduate students and professors about the roles of the necessary aspects asked for when applying. They usually say it all matters - and one thing doesn't necessary out weigh another. So having a stellar writing sample may allow you to squeak by if your grades are on the weaker side. For instance, a friend of mine who had fine grades got into a very competitive philosophy program because of his paper about an issue that the program specializes in. If he had attempted to get into another program with the same grades and paper he may have gotten denied. It's utterly contextual.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I have a bachelor of International Business Management. Majored in marketing but it was heavy on the Economics, my advice is to come to Amsterdam and get f*ckin twisted.

Sounds like fun. Probably can't afford it. Maybe in 45-50 years when I reach retirement.