does the GRE require serious prep?

AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Job market is dismal, I'm set to graduate from college in a few months, so fusk it, I'll apply to grad school. Never planned to, have crappy grades, and now I have a shitload of stuff to catch up on.Does the GRE require any serious prep?

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    My advice has always been for people to take as many sample tests as they can stomach. The questions aren't that difficult; it's adapting to the format that will help you perform better, IMO.

Note: many schools don't even give a f--- about GREs.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    My advice has always been for people to take as many sample tests as they can stomach. The questions aren't that difficult; it's adapting to the format that will help you perform better, IMO.

Note: many schools don't even give a f--- about GREs.

If you say so stallyn.
    Study a lot and take the practice exams.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I took it last minute to apply to this program last year. Did not study worth shit and sucked at the math but still got the score they required. I think it depends what kind of program you are looking at.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    I'm an economics major. I usually do fine on verbal, but an econ programs are going to want to see a good math score.

I can get into a state school fine and live at home and have a curfew of 6 pm until I'm 25. But at the moment, I'd like to think I'm capable of a little more.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

I can get into a state school fine and live at home and have a curfew of 6 pm until I'm 25.

Whoa.

uber conservative parents related

• How much prep you should do totally depends on you, your goals, and the program you're applying to.

I would recommend picking up a princeton review book and reading it, then take several practice tests over about a month. Spend 6-8 hours per week on studying. ETS offers for free download Powerprep, which lets to take several review and scored tests (with the exception of writing, which obviously isn't automatically scored). This will also give you experience taking the computerized test.

A hard science will value the quantitative almost exclusively - it's not unusual to see international students admitted with 400s in verbal - while a history or english program will value verbal over quantitative. And like O said, many programs don't put much stock in the GRE. See if the grad program you're applying to releases stats on average GRE/GPA. That should give you some sense.

The GRE score range varies greatly based on the competitiveness of the program. Generally, you won't stand out without a combined score at least in the 50th percentile. Below 1000 combined may track you out of consideration. In a Ph.D program at the school I teach at, 1375 is about mean. But the average for one of the Master's programs is high 1100s (this is all public info, BTW).

Also, some students just naturally test better. I've known several people who test nearly perfectly (high 1500s combined). If you look at the curve of GRE quantitative scores, a good number get 800s. I did okay when I took it, but I tested consistently higher (nearly 100 points) on verbal without time constraints.

Thank you, Ariel. I didn't consider grad school before now, and realize that some deadlines have passed (fusk!). Sigh.

Methinks your parents would not approve of your time on the Strut.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    At my time of taking it, they were trying to implement a writing section, they had me do the writing section but it did not count toward the total score.

I would brush up on many of subjects: Geometry, Trigometry, Pre-Calculus, and your english basics.

Get the study book, study for three months, and do all the practice tests you can.

I remember the first question came up, I had never seen this calculus problem before, I thought I was fucked, it turned out well.

• almond, i took it 5 years ago and had over a month to study. i got two of those books (kaplan,etc) and read them cover to cover and did all their exercises and tests. actually, i bought one and read the other in borders for days. they give you a lot of testing prep that will save you time, help you avoid easy pitfalls and take the test strategically. i was working at night, so i was able to put 3-4 hours a day into it.
    apparently the math is easier than SAT math. i dont remember a calculus question. i also had a writing section. igot790 verbal (99 percentile) and 760 math(80percentile). note that you have to be near perfect in math to score in a high percentile. i guess theres a lot of heads acing that shit.

long story short...read the study books start to finish and take practice tests. good luck. i had fun with it

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Thank you, Ariel. I didn't consider grad school before now, and realize that some deadlines have passed (fusk!). Sigh.

Yeah, deadlines have passed, but the good thing about them is they come up again a year later. Every year. Now you have time to prepare properly. If you want to go back to school, its going to be harder now. Everyone is thinking like you, and many schools have reduced the admission rate due to losses in funding. However, you can still get in.

If you can afford a Kaplan test then do it. They're usually around a G, but the participants in these courses basically set the standard for scoring expectations.

When I did it I bought a practice book, as well as a vocab kit.

Look into your schools first, and figure out if you even have to take them, and if you do how they rank the scores when they review applications for admission

I gotta disagree with the idea that Kaplan is worth the cost.

Almond: what kind of graduate program are you contemplating? Econ?

Having been on a graduate admissions committee before, here's how we factored in the GRE:

The first thing any committee wants to do is winnow the field. So there's a baseline GRE score and GPA that we're looking for - anything that falls under either can be (though not always) automatically disqualified.

But the inverse isn't true: an exceptionally high GRE or GPA won't help your application in the same way a low one can hurt it.

My advice would be to research the programs you're applying for and find out how relevant the GRE is for it. I think you could put the time and money into scoring really high on the GRE but to what aim? I think it's more rational (not to mention affordable) to see how you'd score in general and figure out if that's "good enough" to make that baseline cut.

Obviously, it depends on the program. If you're applying for math program, obviously, expectations would be different. However, most liberal arts programs probably won't really care so much either way.

the way the GRE works is simple - applications that score under a set number get disqualified automatically (same goes for GPAs).

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Well, she said she's looking at Econ programs, so I think she's wrestling a different beast. They probably don't require a 4-5 page statement of purpose. Do they?

I don't know any program that requires a 4-5 page statement of purpose, including English programs. No committee wants to have to read that much pontification.

But again, it comes back to whether the econ programs she'd be applying for really value the GRE for anything besides an excuse to dump an application into the "no" pile.

Personally - and this is just me - it's not worth $1000 and time/trouble to pay Kaplan to get a higher score that ultimately may not factor in so much.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I agree, that it's not worth the time or money, but for some it clearly is.

Ethnomusicology programs require a 4-5 page statement of purpose. As do a lot of the other programs in the grey areas of the humanities.

If Econ programs are anything like JD programs, then the scores are pretty important. Both of my sisters are in law school, and apparently once you get your score you can determine what schools you'll get into.

I agree, that it's not worth the time or money, but for some it clearly is.

Ethnomusicology programs require a 4-5 page statement of purpose. As do a lot of the other programs in the grey areas of the humanities.

If Econ programs are anything like JD programs, then the scores are pretty important. Both of my sisters are in law school, and apparently once you get your score you can determine what schools you'll get into.

Ah, I was used to the "3 page max" on statements of purpose but I might be misremembering that. Funny that to get a job in academia, you're expected to limit yourself to just two pages but with grad school, you're expected to go double that.

I think the LSAT (or MCAT) for that matter are weighed differently than the GRE tends to be. But again, I'm not an economist.

Big Stacks is though, no? We need him to weigh in here.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    got perfect on GRE math and was in the like 87 percentile. right so like 13% of the people who take it get a perfect.

but yeah, im in grad school for chemistry now, our admissions are pretty much just looking for do you surpass the minimum GPA/GRE score, then they look at your letters of rec/research history.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Try to enter into a school program that is accredited, it helps in the long run, and you will know the program is worthy and experienced.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    sack-up and go to law school.

sack-up and go to law school.

LOL.

How's employment prospects for attorneys these days, anyways?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    My cousin just graduated with a JD from FSU. He's in South Florida working construction.

• See the Beyonce economic doom thread, bunch of retards in the 'economist' field imo. But that may make it easier to skate through grad school.

Either way practice exams are the way to go. Take them over and over til you are getting the score you want. Tons of questions get repeated that you will see on the practice exams and it will get your speed and confidence up. And take a break from this place so you aren't distracted... bad grades related.

See the Beyonce economic doom thread, bunch of retards in the 'economist' field imo.

LOL. One crackpot theory does not spoil the entire discipline (and heck, as a sociologist, I'm not even supposed to like economists).

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

I can get into a state school fine and live at home and have a curfew of 6 pm until I'm 25.

Whoa.

This may be one of the craziest things I've ever read at SS.....I hope your documentary is about parents who have a 6 pm curfew for their 25 year old son....I'd watch that for sure.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I think Almond has a coochie.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    See the Beyonce economic doom thread, bunch of retards in the 'economist' field imo.

LOL. One crackpot theory does not spoil the entire discipline (and heck, as a sociologist, I'm not even supposed to like economists).

There's beef between sociologists and economists?

• See the Beyonce economic doom thread, bunch of retards in the 'economist' field imo.

Oh sorry in further detail I would like to say I think most academic disciplines in which grey matter analysis dominates over ideas and creativity are bordering on useless. I know I know I'm sorry, they are nice people, some even good friends of mine, but they waste a lot of paper, I mean when I go to the thrift store I am amazed at all the discards of the obsolete texts from some of these fields, economics, sociology, behavioral anthropology. The idea that they serve to perpetuate any growth or good through analysis has always been suspect to me. Uh oh.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    IT HATH BEEN TOOKEN THERE

There's beef between sociologists and economists?

Not as bad as, say, evolutionists and intelligent design advocates but sociologists and economists tend to accuse the other of being too reductionist to their respective, core theories.

I mean, sociology comes directly out of a response to Marxist theory and I don't get the impression that "Das Kapital" is that well respected in economics. As well, sociology tends to look to either gov't intervention and/or social movements as the key forces for social change whereas economists value the power of the free market as the fundamental social force guiding change. (I'm being quite reductionist myself of course, but these have been my impressions).