furniture strut: 70s designer knock-offs (NRR)

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
I'm thinking about throwig out a bunch of furniture and getting some new stuff.I've always had a thing for 70s designer furntiture and did have a good 2nd hand dealer for these types of things back in Berlin. Here in NYC, prices for the OG stuff seems to be way out of proportion and even the re-issues go for way too much money.While doing some online research, I stumbled accross this Chinese seller on eBay and it appears to be same the manufacturer who all the US re-issue dealers get their shit from, selling it with a 500% to 1.000% margin.Has anybody any experience with these Chinese knock-offs?Since the whole transaction would be protected by paypal, I'm seriously considering ordering a whole bunch of this shit:http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/meitree268

Comments

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Be wary. He only has 2 feedbacks as a seller. Also, the furniture may be cheap but the shipping sure ain't...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I can just imagine people come to Frank's spot and thinking, "yo man, this egg chair smells like a reish."

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Be wary. He only has 2 feedbacks as a seller. Also, the furniture may be cheap but the shipping sure ain't...
    I've noticed the shipping prices, they seem to be but they're realistic...
    the warehouse pictures indicate that it's the same supplyer as used by various US dealers. If something goes wrong, I can always go for a Paypal chargeback.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I have 2 of these:

They're 80's era knockoffs though. They were in the lobby of my old bank branch (I asst-managed it). They were replacing them with some new boring seats so I asked how I could get one, 5 minutes later dude was helping me put them in my car...free!

I regret not getting all 4, but I'm happy with two. They were in an ugly red bank lobby color but they are currently in the an upholstery shop being redone in aubergine microfiber.

Frank, if you're in NYC, keep an eye on craigslist - you can even create a RSS for your key search terms.

You can find some pretty remarkable bargains on furniture with patience.

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    B/W

B/W

Ha ha! They DO look like that! Thank God they're comfy!

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I can just imagine people come to Frank's spot and thinking, "yo man, this egg chair smells like a reish."

haha... if it's well done, I don't mind furniture reishs all that much, saves you the worries of what might have happened on that sofa nefore you got it...

I kinda dig this one here:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NewModern-Scoop-Dome...A1%7C240%3A1318
    shell caramel brown, leather chocolate brown might look real nice in here...

I've noticed the shipping prices, they seem to be but they're realistic...

the warehouse pictures indicate that it's the same supplyer as used by various US dealers. If something goes wrong, I can always go for a Paypal chargeback.

I'd just be really wary with a foreign seller. Paypal may offer some layer of protection but it's not guaranteed. Just in case, you might want to use Paypal + credit card (vs. direct-from-checking).

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Frank, if you're in NYC, keep an eye on craigslist - you can even create a RSS for your key search terms.

You can find some pretty remarkable bargains on furniture with patience.

That might just be the thing to do... Thanx! Appreciate the thought!

btw, you gotta love the Chinglish in the ebay ads:

"Satisfy you at most with the best ones" is our motto.

Essential heads understand the transaction.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    aubergine

where's that saucy photo of young phonics and his manpurse?

aubergine

where's that saucy photo of young phonics and his manpurse?

I'm sorry...eggplant.

It was either that or charcoal grey. I'm not afraid of color.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Love my Eames Knock-offs!!!

• These prices are suspiciously low.

• hi frank,
    check out white on white in the city and brooklyn. they carry all the knock-offs!
    http://www.whiteonwhite.com/

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Thanx S***t!

• There's also a place on bowery below broome that has the knockoffs too, among all those lamp shops on the east side of the street

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Thanx a million for the info, will check those places out tomorrow!