Mac-N-Cheese Recipes

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
I was never a cheese cat,but ill fusk w/ mac-n-cheese here and there.I made it for the first time after X-Mass w/ my fam, just to see where I have to upgrade and tweak.I used mild cheddar,sharp cheddar,and monterey jack. Buttermilk and breadcrumbs.There got to be some M&C fiends out there....hit me off w/ your variations.

Nutmeg? Mustard - wet or dry?Elbow Pasta? Or Ziti....Penne....etc.

Comments

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    is there a reason why you used mild & sharp cheddar in your recipe, would they cancel each others flavor and make the cheddar taste somewhere down the middle?

was this a baked dish?

ive had a few using some gouda and parmesean.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    bechamel, yay or nay?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I wanted it in the middle.....

pause

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Salt and pepper in the sauce, tiny pat of butter to get it to stick, yet not add too many extra calories. I like Vermont cheddar because I like it as sharp as fusk. My friend uses egg and breadcrumbs and all that stuff and it tastes good too.
    Ridged elbows to get the flavor in the creases, no f*cking smooth shit. Or rotelli. No long fusking pastas like gemelli and no spaghetti variations.
    I don't bake mine, I rock it wet.
    (That's what she said)

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    bechamel, yay or nay?

ive only used it in a lasagna dish so id assume it would work well in a baked mac dish also.

Ridged elbows to get the flavor in the creases, no f*cking smooth shit.

yup

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I f*ckin' love mac & cheese; therefore, I sense potential greatness in this thread.

My friend made some one time that had butter, cream, cheddar, gorgonzola, mozzarella, one other cheese I can't remember, and a dusting of Parmesan on top. Shit was horrendously unhealthy, no doubt, but goddamn was it good. I need to bug her to find out what that other cheese was.

When I was a kid, my mom would put chunks of ham in the mac & cheese.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    I'm so making this right now. It's on.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    bechamel, yay or nay?

hell yea. sauteed onions, bechamel, cheese and noodles (you can ad lib) and bread crumbs! game over. mac n cheese is the shit!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    bacon =

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Healthy Mac'n'Cheese. Way better than it sounds. Tapatio is necessary.

http://healthycooking.suite101.com/article.cfm/healthy_macaroni_and_cheese

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    bechamel, yay or nay?

I'm interested to hear the alternative.

bechamel, yay or nay?

I'm interested to hear the alternative.

well u could use heavy cream. Making it twice as unhealthy.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts

for those of us on a budget

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i just recently made a childhood favourite

with the OG kraft box

minced beef, oignons garlic, jamaican allspice,garam massala, ground peper, a bit of pesto and parsley plus sharp cheddar sauce

• Nothing can replace the hugely comforting fatty, cheesy, gooey, earthiness of traditional mac and cheese.

However,P-minus hipped me to the New Farm Mac and Cheese recipe which is unbelievably good. Vegan or not, it's a delicious alternative to traditional mac and cheese. In fact, oddly, a lot of my friends prefer it.

http://www.postpunkkitchen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=456461

• Nothing can replace the hugely comforting fatty, cheesy, gooey, earthiness of traditional mac and cheese.

However,P-minus hipped me to the New Farm Mac and Cheese recipe which is unbelievably good. Vegan or not, it's a delicious alternative to traditional mac and cheese. In fact, oddly, a lot of my friends prefer it.

Yep I'm vegan and once you get past the weird taste/smell of nutritional yeast, it's not a bad substitute. And considering that most cheeses have a weird taste/smell anyway, nobody should complain.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Just finished watching "I like to kill Flies" a doc on Shopsins.

anyone tried his Mac n Cheese Pancakes? Keeping it Mac and Cheese related...

that was a damn good movie, and it makes me want to buy a plane ticket and try his "genius" recipes.

anybody grub their mac n cheese with stewed tomatoes? I stopped making it because I was the only one who used it with my mac n cheese. Now I just put salsa on top.

Ive enjoyed eatin my M&C but that dairy has fucked my stomach up.

Mad bubbles all day.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Nothing can replace the hugely comforting fatty, cheesy, gooey, earthiness of traditional mac and cheese.

Yep I'm vegan and once you get past the weird taste/smell of nutritional yeast, it's not a bad substitute. And considering that most cheeses have a weird taste/smell anyway, nobody should complain.

Speaking of which, I have to find my "Soy No Oi!" recipe book in storage somewhere.

BTW L****n, I will have to try out that recipe.

SHUT THE F*ck UP, SAM![/b]

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

I learned today that we are all f*cking losers and pieces of shit

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Ever had mac and cheese with mashmallows in it?

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    We use the recipe from The Better Homes and Gardens "New Cook Book" circa 1968 (it's the one with the
    red and white gingham cover, most peoples Moms had a copy back in the day) .
    It's a nice place to start, we generally add red pepper, garlic, and some fancy cheese: parmesan, romano, bleu, gouda or whatever we have in the fridge at the time.

• Ever had mac and cheese with mashmallows in it?

Take that shit to the "WHOA!" thread

If anything, the guy is honest. I had downloaded the menu after watching the documentary and apparently he makes loco moco too, curious to see how it's made and tastes.

• Just finished watching "I like to kill Flies" a doc on Shopsins.

If anything, the guy is honest. I had downloaded the menu after watching the documentary and apparently he makes loco moco too, curious to see how it's made and tastes.

This New Yorker article about it is really f*cking good.
    http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2002/04/15/020415fa_FACT