Coffee Heads

PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
I know starbucks is a four letter word to coffee snobs but I recieved some of their Ethiopian Sun Dried Shirkina beans as a gift. Damn that shit was tasty. At $20 something a pound it better be. Now I need to try some of that monkey turd beans. Man I dig a good cup of coffee. You ever have that perfect cup of coffee from some random coffee shop? It's like the planets align and the coffee gods look down on you and decide today's your day. Let's hear about your favorite shop, coffee or whatever...

Comments

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    community coffee.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I think you mean cat shit coffee. There's also, apparently, weasel vomit coffee which is also very expensive.

In the Bay Area, I ride for these dudes:

I haven't found a coffee spot in LA I have as much affection for but in general, I buy from

Either way, I've tried most of the major ways to brew and have settled on the simplicity of the single-cup drip:

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    The coffee is called Kopi Luwak and the animal is a common palm civet.

I don't think it's a cat or a monkey. But i hear it craps a mean bean.

• My work has an espresso machine and are always stocked full of beans from LA Mill here in LA.
    It's top notch stuff.
    Intelligensia is also great, but everytime I'm by there, there's a line out the door.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

coffy's black
    coffy's hot
    and sometimes as sweet as sugar

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Ethiopian Sun Dried Shirkina beans

I had that as gift as well, schitt was real good thru a french press, I miss it. Great taste.

• community coffee.

That, along with Seaport, is the smell of my childhood.

I've been using the one-cup drip cone a lot lately. It's a nice little afternoon ritual (I'm not that patient in the morning, so I just make a pot).

• I recommend to add to the coffee some "grounded barley" (english check,please )while you prepare your moka...

this way you reduce caffeine and add a great flavour to your espresso

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I ride hard for local roasting company Rao's. Their Papua New Guinea is outrageously good. If you're feeling sporting, you can order some from them directly here for $10.50 a pound whole bean.

• Dunn Bros

• I ride hard for local roasting company Rao's. Their Papua New Guinea is outrageously good. If you're feeling sporting, you can order some from them directly here for $10.50 a pound whole bean.

How/when did coffee get so pricey that $10.50/lb sounds cheap?? Blue Bottle seems to be the Intelligentsia of the bay (not really but kind of), but a pound of their beans is near double Rao's!

Small batches?!?

I dunno - to me, most of the coffee I see at Trader Joe's or Groundworks is about $10/lb, give or take a few bucks.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    I was really surprised by the unique taste of Laos mountain coffee recently. Great stuff!

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    You ever have that perfect cup of coffee from some random coffee shop? It's like the planets align and the coffee gods look down on you and decide today's your day.

Yes indeed! There's this small family owned place I go to near my work building with a starbucks on both sides of it within a block. They're still in business because my dude makes the perfect espresso. I've been loyal every weekday for the last 6 years. Damn I love coffee. i have a case of Illy in my closet and my espresso machine and my french press rule my weekend mornings.

the best local spot for me in SF is Ritual Coffee Roasters - you can order their stuff online too http://ritualroasters.com although that place is kind of a hipster Mac Powerbook nightmare. i usually always get my stuff to go.

• Dinking Caffe Ibis

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    i live right next to the location where the chicks was honestly trying to "save our Starbucks."

.cc_box a:hover .cc_home{background:url('http://www.comedycentral.com/comedycentral/video/assets/syndicated-logo-over.png') !important;}.cc_links a{color:#b9b9b9;text-decoration:none;}.cc_show a{color:#707070;text-decoration:none;}.cc_title a{color:#868686;text-decoration:none;}.cc_links a:hover{color:#67bee2;text-decoration:underline;}
    The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c

I'm not allowed to drink it, in deference to Shawn Kemp and GP.

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    my coffee tasted like celery today.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    "Parsley, wheatgrass, and celery are particularly recommended for sweeter semen taste, because of their high chlorophyll content."

wait wot

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    got a used expresso machine from the inlaws (the drip does not work )
    were in heaven (italian stove thingy fir the reguar stuff)

caf?? au lait bowls for days

however after having some stone ground (no heat) expresso on their new machine

i am fiending for their stuff instead of mine

we buy organic whole beans from kenya

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I'm a Peet's head but the best coffee I've had in a minute was in Mendocino, California. I wish I could remember the brand but I think it was produced or at least packaged locally. Several shops carried it and it was complementary at the Inn I stayed at.

BTW, B&B retreats are boring. Never let your girl plan your vacation.

Never let your girl plan your vacation.

You don't like being shacked up with your girl in a pleasant, comfortable room where there's not a lot to do except for read or _________ and someone makes you breakfast in the morning?

Dude. I mean, it's not booking a lounge in the Four Seasons in Union Square but...

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    In the Bay Area, I ride for these dudes:

i tried philz for the first time in december and really enjoyed it. enough so that i went back 3 days in a row to try different blends.

on the daily though, peet's major dickason roast gets steady play in the percolator.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts

Every time I am in Sydney its a religion to get this coffee, and I just found i can order the beans online, $19AUD for 500grms is pretty good, around 10 USD or 1.5 Euro
    http://www.camposcoffee.com/
    I have been drinking a really nice ethiopian mocha/columbian light blend lately its great in milk coffee's but only so so as a short black

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I'm a Peet's head but the best coffee I've had in a minute was in Mendocino, California. I wish I could remember the brand but I think it was produced or at least packaged locally. Several shops carried it and it was complementary at the Inn I stayed at.

BTW, B&B retreats are boring. Never let your girl plan your vacation.

Found it. Big River Coffee Company http://www.bigrivercoffee.net/

"Parsley, wheatgrass, and celery are particularly recommended for sweeter semen taste, because of their high chlorophyll content."

hopefully u don't know this from personal experience...

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Yo Campos is really good. I ride for the NZ Allpress. The cafe next to my work use's their beans and it shits all over everything else. I found i really wierd being in NYC and not one makes flat whites just expresso's and lattes. Although i did get used to drinking pot coffee. Love the free refills.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    How do Bay Area heads feel about Blue Bottle?

Im indifferent as I have only had it at home, and not at the shop.