Awesome Korean War Photos

GaryGary 3,982 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
I don't suspect this will get too many hits, but these photos are amazing. Most of them I hadn't seen before either. Some of them I would actually call breath-taking. I wish I could embed some in this thread.http://photo.donga.com/usr/dongafile/dongafile.php?r_from_topcode=200901070001I'm surprised I've never seen these before. And if you get bored there are other sets of hot Korean chicks, so whatever floats your rootbeer.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I don't know if I'd typically call war photos "awesome" but these are certainly striking. That shot of all the paratroopers landing was nuts.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    yeah, thats what I meant. Awesome as in the photography, lighting, placement, etc was awesome. Some of those blasted out buildings are still out there in the country. you can visit them and see G.I. graffitti from the war still on the walls. Its pretty crazy.

• those are crazy
    my grampa had some fuked up photos from korea
    with him and other g.i.'s holding severed koreans heads from their hair and shit

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    These are great photographs. Thanks.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I don't know if I'd typically call war photos "awesome" but these are certainly striking. That shot of all the paratroopers landing was nuts.

I can't even see the pics, just that one

...so not awesome.

• ddownddown 65 Posts
    Wow.

Really sad, though.

• Can anyone recommend a good book on the Korean War. I have not read much of anything on it and would really like to have a better overall perspective.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I can't recomend a good book off the top of my head but it basically went down like this.

Korea says to Japan, hey china is sweating us, give us a hand here.

Japan occupies Korea and trys to turn it inot Japan 2.0. They outlaw korean language, give them all Japanese names, and force the women into sex slaves. Cut off heads, build railroads, colonial style buildings, etc etc. Koreans are pissed off and riot and protest but just keep winding up getting their heads cut off.

WW2 happens, Japan gets destroyed, the U.S. and Russia (who were on the "same side" in WW2) rolls into Korea and kicks out Japan and the koreans are all like "oh thank god, that sucked!" and we are like "Hey, no problem, now we will rebuild you into an awesome country!"

And the u.s. says "yeah, you guys will be a great capitalist democracy!" and russia says "yeah, you guys will make a great communist nation!" and while they are busy building power stations and railroads again and cool new buildings they are also setting up governements.

For convenience, Russia took the north 1/2 of korea, and the u.s. took the south 1/2, and that happy agreement last all of about 2 seconds while both sides attempted to establish the new Korean goverment. Russia enlisted Kim Il Sung to establish the korean goverment as a communist government while at the same time the U.S. put Pak something in charge of their new little democracy.

Both sides announced "we are the new official goverment of korea! yay!" both sides got mad at each other and the fight over which was the legit goverment escalated until north korean tanks rolled south in order to free the rest of the koreans from those awful americans and their puppet government.

It was a suprise move and south korea barely had a military and US military strength was not much either. while we scrambled to get our shit together the Norks (north koreans) pushed south HARD. In the mean time US forces landed in Korea in droves and McCarthur has this brillant idea to stage a naval landing at a place that the Norks would never suspect - a place barely fit for boats call Inchon.

It was a crazy move because his idea was that when the tide rose, all the boats would rush in and dock, and then when the tide when out, the boats would be stuck, but no other boats could come in from behind them. because the tide change in inchon is drastic. but if the boats didn't land in time they would be stuck in a marsh or whatever.

but they did it, and mcarthur's famous landing at inchon pays off and the tide changes in the south's favor. McArthur had cut off the norks from their supplies and everything else. We start handing out ass whuppings left and right until the chinese start showing up.

China didn't officially declare war, but they were sending troops. McArthur calls bullshit and says when he gets to the chinese border asks for permission to keep going into china and F*ck their shit up too, but the US Pres. says oh hells no, we are NOT going to war with China, so we sort of sat there at the border for 2 seconds and then this massive wave of chinese troops floods down and drives us back down to the bottom of korea. we push back and make it about 1/2 way up the middle of the peninsula where everything becomes a dead heat. people start digging in and the fighting gets feirce for even little shit hills.

people finally realize after about 3 years that this is going nowhere and everybody is stuck at the 38th parallel. A line is drawn and a cease fire is called.

And thats it. The was has officially never ended. The line has been adjusted, in the east it was moved north a bit to make things more "fair" (look on a map, you'll see what i mean). but thats it. The foxholes are still there, permanent bases are built, etc etc.

At least thats how I remember it. I might have a few things wrong. You could look at wikipedia or whatever.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Actually, I think I got the Inchon landing backwards... I think the ships stayed at sea and then when the tide dropped thats when all the GIs bumrushed the shore....

shoot, I should look that up again.

Also I'm sure there was something about TaeKwonDo ninjas that i'm forgetting.

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts

...so not awesome.

I had same problem with Firefox on my Mac. I switched to IE in Windows (Parallels) and all is well.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Deputy Daze just wants to see pictures of hot korean girls.

And I fully support that, of course.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts

...so not awesome.

that picture is awesome. not in a radical dudes bmx way but in a breathtaking, cinematic scope of photographic artistry.

wtf emostrut.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

...so not awesome.

that picture is awesome. not in a radical dudes bmx way but in a breathtaking, cinematic scope of photographic artistry.

wtf emostrut.

actually I had a whole post going arguing that "awesome" was indeed the right word for that, but then I tried to look and could only see one which means NOT awesome in my book.

Although yeah that picture is pretty awesome. meaning it inspires a sense of awe.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    could be awful too, because I was ful of aw.

• ddownddown 65 Posts
    Gary, overall, not a bad summary of the war.

However, one part should be corrected.

> Korea says to Japan, hey china is sweating us, give us a hand here.

Should say:

Japan tells Korea, hey china is sweating you, so let us take over your country. Korea says, Say what??!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    hahaha, yeah. the thing with korea is that its a natural land bridge between japan and china, "prime real estate" so to speak. So korean history is all about a back and forth between china and japan. in fact in made reading about korean history get kind of boring, because it was like "AGAIN??"

China's presence in korea gets out of hand, japan steps in. Then their presence in korea gets out of hand and china steps in, and vice versa. and everytime they promise "we'll be cool this time, i swear" and then it never happens. i think its partly why korea was called the "hermit nation" and they were so hostile to outsiders in the beginning. they were tired of getting shit on and just wanted to be left alone. and to some degree that still holds through in DPRKs Juche philosophy.

that kind of history shapes who koreans are as a people even to this day. a sort of understandable xenohpobia and mistrust of other nations that are there to "help". Like the U.S. of course....

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    hahaha, yeah. the thing with korea is that its a natural land bridge between japan and china, "prime real estate" so to speak. So korean history is all about a back and forth between china and japan. in fact in made reading about korean history get kind of boring, because it was like "AGAIN??"

China's presence in korea gets out of hand, japan steps in. Then their presence in korea gets out of hand and china steps in, and vice versa. and everytime they promise "we'll be cool this time, i swear" and then it never happens. i think its partly why korea was called the "hermit nation" and they were so hostile to outsiders in the beginning. they were tired of getting shit on and just wanted to be left alone. and to some degree that still holds through in DPRKs Juche philosophy.

that kind of history shapes who koreans are as a people even to this day. a sort of understandable xenohpobia and mistrust of other nations that are there to "help". Like the U.S. of course....

yep sounds about right.

both countries also think the korean language is too simplistic, so simple in fact a dog could learn it. go figure.