personal trainer, yay or nay?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
So one of my resolutions for the year is to try to get healthier, including getting into some semblance of shape. I have modest but distinct goals in terms trying to exercise regularly, losing my gut, blah blah blah. I have a gym membership which I barely used in 2007 and am trying to get back with and I'm debating whether or not it's worth working with a trainer once a week for the next couple of months. Shit isn't cheap but I'm willing to invest in my physical health, especially if the time spent will help me develop a routine I can understand and stick to. The problem - apart from the $60/session price tag - is that the trainers I've met there do this soft-sell which is just slightly disingenuous. On a "you know, I'm not a good salesperson and I don't like doing this...BUT...can I get you to commit to two months?" And I just hate it when sales people can't just be upfront with you and it makes me feel like I'm getting scammed rather than being offered a solid service to which I'd be happy to pay for...if it were legit. Anyways, what are people's opinions out there about the usefulness of working with a trainer and the expense investment? Thanks.

Comments

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Everytime you post do 10 pushups.

you'll either develop some extra muscles or wind up posting a lot less, I guess.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Dude...you need to delete this thread as soon as possible...for your own good. Is there a moderator with a heart around to do it for you?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I've been contemplating the idea for a long time...about actually providing services similar to a personal trainer (for adults)/basketball coach (for kids). Especially since a lot of that stuff is usually expensive like you said.

In my personal experience, having a partner or group is key to being consistent with exercise. Even if it's just once a week, you might schedule a jog with one of your buddies/wife whoever. EVERY WEEK on a particular day. If you're serious about it, it can happen. I go to Torrance every Sunday in the afternoon to run full court games with some buddies. There definitely should be some kind of added benefit in addition to exercise. In my case, it's a juvenile atmosphere where we joke around, I practice my kickboxing moves, and just soak in some sun. Then afterwards, I go to Nijiya Market and get a nice cold beverage. It definitely resets my internal clock, if you know what I mean.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Save your money and dont get a trainer. Take advantage of the spin or aerobics classes at your gym. I guarantee you'll lose pounds if you do a spin class once or twice a week.

Another thing, try to get your exercise in before dinner! The shit is near impossible for me physically and mentally after a food coma...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I've been contemplating the idea for a long time...about actually providing services similar to a personal trainer (for adults)/basketball coach (for kids). Especially since a lot of that stuff is usually expensive like you said.

In my personal experience, having a partner or group is key to being consistent with exercise. Even if it's just once a week, you might schedule a jog with one of your buddies/wife whoever. EVERY WEEK on a particular day. If you're serious about it, it can happen. I go to Torrance every Sunday in the afternoon to run full court games with some buddies. There definitely should be some kind of added benefit in addition to exercise. In my case, it's a juvenile atmosphere where we joke around, I practice my kickboxing moves, and just soak in some sun. Then afterwards, I go to Nijiya Market and get a nice cold beverage. It definitely resets my internal clock, if you know what I mean.

PAUSE on this whole poast

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    It definitely resets my internal clock, if you know what I mean.

PAUSE on this whole poast

THE EAGLE HAS LANDED.

• The only Trainer you'll ever need!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

hahahahaha. That was some funny ass shit.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    NAY...

whatever u did in gym class when u were 12 just do it again much harder...

If have the willpower to cop a trainer, transfer that to gettin up yo'self.

Somebody's gonna answer that a trainer will help your properly train.

Joggin takes a trainer? Eating right takes a trainer?

Push-ups/Sit-ups/stretching...takes a trainer?

Unless you wanna jump on a treadmill and watch the Wire w/ Hollingsworth an them.

I never could fusk w/ the "Gym Culture". I grew up just playin sports and shit.

In the end - do u and feel better. Its never too late.

If Fake Realz hasn't told you already, your poast was quite the "PAUSE".

b/w

YOU SOUND LIKE YOU'RE IN SHAPE. YOU KNOW HOW I LIKE A MAN THAT'S IN SHAPE.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    If Fake Realz hasn't told you already, your poast was quite the "PAUSE".

b/w

YOU SOUND LIKE YOU'RE IN SHAPE. YOU KNOW HOW I LIKE A MAN THAT'S IN SHAPE.

"Gym Culture"

Not a fan of this either.

Although I do use cylinder blocks as free weights.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I had a personal trainer for a week once. He was really hot, too...

anyways...

he helped me learn all of the equipment, and how to use it properly. set my goals, etc...

I would say, if you can, just get one to show you what to do on the equipment and really really push yourself.

Goodluck!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    So in other words, you're asking if you should pay someone to have their balls in your face while you bench press?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    So in other words, you're asking if you should pay someone to have their balls in your face while you bench press?

High school level gay baitin' iz weak.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    NAY...

whatever u did in gym class when u were 12 just do it again much harder...

If have the willpower to cop a trainer, transfer that to gettin up yo'self.

Somebody's gonna answer that a trainer will help your properly train.

Joggin takes a trainer? Eating right takes a trainer?

Push-ups/Sit-ups/stretching...takes a trainer?

Unless you wanna jump on a treadmill and watch the Wire w/ Hollingsworth an them.

I never could fusk w/ the "Gym Culture". I grew up just playin sports and shit.

In the end - do u and feel better. Its never too late.

I'm not into gym culture but it's easier for me to create consistency in a routine by having a gym to exercise in.

I hear your other points though, thanks.

• I have never been into doing weights as i find it as boring as batshit. Find a good Martial Arts or Boxing class as if you are going to expend all that energy exercising you might as well be learning something useful like how to kick the shit out of someone.

A good martial arts class will provide you with all that you need. From Stretching,Meditation, Cardio workout to Meditation and the spiritual arts.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    If it's in your budget (and I guess if it wasn't you wouldn't be asking) and are committed to it, do it. I'm getting into a walking and stationary bike habit, where before it was one or the other, and I do that at home.

I tell you, if I did pushups every time I posted, I'd be... well, more out of breath basically, but hey.

• Don't let yourself be clowned in this thread. The main thing about getting physically active again after a long stretch of sedentary life is that you must FORM NEW HABITS. If you barely used your gym in 2008 what will make you use it in 2009? Maybe a few training sessions is what you need to kick your butt and kick in your endorphins and get your mind in that place again, where exercise is just a part of your lifestyle like anything else and you start to feel it working.
    The only reason the trainer is asking you to commit to a chunk of sessions is not just financial, it's so he or she can get you past that starting phase and into a habit. It's like a crack dealer, they gotta give you a fat freebie at the door to get you hooked.
    Do it.
    You will be happier after a while and have a lot more energy for work, sex, and digging.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    O, if you know someone that hits the gym regularly, I think one of the best things you could is have him/her walk you through some exercises and techniques on machines, based on your fitness goals. Maybe they can even set you up on a routine and then it's just on you to stick to it.

Also, check out Bodybuilding.com's personalized workout database for a lot of useful info. The routines range from basic to advanced. There's a load of great free info about this stuff online.

Personal trainers can be great motivators, but your own willpower can put and keep you on the right track. Don't give away your money when it's completely possible to reach your goals on the cheap with some elbow grease.

• Odub,
    I think the choice of getting a trainer really depends on your specific goals. The very best way to lose fat and get into shape is by combining diet and exercise. Both resistance training (weights) and cardio training (running, etc). If you're a total //()()|3 when it comes to resistance training I would totally get a trainer to coach you through the basics of proper form because weight training can be dangerous when done with incorrect form. Other than that I would not pay unless you need to pay someone to motivate you.

Check out http://stronglifts.com/ and check out their ebook. It's a great starting point for resistance training.

as far as diet goes, its always better to keep it simple dude. You could pay for a nutritionist too but all you need to do to really lose weight is find your BMR and subtract 500 calories. Check out http://www.freedieting.com/tools/weight_loss_tools.htm for some calorie calculators and http://www.fitday.com/ for a free calorie counter/weight loss journal.

I've lost close to 35lbs in the last 6 months by keeping my diet about 60% in check and both resistance and very light cardio training.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    make sure the trainer is qualified. i know a lot of those dudes at 24hr fitness dont know much except for a 6hr certification course.

• Developing a regular gym routine only works when it becomes addictive. You have to want to go or, no matter how much you want to improve your health, there will always be excuses not to go.

I started downloading a bunch of books on my ipod (audible.com) and the only time i listen is when i workout. On the one hand, its not that energizing listening to Jeffry Toobin talk about Supreme Court Justices (i'm currently listening to "The Nine"), but if you like the book, it motivates you to keep listening regularly.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I just recently started getting in shape again, got a membership to the YMCA, after not doing SCHIT for 10 years. I would suggest just pushing yourself to go at least 5 days in a row to do 30 min. minimum or 2 1/2 miles of cardio, and go from there. After about 3 days of this, you should start feeling good to where you actually want to go regularly to get that endorphin rush anyways. After the cardio, I usually do a gang of crunches and some more light weight training.

It feels good to check that scale every few days and see a pound shed away. I say EFF a personal trainer, if you can motivate yourself to drive to the gym, thats enough to make it happen once you're there.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Just drop the cash a couple of times and check it out. It couldn't hurt. Or if you have friends that have had personal traininers ask them about it. I know my wife had a very positive experience with one (OK, I just set myself up on that one).

The arguments against personal training have been "why pay for what you can do for free?" Those same people are probably drinking bottled water right now.....

• I'm going with the 'Give it a go,' argument.

My own case is that I was given a gift certificate to 3 personal training sessions as a christmas gift. My wife, who is pretty fit, suggested I just go, and use those sessions and the trainers expertise to work out a routine- some for short days, when I don't have a lot of time, some for longer days. Then, if that gets stale, shell out for a refresher course every few months.

That said, a two month commitment is NOT what6 I'd look for.

I will also cosine the TAKE A CLASS idea. Spin classes are great for me- sure, the music is cheesy, but the group mentality and urging of a trainer push me harder than I'll ever push myself.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    If spending the money on a trainer will motivate you to get your ass in the gym, then do it, but I don't think they are necessary at all. Take advantage of the group classes your gym offers if you don't like working out solo, most of them aren't 80's style aerobics anymore and will give you a really good workout in 45 minutes or an hour.