The best and worst jobs

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central

Comments

• mathematican #1? I need to move to the U.S!

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    classy

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I have done nine of the worst 20.

Jesus.

and what pray tell, is a roustabout?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    classy

Saying: I wouldn't be so smug towards some dude with an ax (esp. when I'm sitting on a tree).

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Where's poet?

• IS A SOULSTRUT MODERHATTER UP THERE?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I get what the criteria is (lack of danger, $$, room for growth) and not to piss on your #8 position, OW, but kinda depressing that folks who keep our neighbourhoods clean, build our homes, take care of children and put out fires are at the bottom of the pile.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Just proves the wisdom of the old saying: "Better a roustabout than a dairy farmer."

I get what the criteria is (lack of danger, $$, room for growth) and not to piss on your #8 position, OW, but kinda depressing that folks who keep our neighbourhoods clean, build our homes, take care of children and put out fires are at the bottom of the pile.

I'm also certain that, in my many of those examples, the reason they rank low is because you have the combination between "dangerous and/or strenuous physical work" + "low pay." If compensation were ramped up on most of those jobs, you'd likely see satisfaction increase too. The problem is how these professions are undervalued in our society.

I'm also struck that jobs typically thought of as "desirable" - doctor, lawyer, etc. - aren't anywhere in the top 20. Just shows that $ isn't everything.

• #5!!

• #8, Well Adjunct so I guess I'm only half happy.

#5!!

Used to be higher actually. Wonder what happened to bring it down.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    i love how dj is only 2 slots ahead of cashier at #108 on the full list. feels that way sometimes.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I'm surprised that parole officers are so high. A good part of that job is dealing with and causing misery. A good friend of mine became a parole officer and quit after a year or so because she couldn't handle all the BS and pettiness that goes with it.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    #5!!

Blinds without windows.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    bartending is only one slot ahead of undertaker...what? i take offense to that.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    as an undertaker?

• no idea why SE's went down.
    it seems like my homies and mine pay is going nowhere but up this year.

• #5!!

Blinds without windows.
    And non Widescreen monitors

I was also suprised social worker was so high up - even with an MSW, you're not making too much dough. Not to mention the nature of the work as far as hearing about the tragedies and troubles of people's lives is concerned.

#31 is the closest to my job. That feels about right.

• My wife is a social worker, and I can think of a 100 jobs I would rather do. Getting paid dirt and helping people who treat you like shit is not fun.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    My job is a combo of 6 and 197.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    1. Mathematician
    2. Actuary
    3. Statistician

This sounds like the NASA crew from the Simpsons

Reporter: It's a lovely day for a launch, here, live at Cape Canaveral, at the lower end of the Florida Peninsula, and the purpose of today's mission is truly, really electrifying.
    Other reporter: That's correct, Tom. The lion's share of this flight will be devoted to the study of the effects of weightlessness on tiny screws.
    Reporter: Unbelievable, and just imagine the logistics of weightlessness. And of course, this could have literally millions of applications here on Earth -- everything from watchmaking to watch repair.
    Homer: Boring.
    [tries to switch channels, but the batteries fall from the remote control]
    No! The batteries!
    Reporter: Now let's look at the crew a little.
    Other reporter: They're a colorful bunch. They've been dubbed, ???The Three Musketeers". Heh heh heh.
    Reporter: And we laugh legitimately. There's a mathematician, a different kind of mathematician, and a statistician.[/b]
    Homer: Make it stop! [panics]
    Bart: Oh no, not another boring space launch. Change the channel. Change the channel!
    Homer: I can't! I can't!

Actually, most of the mathematicians I know who are not academics work for the government ( -related )

4. Biologist

Represent!

• Whoo-Hoo! I am on track to be #10 in about a year and half. That will bring me up 19 spots on the countdown from #39.

Livin' in the Bookkeeper Ghetto right now, movin' on up soon.

Botany???
    How come I keep killing cactus plants? aloe, succulents, chrsitmas cactus - I just can't keep them alive.

Whoo-Hoo! I am on track to be #10 in about a year and half. That will bring me up 19 spots on the countdown from #39.

Not a mathematician, I see.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Damn the DB is quick

• I'm also #32 (Adjunct #8 and #32)

WAS a #74.

Movin' on up!!!

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Botany???
    How come I keep killing cactus plants? aloe, succulents, chrsitmas cactus - I just can't keep them alive.

That's not really my field, but over-watering can often be a problem for these kinds of plants.