Old "digging" ethics you used to follow

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    All i ever want is eddy peabody records and dudes are always like "oh yeah, i see those all the time" but then they never have any to sell me and i sure as hell don't have the time to be "digging". i'll go to the record show and say "do you have any eddy peabody or jazz banjo records" and the answer is always "no" or "i think i have some at home but i did not bring them to the show" and i'm like 'well F*ck you then' and then once in a while i'll go into record city and be like 'you got any banjo records yet?' and the old guy will be like 'no but i saw one at that one thrift on el cajon but i dont know if its jazz banjo' and i'm like 'motherfucker i'm not going to a thrift store you should have just bought that shit'.

Rad, I'll remember to snap every banjo record I see in half and key them up if and when I ever see them. Nah, maybe that's too mean.

Remember that dude from Baldimore with the jazz records on his porch? I saw him a few months ago. And he said, "That Chinese dude you was with was intense." I replied, "Yeah, he's from San Diego."

Yeah, that dude had heat. You score anything else of him? DC and Bodymore have records for days....

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Y'ALL WANT TO SEE DIGGING LIKE SOME READER'S DIGEST ENCOURAGING STORY

DIGGING IS JUST A WAY OF SPENDING TIME

Ever go to the horse racing track and see that one smelly, disheveled guy walking around picking up every discarded bet ticket off the ground hoping someone might have unwittingly thrown away a winning ticket??

THAT'S DIGGING!!!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    yeah all of those so-called "dixieland" bands have banjo players. nobody brings that shit to the show

see, gary, that's the thing - they dont have them records at the show, but they definitely have them at the sto'. git some dirt on your hands & DIG

say, youre the dude who mastered "Scorpio" on the banjo...ever try diggin' for soul banjo rekkids? Sweet Sensation's "Sad Sweet Dreamer," Lloyd Price's "Trying To Slip Away"...whole new genre waitin' to happen, bro

better not fuk with a man's livelihood

Alright, who made Moark cry THIS time?

Crink? You again?

You should be ashamed of yourself. You know how sensitive he is.

Ain't nobody crying in here, I'm just calling out the clowns.

digging is saying you don't take a thread seriously and then getting mad and storming out....

get this....

to go digging!

Well considering my customers and I pay myself to go digging, I had better get on it. Do I take this thread seriously? Of course, it did get boring tho when you proved you don't have shit for records and you could give a fuk about this site.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    !

that was too mean

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    ...ever try diggin' for soul banjo rekkids? Sweet Sensation's "Sad Sweet Dreamer," Lloyd Price's "Trying To Slip Away"...whole new genre waitin' to happen, bro

Gladys Knight & the Pips, "Nitty Gritty"

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah dude, that just happened

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    digging is saying you don't take a thread seriously and then getting mad and storming out....

get this....

to go digging!

Well considering my customers and I pay myself to go digging, I had better get on it. Do I take this thread seriously? Of course, it did get boring tho when you proved you don't have shit for records and you could give a fuk about this site.

IF YOU EVER POST A PIC OF YOU AND YOUR ASSISTANTS NAKED AND DOING COKE AT YOUR RECORD SPOT THAT WOULD MAKE YOU LIKE DIGGING KING FOREVER

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    yeah all of those so-called "dixieland" bands have banjo players. nobody brings that shit to the show

see, gary, that's the thing - they dont have them records at the show, but they definitely have them at the sto'. git some dirt on your hands & DIG

say, youre the dude who mastered "Scorpio" on the banjo...ever try diggin' for soul banjo rekkids? Sweet Sensation's "Sad Sweet Dreamer," Lloyd Price's "Trying To Slip Away"...whole new genre waitin' to happen, bro

It gets no deeper than Banjo Hop, though.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Wow
    I feel for mylatency. Remember very well the feeling of being new to the game and being upset that not everyone shared the passion. When you've been doing it for a while, that angst will pass, son.

Back to the ethics

Late 80s: friend and I heard Q.Jones 'Tibbs' for the first time (at Cock Happy w/ Gilles Peterson and Chris Bangs - anyone?)
    Next day we're at the R&T Exchange in Notting Hill. Friend wants the Mr Tibbs real bad. I mean real bad. Miracle - I find it in the new arrivals bin for ??3 when the going rate was ??25. I graciously hand it over, brave face on, dry heaving. Next week he finds Shaft in Africa which I equally needed, needed in my life. Bastard keeps it for himself.

Forward to November just gone. Uncle died, went to the funeral and then the wake at my aunts house. Walked past a room at the back; I spy a cabinet with a record player on top. Look about, no-one there, slip into the room, close door. Rifle through a collection of VG+ to M- 50s jazz. OK, it was turd but you can't pass up the opportunity. I would have f*cking walked out of the shop with those joints if they had been Tubby Hayes or worthy BNs.

And there's the tale in the decline in morals of the modern day digger.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Digging is why I buy records on eBay

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    ...ever try diggin' for soul banjo rekkids? Sweet Sensation's "Sad Sweet Dreamer," Lloyd Price's "Trying To Slip Away"...whole new genre waitin' to happen, bro

there's a banjo on that song??? if you aint kidding, i gotta hear that again...

Wow
    I feel for mylatency.

Thanks but I don't need your pity. Pass the pith helmet tho.

"Boy, that escalated quickly... I mean, that really got out of hand fast."
    "It jumped up a notch."
    "It did, didn't it?"
    "Mark killed a guy. Did you throw a trident?"
    "Yeah, there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident."
    "Mark, I've been meaning to talk to you about that. You should find yourself a safehouse or a relative close by. Lay low for a while, because you're probably wanted for murder."

Well, I was being serious, but listening to it again, I guess it
    is more just a guitar being played to sound like a banjo.
    That picking style on the intro/groove always sounded like one to me.

Nah, this is SD but it ain't no Anchorman.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    "Boy, that escalated quickly... I mean, that really got out of hand fast."
    "It jumped up a notch."
    "It did, didn't it?"
    "Mark killed a guy. Did you throw a trident?"
    "Yeah, there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident."
    "Mark, I've been meaning to talk to you about that. You should find yourself a safehouse or a relative close by. Lay low for a while, because you're probably wanted for murder."

You don't by chance play the jazz flute, do you??

that was too mean

WHAT I MISS??

that was too mean

WHAT I MISS??

It was way too caustic

that was too mean

WHAT I MISS??

It was too mean, nuff said.

Mark stabbed Gary with a trident.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

Well, I was being serious, but listening to it again, I guess it
    is more just a guitar being played to sound like a banjo.
    That picking style on the intro/groove always sounded like one to me.

Perhaps you have never heard a banjo?

"don't start shit won't be none" to echo the infamous words of on PAP

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I'm still trying to figure out what got moark so spun up.... it just sorta came out of nowhere!

• He's mad that you get paid to sit on your ass while he has to go out and dig.

Perhaps you have never heard a banjo?

eh, whatever. that clip doesn't really convey it, but the
    guitar line is picked just like a banjo, which yes, I have heard.

dick.

I'm going digging, fuck you guys.