New Year Foods For Good Luck

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Down here in the Southern U.S. the tradition is black-eyed peas, usually with cornbread.A Dutch friend tells me their tradition is to eat donuts as a New Years good luck food.What foods do you eat as a New Years tradition??

Comments

• I've heard lentil soup in some cultures.

My wife doesn't like lentils, so I make minestrone.

• Had some great new year's food last nite...

Although this is more Lunar New Year style (hey, it's coming soon enough!)
    We had some of this Korean rice cake soup w/homemade dumplings:

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    My girl is from Brazil, where I guess eating lentils on NYE gives you great prosperity and luck.

The only restaurant I could think of that had em was the Eritrean spot a few blocks away. It was a great start to an unbelievably fun night.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    pork & sauerkraut

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    i went for the bacon cheddar gordita crunch.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Down here in the Southern U.S. the tradition is black-eyed peas, usually with cornbread.

I've always thought it was black-eyed peas & greens (which I usually do and did have today), but I suppose it's possible that I made that up.

• Options
    Down here in the Southern U.S. the tradition is black-eyed peas, usually with cornbread.

I've always thought it was black-eyed peas & greens (which I usually do and did have today), but I suppose it's possible that I made that up.

Yes, is is true. We have black-eyed peas and cooked cabbage...good winter food.

I am having a smoothie right now that I made. I hope to have many more this year.

Peace,
    lilmonstu

• In Japan it is Soba noodles, for new yrs day it's a soba lunch.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    My wife wouldn't have it any other way other than Japanese, so it was a gang of sashimi, roasted mochi, mochi miso soup, sake, beer, broiled red snapper, etc... All of which are pretty much traditional NYE foods for good luck in Japanese culture.

In Japan it is Soba noodles, for new yrs day it's a soba lunch.

one of many.

roasted mochi,

what is this? i know what mochi balls are but how does this relate?

roasted mochi,

Mochi is just basically a dense dough made from pounded rice. How you prepare it after that is up to you. In America, I mostly see it sweetened in ball form (probably the mochi balls you're referring to), but you can cook mochi in a lot of different ways. Roasting mochi is one of them.

• I was in Lil Tokyo today, skating. Lamenting the fact that I didn't have the patience to stand in line for the fresh mochi.

To make up for it I stopped at King Taco on the way home. I think that's going to be my New Years good luck meal for now on.

roasted mochi,

Mochi is just basically a dense dough made from pounded rice. How you prepare it after that is up to you. In America, I mostly see it sweetened in ball form (probably the mochi balls you're referring to), but you can cook mochi in a lot of different ways. Roasting mochi is one of them.

word alright... yeah the mochi balls i've had have some kind of ice cream in them, either red bean or ginger or whatever. delicious!

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

A Dutch friend tells me their tradition is to eat donuts as a New Years good luck food.

No no, we eat oliebollen!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Not this time of the year, but the Zoroastrian new year which falls on the first day of spring has a lot of good luck/symbolic foods (which are not eaten) as part of a spread (sofreh).
    What are staples of a new year dinner though, is rice with parsley, coriander, chives, dill and fenugreek served with fish and an herbs/vegetable (parsley, dill, coriander, spinach, green onion and chives) cutlet with eggs and walnuts.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Gumbo,chitlins & black eyed peas

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Yesterday, my wife served up pumpkin soup to celebrate the New Year/Haitian Independence Day. This time around it was basically chicken soup with a couple different kinds of squash in it. Can't wait to have some more this evening after work...

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Rice Cake (Dduk or Ddok?)