What to Wear to a Design Interview- Tie or No Tie?

lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
edited July 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
Tie, or No Tie?Dress Casual, or just Dress?Suit jacket, no jacket?Top hat and cane, or wallet chain?Also, anybody have any clue as to what it's like to do contract work for a publishing company?Thanks.

Comments

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Always overdress for a job interview. It makes them think its really important to you, which it probably is. Once you work there who gives a fuck, but a suit and tie is the way to go for a job interview.

• Options
    A well-placed chairhat?

K.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    A well-placed chairhat?

K.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Tie, or No Tie?

Dress Casual, or just Dress?

Suit jacket, no jacket?

Top hat and cane, or wallet chain?

Also, anybody have any clue as to what it's like to do contract work for a publishing company?

Thanks.

I'd wear a tie to pretty much any interview... let 'em know that you can get cleaned up if the occasion demands, like for meetings with certain clients.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Publishing and media is not that formal - depends what kind of publishing company it is but I'd say cool suit no tie. Maybe just me but when I've hired designers who are client-facing I want to them be smart but not kitted out like a car salesman. Keep it slick and I'll sure you'll shine.

A well-placed chairhat?

K.

I'm leaning towards more formal, definitely.

White carnation in breast pocket perhaps.

• DIGGADIGGADIGGADIGGA 456 Posts
    designer clothes ,no nut huggers

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    Even though we wear jeans to work every day (pretty typical in marketing/advertising), the managers generally expect to see interviewees in a suit. The tie is optional, though.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

White carnation in breast pocket perhaps.

NO.

But a pair of nice cufflinks could not hurt either. And make sure your suit is freshly pressed.

all great responses.

thanks!

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Publishing and media is not that formal - depends what kind of publishing company it is but I'd say cool suit no tie. Maybe just me but when I've hired designers who are client-facing I want to them be smart but not kitted out like a car salesman. Keep it slick and I'll sure you'll shine.

truth.

most of these dudes are lax and want to hang with lax folk too. just be lax.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    And make sure your suit is freshly pressed.

And fits you correctly!!! I can't stress this enough.

I am feeling the loose nuts idea.

(preempt AYO!)

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Is it web design? Architecture? I Think it depends on the circumstance. Is it corprate or private. Going w/ the tie is always safe. But no tie might deliver the idea that you think outside the box. If the interviewer is looking for that mentality, well then smart casual might be advantageous.

And make sure your suit is freshly pressed.

And fits you correctly!!! I can't stress this enough.

The old "wedding clothes ensemble" stand by will not cut it this time, I feel.

• Options

I am feeling the loose nuts idea.

(preempt AYO!)

?

K.

Is it web design? Architecture? I Think it depends on the circumstance. Is it corprate or private. Going w/ the tie is always safe. But no tie might deliver the idea that you think outside the box. If the interviewer is looking for that mentality, well then smart casual might be advantageous.

I think it may be a bit more cookie cutter in it's expectations. I had to take a short graphics test, which hinged on my ability to replicate their sample entries "style".

Still not too sure though.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Bottomline: You can never overdress for an interview. I work at a tree service company and showed up for my job interview in a suit and tie. I got the job.

• SpinatraSpinatra 39 Posts
    Tie, or No Tie?

Dress Casual, or just Dress?

Suit jacket, no jacket?

Top hat and cane, or wallet chain?

Also, anybody have any clue as to what it's like to do contract work for a publishing company?

Thanks.

I'd say smart casual but depends on the company. If it's a very corporate company they might want you to dress in a shirt and tie. If it's a cool design house it'll be casual for day to day wear. Hopefully they'll be hiring you for what you bring rather than how sharp the suit looks. Personally I never rock a suit.

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    I have an interview next week that I just emailed to find out about the dress code in the office ot plan my outfit around that. I clean up well, but there are dfifferent types of clean up I can put together and want to have the proper pastels and shit. Fresh polo good? Need a button down? Tie or no tie and how many buttons to button up and if you roll up the sleeves, all very important things to know.

LAMBERT good luck man finding a job is rough

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    I suggest this:

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    What sort of publishing company is it?

I'd say just wear a full on suit and tie to begin with.. just to be on the safe side - create a good impression and all that.

Check out what everyone else is wearing when you're there and maybe if everyone is suited but not tied, loose the tie and just put it in your inside pocket or whatever.

Doesn't matter what kind of office-based company it is, the people who are hiring will never mark you down for being a smart well presented dude wearing a suit.

What sort of publishing company is it?

It's a graphic house for textbook's and science mag's (scholastic, houghton-mifflin)

I'm definitely going to go more pro than I ever have before.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Doesn't matter what kind of office-based company it is, the people who are hiring will never mark you down for being a smart well presented dude wearing a suit.

I had a job interview a few weeks ago, a corporate design kinda thing...

what did I wear?

Black pinstripe pants, black shoes, grey shirt (no tie, no suit jacket)

** made it to the 2nd interview which I went to this week

What did I wear this time?

Similar ensemble... dark pants, tan shirt, dark shoes and a tie (no suit jacket)

** during my 1st interview they told me the job is gonna be really casual and I intentionally added a tie the second time around

First person I sat down to interview with commented "nice touch with the tie"...

waiting to hear if I got it but goes to show you that regardless of what kind of atmosphere it is, it never hurts to go dressed up to an interview...it shows how seriously you take yourself, them and the job.

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    Aspirin did you get the position? Lambert, how about you and what did you wear?

I never got an email back from the place, so I decided to risk it and wear a polo and some Clark's and some light nice pants from Club Monaco (that i traded a Turbonegro record for two years ago) because it was hot as balls. I looked good except for this dirt beard. But showed up and everyone in that office was totally in jeans and tshirts so I was upping the niceness factor a good deal. Glad I didn't wear some buttondown shit and sweat like a mf for no reason

Aspirin did you get the position?

answer here

Aspirin did you get the position?

Super congrats Aspirin!!!

Schnipper, I hope it works out well for you.

My interview is a week away. paypal--->checking--->mens warehouse, is the move.

Thanks Lambert. Men's Warehouse is definitely the way to go if you're on a budget. That's where I shop.

GOOD LUCK!!