What to Wear to a Design Interview- Tie or No Tie?

2»

Comments

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I wore a suit and tie to my first job interview in SF. I was being interviewed by people in shorts and T-shirts. They said, "Um, you can take off your tie if you'd like. Oh, and it's bagel day here. Help yourself!"

Bottom line: I got the job.

For the job I got two weeks ago, I interviewed twice and wore slacks, button-down shirt, but no tie. I rocked a lovely argyle sweater vest the first time (Yes TheMack).

But cosign to Mr. Lee: It's hard to overdress for such things.

Let's throw in some other interview advice:

Best advice I ever got was to figure out how much money you want, then ask for $10-15k. The person who gave me the advice was a long-time executive at NorTel. She said, "Young people are afraid to ask for money in an interview because they think that the employer will just turn them down and reject them altogether. Not so. More often than not, it makes the employer think, 'Wow, this person knows what he's worth.'" The worst they'll say is, "No, we can't match that," but it's almost never a dealbreaker.

Back to the 10-15k over example: Let's say you want to make $40k at your new job. If you ask for $50-55k and they say, "Sorry, we can't pay that. How about $45K?" then you're already winning. If you really have big balls, say, "Could you go $48k?"

Granted, only you know how much you'll feel comfortable asking for, and honestly, you may have to practice saying the big numbers (I couldn't say it with a straight face for a while, but I got over it). Do what you think is right, but don't be afraid to ask.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

** during my 1st interview they told me the job is gonna be really casual and I intentionally added a tie the second time around

First person I sat down to interview with commented "nice touch with the tie"...

YOU ARE THAT DUDE THAT MAKES EVERYONE LOOK BAD

SAYING

CHEERS ON GETTING THAT JOB, DUDE

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    from a design perspective i can vouche that the industry is almost unifromaly LAX when it comes to designers.. even for big corporate meetings i always roll in nice jeans and a clean shirt.. done... it's part of you're job description to be CREATIVE... in a room full of suits its often the "fun part" of their day when they get to chill with the "hip designer" ... last board meeting i was in the CEO of the company (and this is a multimillion dollar financal company) told me the flash animation reminded him of a party where he'd slipped acid in the punch.. and he meant it in a good way!

incidently i'd be ESPECIALLY careful not to get suited if you're going to work for any kind of "cutting edge" design firm... we have a specific "no dockers" policy... dudes comin through with the brown braided belt tucked into the khakis and a boring polo shirt get the straight gass face and do not get hired.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    we have a specific "no dockers" policy...

Can I wear them with a fresh T untucked? Saying, dockers hold it down for me.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

Can I wear them with a fresh T untucked? Saying, dockers hold it down for me.

if they arent sansabelt and you have good abs under the T my boss would most likely overlook this faux pas.

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    i make a point to wear what i love to wear in interviews- i mean, i want them to want me, not think i am something im not going to be. Job im working now, rocked up in a suit jacket, AC/DC tee, jeans, and some leather thongs. I _did_ wear a tie... but it was through my belt loops.

i want them to know that i can look good without being just another 2-bit douchebag in a suit.

and yes im a designer.