Gifts for guys?

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Yeah, you can never have enough tools booze.

I like the knife set idea, too. But I cook a lot.

Good knives are expensive. Cheap knives are not worth your time.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Yeah, you can never have enough tools booze.

Real talk. On a related note, I need to step up my pan game.

• sergserg 682 Posts
    pan's are where it's at too, one year my wife got me a real nice saute pan. I was juiced on that.

I don't know nothing about handcream, if your hands are dry just spit on them.

tool related, a nice set of Klein screwdrivers is good look too.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

-socks - apparently can never have too many of these. (boxers/briefs/thongs might be too intimate)

Nothing says, "you mean nothing to me romantically/sexually" than a gift of socks.

BTW, men can always use socks but given that you can cop a dozen of 'em for next to nothing practically anywhere, it'd be like getting a woman a packet of disposable razors. Sure, they can use 'em but that doesn't mean you'd want to gift them.

And regarding Kiehls and other "product" - I'm not saying it's not nice but let's be honest - not every man grooms themselves that meticulously. If you (original poster) think this dude will actually use them, then by all means, go for it. But if you're not sure, there are some better universals.

Like booze (and this from a guy who doesn't even drink).

thongs might be too intimate

No. That would be just perfect.

• best platonic gift that i've gotten recently was a really nice bottle of Glen Livett in a box with two nice glasses.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    From my experience, be it for gals or guys, especially if it's a sibling or friend, a mix of practical and personal/meaningful is safe.

Just socks would be pretty lame. I guess I should have been really really clear and said that that should not be the only gift.

Avoiding ashy cracked hands is not really grooming in my book, maybe it's a cold weather thing.

From my experience, be it for gals or guys, especially if it's a sibling or friend, a mix of practical and personal/meaningful is safe.

Just socks would be pretty lame. I guess I should have been really really clear and said that that should not be the only gift.

Avoiding ashy cracked hands is not really grooming in my book, maybe it's a cold weather thing.

You need to explain the thong thing. Are there guys who wear thongs? Apparently. And you know some of them?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

-socks - apparently can never have too many of these. (boxers/briefs/thongs might be too intimate)

Nothing says, "you mean nothing to me romantically/sexually" than a gift of socks.

A tad over-sensitive if I may be so bold.

Most dudes will unwrap without looking at the tag, toss the immaculate and be-ribboned wrapping on the floor in a scrunched up mess, regard said socks with a "Neat!" or "Cool - now I don't have to buy them!" and flip the sock bunch into the underwear drawer, and then on to the next present.

Or maybe that's just me.

Here's some others in a similar vein:
    A can of shaving foam
    Tweezers for that mono-brow
    Industrial strength mouth wash, the harsher the better
    Some kind of miniature multi-purpose tool - Allan key sets are ideal

Please do not get the guy a book connected with his interests. There's little so naff as presuming that little book of '50 Albums to Listen To Before You Die' will enhance the life of a record nerd for example. Although it may well be desireable for a general nerd.

Personally, I'm hoping for the Abbott and Costello complete dvd box set.

I was joking! If I know them, I don't know the thong. I find them to be so unappealing, on anyone!
    If the pants came off and dude was wearing a thong - f*ck, that may be a deal-breaker!
    The horizontal divide is way more flattering than the vertical imo.

The horizontal divide is way more flattering than the vertical imo.

I have no idea what this means, and I think it's better that I don't.

I was trying to eloquently say plumber's butt (depending on the butt) is a better view than a thong. I am overtalking this and will end up regretting I even brought it up.

• Yeah, you can never have enough tools booze.

Yeah, after going to Japan Woodworker in Alameda I dropped the idea of a knife set
    (unless someone gave me a nice one as an x-mas gift!!)
    They have too many amazing knives made my people in Japan who have been making knives since the Samurai days.

Got this for moms first a few years ago, then got one for myself. After this , other
    than maybe a paring knife, you don't need much else!!

Shit's better than anything you'll find @ Sur La Table and they will sharpen your
    knife for free if you get too lazy to do it yourself.

• For clueless guys and/or guys w/kids: Old Navy Gift Certificate!

You (some dudes) can never have enough performance fleece hoodies...

performance fleece hoodies

I don't know what these are! Please explain!

• What do you get for a guy? Um... are you looking to come up with an ultimate answer and simply give every guy you know the same thing?

I don't care for power-tools. I probably would not mind the liquor, but I've never received that as a Christmas present. That seems like more of a birthday thing. And socks? Who gives socks?

I don't think there is a simple answer to this.

Personally I don't give people presents unless I know exactly what to get them, maybe you shouldn't either?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    the other reason why liquor is always a good idea: if they don't drink or dont like the drink, they can always re-gift it.

Real talk.

I don't think there is a simple answer to this.

There is. It's booze. Booze knows no season, it never goes out of style, and it's one size fits all.

• Honestly, I'd be happy getting something practical from a platonic friend. A gas card and/or grocery card. Yeah, not that exciting but it's a little better than just getting cash. Liquor/wine would be nice but I don't drink much and it would most likely sit on the shelf. Frankly, a dinner out would be ideal although that may send the wrong message.

Oh yea, a nice piece of hash has gone over well, too.

• performance fleece hoodies

I don't know what these are! Please explain!

• Something creative and beautiful made by your own hands and mind--a painting, a poem...

In my experience, guys don't respond well to hand crafted greeting cards and such. I mean, my dad might put something like that on the fridge with a magnet, but my brother will just continue looking around for the "real" gift.

Godfukkingdammit! I am the worst gifter!! You're so right. I don't even think girls like to receive incompetent crafts. They're just better at pretending to be pleased. I decorated our plant for my man while he's outta town for xmas. Is nothing at all better?

But I did try to get him cognac before and he complained. So then I busted my ass on this - which he will have to pretend to like, or be heartless:

Also, I only have -$500. The bank has been calling. So that's it. I flippin hate this holiday shit.

But I did try to get him cognac before and he complained.

Who complains about a gift?

• get the guy a gift card to the liquor store, $50 gift card to Bevmo was one of the best gifts I ever got from a coworker.

I like getting nice tools, Knipex pliers are awesome

i think good tools and top shelf liquor are safe gifts for most dudes. if it's someone who messes with instruments/gear than talk to someone at your local music store about suggestions if you know what kinda stuff he has and try to get him something he can use

one ex actually gave me a dewalt drill one year for my birthday and and i loved it. next year was a low-end SG. i guess i am dudelike

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

I know where he's coming from, though--he didn't want a simple store bought thing, he wanted intellectual beauty encapsulated in a piece of art.

• a dickhead friend; thats who.

I know where he's coming from, though--he didn't want a simple store bought thing, he wanted intellectual beauty encapsulated in a piece of art.

But my point being, people shouldn't expect other people to give them things, and they for damn sure shouldn't get disappointed if it's not something they absolutely love.

Is he on the Board?

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    What is your budget?

1.) Nice Wallet
    2.) Top Shelf Bottle of Alcohol
    3.) Fancy Magazine Subscription to whatever his hobby is, because we all have hobbies. ie Wax Poetics, Intersection Car Magazine etc.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

But my point being, people shouldn't expect other people to give them things, and they for damn sure shouldn't get disappointed if it's not something they absolutely love.
    I'd smash the bottle of cognac on the ground in front of her and take a picture of the glass and her and superimpose the image of her angry/sad face on the picture of the broken glass.