Gifts for guys?

AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
What do you get for a guy? DVDs? What if get a record and he doesn't like it? Deck of cards? Bottle of Jack? I'm not talking dad or husband, but a guy-friend or a secret santa type thing. Ladies are easy: nice lip gloss set, girly smelling hand lotion, stationery, etc. Just put a bow on it.

Comments

• Amoeba gift card?

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    The man is onto something...

• Sea-monkies??

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Chia Pet.

That is, if you can't find a Stretch Armstrong.

• What about original wwf collectables?? jake the snake bobble-head? I made my bro a leaping lenny popov t-shirt a few years back....

• Is this a romantic interest? Amoeba wouldn't be the look if so - I would go with a nice bottle of wine wrapped up in a box - unwrapped on the way to dinner at Frito Misto in Hermosa, paired with a nice walk on the beach. Cell phones off. These days it seems like undistracted time and conversation can be one of the greatest gifts you can give a loved one.

• Is this a romantic interest? Amoeba wouldn't be the look if so - I would go with a nice bottle of wine wrapped up in a box - unwrapped on the way to dinner at Frito Misto in Hermosa, paired with a nice walk on the beach. Cell phones off. These days it seems like undistracted time and conversation can be one of the greatest gifts you can give a loved one.

(ladies of Soulstrut feel free to PM to see what I mean-r)

Is this a romantic interest? Amoeba wouldn't be the look if so - I would go with a nice bottle of wine wrapped up in a box - unwrapped on the way to dinner at Frito Misto in Hermosa, paired with a nice walk on the beach. Cell phones off. These days it seems like undistracted time and conversation can be one of the greatest gifts you can give a loved one.

Not romantic, but in general. Like for the little brother (I'm not buying him any Jordans) or secret santa guy. I don't have any romantic interests to pursue at the moment. I do plan on getting my ex some Febreze, though.

• I'm with LordRadio. Is this the dude or just a dude? A dude would be happy with a bottle of Jack, record that you're into and think he'd be into, gift cards are acceptable. If it's your dude then something more personal is appreciated. Baby girl made me one of those nice fleece blankets where you tie the sides and she made it out of a fabric with all the Twins logos on it. It's one of the best presents I've gotten in years.

But liquor is always appreciated regardless of the relationship.

• Oh, well, then Amoeba.

(tiptoes out of thread)

ps. I am accepting bottles of wine and dinners at FM - Yuichi I'm looking at you baby!

Post deleted by HarveyCanal

• Apparently I was typing that last post while your replied so disregard that. Something funny maybe? Something inside joke related?

• Hell, posting in this thread beats watching the CSI Miami playing in the background. I'm to lazy to change the channel.

• OH SNAP.

I got it. buy this dude something that he would dig but would never splurge on for himself.

KIEHL'S ALL DAY

Hell, posting in this thread beats watching the CSI Miami playing in the background. I'm to lazy to change the channel.

Sounds about right.

• The show is much doper with the KMC album playing in the background. Mad ignorant South Central early nineties killer crime rap just upped this tv show to epic status.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Something creative and beautiful made by your own hands and mind--a painting, a poem...

I bought my brother hand sanitizer from Bath & Body Works. That way his hands will be clean when he handles his Jordans.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I do plan on getting my ex some Febreze, though.

• OH SNAP.

I got it. buy this dude something that he would dig but would never splurge on for himself.

KIEHL'S ALL DAY

I actually went to the Kiehl's store the other day, thinking I was going to get my friend (dude/new dad) some man Kiehl's stuff since I knew he would never bother...

But then I realized he's just that kind of dude who wouldn't know what the F*ck to do with this

when currently this

does everything for him???

Come to think of it, I still haven't gotten him anything yet and I just ended up getting myself a bunch of stuff.

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    From a platonic lady friend I would like a bottle of liquor or a CD that they are into that they know I am not hip to...maybe some shit for my house that a lady might notice is missing but most dudes are oblivious to like candles, nice little nick nacks, and such.

I actually just got back from the bar and could use some Febreeze though.

Something creative and beautiful made by your own hands and mind--a painting, a poem...

In my experience, guys don't respond well to hand crafted greeting cards and such. I mean, my dad might put something like that on the fridge with a magnet, but my brother will just continue looking around for the "real" gift.

• sergserg 682 Posts
    get the guy a gift card to the liquor store, $50 gift card to Bevmo was one of the best gifts I ever got from a coworker.

I like getting nice tools, Knipex pliers are awesome

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    get the guy a gift card to the liquor store, $50 gift card to Bevmo was one of the best gifts I ever got from a coworker.

I like getting nice tools, Knipex pliers are awesome

Leatherman multi-tool.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    Yeah, you can never have enough tools. I got a godzillion-piece toolset a few years ago and still can't resist more sockets and screwdrivers.

• OH SNAP.

KIEHL'S ALL DAY

I actually went to the Kiehl's store the other day, thinking I was going to get my friend (dude/new dad) some man Kiehl's stuff since I knew he would never bother...

But then I realized he's just that kind of dude who wouldn't know what the F*ck to do with this

when currently this

does everything for him???

Come to think of it, I still haven't gotten him anything yet and I just ended up getting myself a bunch of stuff.

Wowwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! my ma got this for my sis' boyfriend for chrissy!! A whole box of diff products!! Had never even heard of this until she showed me it today ........coincidence ....... hmmmmmmmmm.......

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    -beers of the world six or 12 pack - buy singles of different int'l beers (don't forget Dragon Stout)
    -socks - apparently can never have too many of these. (boxers/briefs/thongs might be too intimate)
    -book(s) on things he is interested in
    -IOU on a home-cooked meal - if you can cook
    -gift certificate to go towards his next Jordans
    -high quality knife set if he cooks
    -box set of his favourite childhood show
    -about Kiehl's, even the manliest man can get really dry skin, their superstrength handcream is really really good and has no scent
    -if you have the right info about size and taste, $$$ jeans

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Post deleted by HarveyCanal

I was hoping this thread would be going in the direction that the above post may or may not have been taking it.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Yeah, you can never have enough tools booze.

I like the knife set idea, too. But I cook a lot.