has this ever happened to you?

DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
i came back to my hometown of dc for the holidays. so last night i was djing a pretty popular local party here. i think i was doing pretty well. packed dancefloor all night, lotsa compliments ect. so one of the local guys i don't know was supposed to close out for the last 30 minutes. he says, "think i can hop on now?" i was fine with that, but didnt have much song left, so i said, "ok, lemme throw on one more"b, 21dude steps in like, "Nah, im playing now" and unplugs my headphones. i wanted to pop that little fucker in his mouth, but i just looked at him, hit the brakes on the song playing, and walked off.b, 21b, 21that shit got me real heated. has anyone ever experienced such foul behavior in the dj booth?

Comments

• what was the song he had ready?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    he had a tittsworth record in hand.b, 21b, 21oh thats the other thing... he gets on and starts playing a bunch of crappy baltimore versions of wedding songs like he was on the cutting edge of playing other peoples records. what a herb

• When did u find out he was supposed to close the nite out?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i knew he was supposed to close out.b, 21, i was just trying to ensure a smooth transition between us.

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21he had a tittsworth record in hand.
    b, 21
    b, 21oh thats the other thing... he gets on and starts playing a bunch of crappy baltimore versions of wedding songs like he was on the cutting edge of playing other peoples records. what a herb
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21That is assclown behavior

• Despite me actively trying to clean up my web persona, I would have punked dude.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    DresskieBoogie has a story like this img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif" alt="" 21

• "That's No Forgive Action"b, 21b, 21Ive let cats randomly get on while im workin, but sometimes cats think they're takin over the kitchen. b, 21b, 21Ill let u rock for an hour, but know your a fuskin guest and close the fusk out.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Yes, happened to a DJ friend. He was supposed to be playing alongside a band or something, and the sounds started to "compete." Instead of asking him adjust the volume, they just unplugged his set. He came home pissssssed.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Yes, happened to a DJ friend. He was supposed to be playing alongside a band or something, and the sounds started to "compete." Instead of asking him adjust the volume, they just unplugged his set. He came home pissssssed.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Live Hip Hop Band related?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21he had a tittsworth record in hand.
    b, 21
    b, 21oh thats the other thing... he gets on and starts playing a bunch of crappy baltimore versions of wedding songs like he was on the cutting edge of playing other peoples records. what a herb
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21T*m, where were you at last night? I know you are doing St Ex tonite, right?

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21"That's Never Forgive Action"
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21this is the first thing that popped into my mind when i read that!b, 21b, 21dude sounds like a clown. even if you were rotten and f*ckin up the dancefloor (not saying you were), there is a basic respect to give to someone and that dude didn't. i would have choked him.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21i came back to my hometown of dc for the holidays. so last night i was djing a pretty popular local party here. i think i was doing pretty well. packed dancefloor all night, lotsa compliments ect. so one of the local guys i don't know was supposed to close out for the last 30 minutes. he says, "think i can hop on now?" i was fine with that, but didnt have much song left, so i said, "ok, lemme throw on one more"
    b, 21dude steps in like, "Nah, im playing now" and unplugs my headphones. i wanted to pop that little fucker in his mouth, but i just looked at him, hit the brakes on the song playing, and walked off.
    b, 21
    b, 21that shit got me real heated. has anyone ever experienced such foul behavior in the dj booth?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21img src="http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd19/1SmoothDj/Slomo_PimpSlap.gif"1b, 21b, 21Be glad you're onto bigger and better thangs. Fuck that dude.b, 21b, 21Anyone ever have the reverse situation happen?b, 21b, 21/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21...speaking of djs, i saw dj assault + dj funk at primavera last week. for those who dont know, they are pretty much the biggest names in ghettotech. alan braxe (who co-produced ???the music sounds better with you???) was overrunning by about 10 minutes after several requests by dj assault to cut the record. alan braxe continued to ignore him, so dj assault walks over, pushes him into a speaker stack, and then grabs the mic and shouts ???IM FROM DETROIT HOMEBOY???. the crowd cheers, onstage scuffle ensues, and then assault comes back and drops some 150bpm techno with songs about licking pussy over the top.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21this is the first thing that popped into my mind when i read that!
    b, 21
    b, 21dude sounds like a clown. even if you were rotten and f*ckin up the dancefloor (not saying you were), there is a basic respect to give to someone and that dude didn't. i would have choked him.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21u wouldnt have choked him.

• Sounds like dude wanted to get on and ride off your crowd. Maybe he had a bird in the audience or something.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    That's never happened to me, I'm a real mellow dude and don't really condone volience. However this is grounds for a jab to the face. That being said you did the right thing by stopping the record and letting a cool head prevail.

• Name drop that pissant.

• sounds like you got herbed.not sure what you could have done though...get physical and theres a good chance you end up looking like a complete dickhead and turntables might get knocked over or someshit. you probably made the right decision to not even react. you should have pretended to swing at his jaw and tried to make him flinch. and told him to not come around you with that nut shit. maybe you could have frisbeed some shit of his onto the dancefloor? either way, it should have been addressed that he was acting like a f*cking spoiled bitch

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21you should have pretended to swing at his jaw and tried to make him flinch
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1 b, 21b, 21lol

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    What up delay! Yeah man that shit has happened to me in the past. Other things to like the opening dj does not want to stop playing! Which is all good to me as long as I get paid what I'm booked for, they can play the whole night. I have also seen other djs get on and just totally ruin and kill the dope vibe the previous dj had going already.

• several years back, I was doing a 10min showcase with the dance co. I was working with, and DJ Spooky's DJ started UNHOOKING THE f*cking MIXER when we had only 2 min. left in the routine

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21 you got herbed
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21This phrase needs a comeback, stat.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21 i just looked at him, hit the brakes on the song playing, and walked off.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21You did the best thing you could do, a bitch slap would have felt nice but notb, 21the best move all things considered.b, 21He's says it's time so no mas...b, 21Dead Air, prolly left him looking super stoopid.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21 i just looked at him, hit the brakes on the song playing, and walked off.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21You did the best thing you could do, a bitch slap would have felt nice but not
    b, 21the best move all things considered.
    b, 21He's says it's time so no mas...
    b, 21Dead Air, prolly left him looking super stoopid.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21oh yeah, forgot about that grand exit. thats not too shabby at all. i take back the herbed comment. especially if you didnt even look back. if you had a mic you could have shouted out "and now dj tiny on the ones and twos" of something, but that wouldnt have been too subtle

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    One of the things that REALLY pisses me off is when a band is gonna play after your set or later in the night and they get on stage WHILE your playing and start tuning their f*cking instruments and practicing etc. OVER your set.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21this is the first thing that popped into my mind when i read that!
    b, 21
    b, 21dude sounds like a clown. even if you were rotten and f*ckin up the dancefloor (not saying you were), there is a basic respect to give to someone and that dude didn't. i would have choked him.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21u wouldnt have choked him.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21most likely not. but he would have gotten the glower of a lifetime.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21One of the things that REALLY pisses me off is when a band is gonna play after your set or later in the night and they get on stage WHILE your playing and start tuning their f*cking instruments and practicing etc. OVER your set.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21yeah, considering that they should have done a sound check BEFORE the club even opens!

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    F*ck dat dude

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21One of the things that REALLY pisses me off is when a band is gonna play after your set or later in the night and they get on stage WHILE your playing and start tuning their f*cking instruments and practicing etc. OVER your set.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21yeah, considering that they should have done a sound check BEFORE the club even opens!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21every band does this. always. the drummer starts playing "beatz" on top of your record and everyone else fucks around on top.b, 21b, 21i don't mind some quick tuning b/c sometimes things go out of tune or whatever, but when it goes past a 30 sec tuning into "i'm going to play on top of this for 10 minutes", that's an asshole move... esp. b/c most rock musicians these days are way too shitty to play on top of something and make it sound good...

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21yeah, considering that they should have done a sound check BEFORE the club even opens!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21every band does this. always. the drummer starts playing "beatz" on top of your record and everyone else fucks around on top.
    b, 21
    b, 21i don't mind some quick tuning b/c sometimes things go out of tune or whatever, but when it goes past a 30 sec tuning into "i'm going to play on top of this for 10 minutes", that's an asshole move... esp. b/c most rock musicians these days are way too shitty to play on top of something and make it sound good...
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21yeah man, don't get me wrong, i don't mind a little 'blend out of the last DJ song into the band's first song'