Philadelphia folls

TheeeCasualMaleTheeeCasualMale 2,564 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
A good friend of mine is moving to Philadelphia in a couple of weeks and he's into all the same kinda shit we are. I know there's tons of Philly folks on here, so if you know the ledge, please give up the goods on weekly club nights to check out, restaurants, parks, shops, art galleries, Rocky statues, worlds of beats, etc. so I can pass along the info and help make his move as cush as possible. This is a dude who will come out and be a strong supporter of dope music and other cool events going on, so make this thread smellin' like infonesia.

Thanks homies,
MIKE

Comments

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Tell him to watch the fuck out for the Philly Parking Authority. Assholes, I hate them.

What part of the city is he moving to?

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    He needs to watch out for people who randomly murder people for staring at them too long... the music related stuff he will figure out naturally.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Tell him to watch the fuck out for the Philly Parking Authority. Assholes, I hate them.

wow. truth. hardest working heads in town

reading terminal market is food groundzero

thats all i know

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    He needs to watch out for people who randomly murder people for staring at them too long...

REAL SPEAK[/b]

reading terminal market is food groundzero

thats all i know

The amish food stand when you go in the back way is the spot. Best cheese burger in the city, but they have crazy hours and they arnt open every day. I would always get cravings for their food and get their and its closed.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    So Necessary:

- Hollertronix Philly Parties (next is August 20)

- Ballertronix: Pre-hollertronix basketball day (established by me... also cleverly named by me) where I dunk on people (figuratively speaking)

- "Soul Travelin'" Sunday's at Loie's (on 19th between Walnut and Samson) with DJ Brendan Bring'em. This is by far the hottest weekly residency in the city.

- Armand's rekkid store on 11th and Chestnut. By far the hottest record store in the city (as far as contemporary shit).

- Hoagie Realness: Tony Luke's down on Oregon. Best cheesesteaks, roast porks, and chicken cutlets.

- White T's: Chinese corner store on 7th and Wolf. Finding T's at corner stores is easy, but I have a soft spot for this spot.

- Crossfaded Thursdays at Filo's: My dude and I DJ at Filo's on Thursdays. Shit is somewhat slow early since Philly mid-week night life is fairly week during the summer, but it usually pops off later.

- First Fridays: Every first Friday of the month in Old City around Front Street all the Art galleries debut their new exhibits. Shit's fun and hella busy and you'll see some cool art. Swing over to 1026 on Arch Street later to peep the hipster realness.

- R5 Productions: Dude Sean Agnew holds the city down the indy-DIY, fuck Clear Channel shows. Peep. Dude does it DIY but real big.

blah.

-e

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    He needs to watch out for people who randomly murder people for staring at them too long...

REAL SPEAK[/b]

Who's this, the guy who killed the lady down around 9th & Market?

I left philly last summer, my dad just told me about the new bar tax. Now that sucks.

REAL SPEAK[/b]

My wife knows this dude, they went to school together like a year ago... I went to that school too... she told me that dude used to carry a school bag that was mad heavy... my wife needed to sit down one day and moved it and she said it was real heavy... he used to go off if people even went near his bag... They got him on that Logan station murder... Ray Jr. and I had just been there before it happened...

• thanks for the info and warnings!

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    http://www.complex.com/cgi-bin/travel/show.cgi?id=1034&type=single

Philadelphia
    COSMO BAKER has been widely regarded as Philly's premier party DJ for the past decade. He has held residencies alongside partners such as?uestlove and King Britt, and has influenced some of Philly's top DJs with his trademark style. Being the man-about-town that he is, it???s only appropriate that he shares his top spots for gear, records, clubs and food in the City of Brotherly Love.
    To find out where he???s spinning or to pick up some of his famous mix CDs, check out www.cosmobaker.com

RECORD STORES

Armand's Records : 1108 Chestnut St.
    ???I've been going to Armand's since back when you could buy brass knuckles and starter pistols. Still, this place is the end-all-be-all for record shoppers. If you need "that record" for your party, they're more than likely to have 50 copies. And, with employees like Dirty South Joe bringing in the best heat of all genres, you're more than likely to be turned on to the next big record that you haven't heard about yet.???

AKA Music : 7 North 2nd St. (COMPLEX PICK)
    ???Nestled in &#quiet" Old City Philadelphia, this store is your best bet for the "alternative" side of music. They carry a great selection of vinyl, with everything from the newest "backpacker" hit to that infectious indie rock song that gets all the girls with asymmetrical haircuts shaking their asses.???

Val Shively's R&B Records : 49 Garrett Rd.
    ???When it comes to the discerning collector of vintage music, there's no better place to go than to Val Shively's paradise of over 4 million 45s. Ask me where I got my copy of Biggie's "Warning" on 45, know what I mean? Best be on your toes though, because Val has to warm up to you before he'll even sell you that elusive record you've been looking to get for ages.???

EATS

Dimitri's : 795 South 3rd Street
    ???This small spot specializes in it's distinctive Tapas menu, serving the best Mediterranean cuisine and it???s a perfect place to bring a woman for a date - very romantic but not over the top. Expect to pay about $20 to $30 per person, so you can ball out on a budget. Sometimes there's a bit of a wait (it's very popular with the locals), so until your table is ready you can go across the street to the New Wave Cafe to grab a drink and catch part of the Sixer's game.???

Morimoto : 723 Chestnut St.
    ???Japanese fusion cuisine at it's finest, run by namesake Chef Morimoto, also known as IRON CHEF MORIMOTO. The place itself is high art, with design that rivals any restaurant. But it's the food itself that truly should be called high art. After a trip here you will never go back to Teriyaki Boy again. Also, it's definitely the place to "be seen", so dress your most stylish. Rumor has it that Morimoto are in the process of opening a Morimoto in New York, so Money Making Manhattan, watch out.???

Pat's Steaks : 9th St. @ Wharton St. & Passyunk St. (COMPLEX PICK)
    ???Pat's is THE SURE SHOT for a traditional Philly cheese steak. Owned and operated by the Olivieri family since 1930, Pat's is quick to serve up an authentic Philly steak 24/7/365. This place is always bustling with business, so it's best to learn how to order a cheese like a pro. Just say "Wiz Wit" and they know what you're talking about. Although many places in Philly serve a great cheese steak (shout out to Tony Luke's), Pat's reliability and consistency make it my first choice on the list. Once you have the experience, you will know what I'm talking about (especially after getting out of the club at 2 AM.)???

CLUBS/BARS

Fluid Nightclub : 613 South 4th St.
    ???This comfortable and stylish club is the place to see the world's top DJs when they play Philly. Seven nights a week they host parties with different themes and music ranging from 60s go-go and punk to drum and bass to hip hop. The list of resident DJs are a who's who of Philly's renowned DJ talent, including everyone from ?uestlove to Josh Wink to Dieselboy, and that's not including the world famous guests that visit Fluid often. Oh yeah, and the unisex bathrooms can be a lot of fun as well.???

Bungalow VII : 111/113 Cotton St.
    ???When it comes time to get your "grown and sexy" on, there's no better place to go than Manayunk's Bungalow VII. They offer bottle service and have personal lockers for your favorite libations, and the crowd is as good looking as it gets. The weekend in particular heats up at Bungalow, especially the Selective Saturday's party that brings out local heroes like Allen Iverson and Freeway to get their groove on.???

Palmer Social Club : 601 Spring Garden St.
    ???If you just want to wild out, this is the place for you. A mainstay in Philly for almost 10 years, it's one of Philly's only after-hours spots, so this place gets packed beyond belief by 2 AM. A huge club that takes up 3 floors of an old Jewish religious goods warehouse, the rotating line-up of DJs at the Palmer play nothing but hottest hip hop, R&B and reggae all night long. The scene can get a little hectic sometimes, but when it comes to keeping your night going there's really no other choice.???

Hollertronix @ The U.A.C.A. : 847 North Franklin St. (COMPLEX PICK)
    ???If you are truly lucky, you will be in Philly on a night when DJs Diplo and Low Budget are throwing their world famous Hollertronix parties. It's held every several months with no real scheduling in the basement of a Ukrainian social club in North Philly. You will never ever see such a display of debauchery, hipster mania and all around crunkness as long as you live. Diplo and Low Budget get it in with their insane mixing skills, and although they've played all over, it's nothing compared to what the party's like at it's home base. Wear what you want, just be prepared to sweat and lose 10 pounds.???

STORES & STUFF

Ubiq : 1509 Walnut St. (COMPLEX PICK)
    ???This brand new spot in Philly is the authority on all things "hip", especially when it comes to the fine art of sneaker wearing. A specialty shop in every sense of the word, this is the only place in Philly for you to find yourself some Bapesta's, Ice Creams or limited edition Nike Air Force 1s in color combinations that are unimaginable. Also, once you get your feet fixed, walk around and cop some gear like a limited edition Reas shirt and some Paper Denim joints.???

Mitchell & Ness : 1318 Chestnut St.
    ???So hip hop heads have officially declared the era of the throwback dead, huh? Philly heads have been rocking throwbacks for years, and they will fail to fall victim to hip hops fickle fashion sense. The real deal, Mitchell & Ness created the throwback game almost 20 years ago and have been running it ever since. Real heads know that when fanfare of what's ???in this year??? dies down, the people who collect throwbacks can get back to doing what they do best - wearing their love and appreciation for their favorite team or players. We in Philly take our sports VERY SERIOUSLY, so why not let it show????

Dead On. glad you said pat's and not Gino's

And as far as food. chocolate bread pudding at silk city.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

REAL SPEAK[/b]

Who's this, the guy who killed the lady down around 9th & Market?

Yep and has confessed to killing his cousin, a preacher in a home during a religious service. Dude put on a ski mask and just went up in there. He thought his cousin was using "witchcraft" on him and offed him so he wouldn't get harmed anymore. He's also linked through a gun tracing to several other senseless murders in the area. He murdered the lady McDermott because he says she used radiation on him which made him impotent and couldn't stand to be a man and not have her fear him. Shot her right in the back of the head.

Craziest shit going on in the world right now.

Ray - that's nuts! Gald to know that you and family members weren't in danger, having had brushes with this guy.

In regards to Philly, I've been here for two years and am always learning new things and finding shit to do that I haven't done before. It's really more of a get here and feel it out sort of city. I wouldn't give the sociability of Philly a very high rating though, seems like established groups do their thing and newcomers have to either make their own or find some way to tap into the sparse social networks. Otherwise, people pretty much keep to themselves, from my experience. But it's all here if you want it.

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts

• Damn, you fuckin' said it. Best chicken cheesesteak in all of Philly. Nice selection of peppers too.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Yeah I was on the fence about it but I figured I had to shout Pat's out cause that's teh steak I grew up on, but Dalessandro's is a great steak no doubt.

Still, South Philly represent.

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    yo i'm going to be in philly for the 1st time ever!! coming up next week. i'll be in philly on a sunday night aug 7th. anything popping off?? probalby won't have time for trades and all (i'll be with the girl) but i would love to catch a sunday night spot, anybody rocking???? or looking to get drinks????

- "Soul Travelin'" Sunday's at Loie's (on 19th between Walnut and Samson) with DJ Brendan Bring'em. This is by far the hottest weekly residency in the city.

what's up with this night?? soul 45's? funky shit?? ip op??

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

No, just like regular dance classics (Michael Jackson & Prince etc) some Baltimore, some house... but a little freakiness slipped in there once in a while, but still it's currently Philly's best party by far.

www.soultravelers.net

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

Soul, disco, hip-hop, dancehall, house, etc, etc.

It's really the dopest party in the city--real diverse crowd with really good vibes and Brendan Bring'em holds it down with Joey Blanco all night long. No cover, no dress code and they've got Lager pints for $4 which isn't a bad deal at all considering how nice the place is.

If you're here on a Sunday night, go.

I called Sansom Street "Samson." HAHA! Shit. I need more than 2 hours sleep.

-e

looks tight! people are all hyped on that baltimore sound? what's the deal?? isn't it kind of like acid house or hardcore?

dude at far right of photo looks like a young charles earland.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    looks tight! people are all hyped on that baltimore sound? what's the deal?? isn't it kind of like acid house or hardcore?

dude at far right of photo looks like a young charles earland.

Baltimore club AKA Baltimore house AKA Knucklehead.

Real fast breaks - usually using the "Sing Sing" or "Think" break. Layered with different shit. It could be hip-hop samples, call and response shit, TV theme songs, classic Motown samples... whatever. Really nothing like Acid House or Hardcore.

Ray - that's nuts! Gald to know that you and family members weren't in danger, having had brushes with this guy.

My wife told me that she had to do a project with him, her and her friend who I call Halle Tosis... anyway my wife and her friend did all the work because they were afraid to ask him to do any work... when the project was over, he asked my wife why they didnt ask him for any help, my wife said that she told him that she knew he was busy and they didnt want to bother him... my said that he said "Thats what I'm talking about, yall care about a brother..." My wife said she could tell he was nuts so she kept her distance... crazy...

wow ray, thats a brush with something ugly right there.

emynd, i didnt know you were in philly. repping 1026 r5 white tees and you play basketball too?. damn. me and my brother came down to the last one at palumbo but every one was finishing up. yall didnt want none of this anyway.

just to rep some more eateries:
    great date spots (on a non- budget):
    latest dish- side dishes kill it. but the menus all good
    capo giro- artisan ice cream, as good as anything ive eaten in italy
    sunwishes- top notch vegetarian food
    dalak- debatable whether its the best ethi food, but you get to eat with your hands and the ambiance is nice
    jamaican jerk hut- ambiance wins again...especially in the backyard

diggin deeper:
    malcolms on ridge for fish,crabs,soulfood (havent been there in several years though)
    garden of bilal- halal. couple spots. fish hoagie is uncontrollable
    soho pizza - far from the best, and the pizza gets worse as the night goes on, but its a meatmarket in there on weekend nights. fun to people watch and lady talk.
    wrap shack- 2nd street spot. grreat mushroom thing. free ---r on first friday. what!!! shhh
    govinda's- hare krishna veggie cheese steaks. very very good
    45th and walnut 24 hour middle eastern grocery- very very affordable falafel , any time youwant.

ok. i said too much. philly is dope.
    we need some good mexican food though.

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts

There's a Mexican food spot right on South St.Like between 5th and 6th,somewhere around there.Made to order authentic shit including a big vegetarian section on their menu...check it out.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

There's a Mexican food spot right on South St.Like between 5th and 6th,somewhere around there.Made to order authentic shit including a big vegetarian section on their menu...check it out.

That shits not real dude. Closest thing to authentic Mexican is down South Philly, and even that's a stretch.

That shits not real dude. Closest thing to authentic Mexican is down South Philly, and even that's a stretch.

If you want real Mexican you have to drive to Kenet Square.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

If you want real Mexican you have to drive to Kenet Square.

Now that's not really Philly there, is it...