font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I love how the piece notes that "in Arab culture", the sole of the shoe is considered insulting, as if throwing shoes at people could be a kind gesture in other parts of the world. f*cking ethnocentric reporting, blarghgh.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21I thought the same thing. some intern probably found that on the internet somewhere.
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lush.gif" alt="" 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21you guys are missing the point... by saying "the sole of the show is considered insulting in arabic culture" they are emphesizing the contrast between here where the sole of shoe has no particular meaning at all... b, 21b, 21it is a big deal in many arabic countries, to the point that it's considered insulting to sit with you leg on your knee b/c the other person can see the sole of your shoe!

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Now, take a break from the bathist sympathizing and be honest with yourself for just a moment, do any of you actually believe obama wouldve dodged those shoes?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Obama = what shoes?b, 21b, 21But for a 'lame-duck' president, Bush actually did ok. I love the face on the guy next to him.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21he would have caught them
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21 img src="http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o86/Autologic180/1175143341245.gif"1

• Yeah the only reason they are writing "In Arab culture it is considered an insult..." is because a lot of the early reaction was ZOMG WTF DUDE THREW HIS SHOES!?1! THOSE WACKY A-RABS

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I kind of wish the thrower was an octopus/human** hybrid, then he could have lobbed a cluster.b, 21b, 21** Octoman? Hupus?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21georgie boy ducked like a champ though.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21yeah. it looked like he practiced a lot!

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    My Arabic isn't great but it sounded like he said "don't tase me bro" when the security jumped him!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    You know we live in fucked-up times when this is a headline around the world:b, 21b, 21"Bush ducks shoes on farewell trip to war zones"/b1

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21he would have caught them
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21IMG SRC="http://farm1.static.flickr.com/174/442171453_c87f841e25_o.jpg" WIDTH=3501

• object width="445" height="364"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"1/embed1/object1b, 21Real Men of Genius: Mr. Iraqi Journalist Shoe Thrower Guy

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I love how the piece notes that "in Arab culture", the sole of the shoe is considered insulting, as if throwing shoes at people could be a kind gesture in other parts of the world. f*cking ethnocentric reporting, blarghgh.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I think you're missing the point.

• Notice how the Iraqi journalists at the presser not only put the man down, but also apologize for the incident. Also, al Baghdadiya is a pro-Sunni insurgent satellite station. In other words they favor the Islamic Khmer Rouge that was bested by the tribal coalition known as Satwa in 2007 who joined our Marines. Of course dude is bitter. His people lost their war, largely because most Iraqis had the courage to turn on these tormentors.

• gotta say premier warlord bush would be a fantastic dodge ball player.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21doesn't he look kind of excited after the first shoe. Sort of like "ha ha, what the F*ck was that." He doesn't look mad really, more amused." That's too funny.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Yeah, that's probably my favorite part of the whole thing--he's got a "wow, really? You're just gonna throw shoes at me? That's what's hot in the streets right now?" look.

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    It is true that muslims don't think in high regards about feet. No sleeping with your feet facing Mecca, plaese.

• what's up with dude having to go down to get his second shoe? he didn't plan ahead for the shoe throwing by having one in each hand? if he had gotten the second one quicker he might have been able hit his target.

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    I'm picturing a wire shoe rack wrapped around his torso a la bullets.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    "[i]This is a farewell kiss, you dog...This is from the widows, the orphans and those who were killed in Iraq./i1"b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Let the circus begin, or rather, continue - Hussein's lawyer has started to put a legal team together for al-Zeidi's defence.

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    I'm thinking the next person to hurl something at Bush should make it down and to the right.

• Guantanamo's gonna suck without shoes

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I'm thinking the next person to hurl something at Bush should make it
    a handful of poop[/b].... b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I can already see this weekend's SNL intro coming together with items escalating in size being hurled at G. Dub.b, 21b, 21b/wb, 21b, 21The David Patterson Weekend Update sketch...b, 21b, 21b, 21img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/718.gif" alt="" 21

Joke I wish I had thought of but didn't:b, 21b, 21What we're seeing is the last throws of the insurgency!b, 21b, 21*rimshot*

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21al Baghdadiya is a pro-Sunni insurgent satellite station. In other words they favor the Islamic Khmer Rouge that was bested by the tribal coalition known as Satwa in 2007 who joined our Marines. Of course dude is bitter. His people lost their war, largely because most Iraqis had the courage to turn on these tormentors.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21"This is a farewell kiss, you dog...This is from the widows, the orphans and those who were killed in Iraq."
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Yeah, I can see how his statements reflect personal/ethno beef and a general hate for the democratic way of living. b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/NO.gif" alt="" 21

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    vitaminb, 21b, 21Most of the insurgency works for the Americans now in the Sons of Iraq. The "people" didn't turn their backs on the insurgency, the insurgency largely flipped sides.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21vitamin
    b, 21
    b, 21Most of the insurgency works for the Americans now in the Sons of Iraq. The "people" didn't turn their backs on the insurgency, the insurgency largely flipped sides.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21What does that mean? In the context of the war, doesn't flipping sides mean turning backs? Also many Iraqis today cooperate with the Americans and Iraqi military against the remnants of the Shiia and Sunni insurgencies, whereas they had not before. This is in part because security has improved, so the local population trust the Americans to protect them from the terrorists. But it is also because the terrorists had tried to marry into the tribal networks that at first on the Sunni side provided an uneasy shelter to the Wahabbis. Regardless, most Iraqis turned against the insurgency that the al Baghdadidiyah reporter's network supported from the confines of my former base of operations in Cairo.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21vitamin
    b, 21
    b, 21Most of the insurgency works for the Americans now in the Sons of Iraq. The "people" didn't turn their backs on the insurgency, the insurgency largely flipped sides.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21What does that mean? In the context of the war, doesn't flipping sides mean turning backs? Also many Iraqis today cooperate with the Americans and Iraqi military against the remnants of the Shiia and Sunni insurgencies, whereas they had not before. This is in part because security has improved, so the local population trust the Americans to protect them from the terrorists. But it is also because the terrorists had tried to marry into the tribal networks that at first on the Sunni side provided an uneasy shelter to the Wahabbis. Regardless, most Iraqis turned against the insurgency that the al Baghdadidiyah reporter's network supported from the confines of my former base of operations in Cairo.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21What it means is that the people with the guns didn't get turned on by the civilians. The people with the guns switched sides. b, 21b, 21The stuff about marrying into the tribes gets overplayed IMO. The major reasons in Anbar at least were because Al Qaeda in Iraq was trying to take over the tribes' illegal businesses and had a habit of killing people who didn't follow their lead. Again, almost all of those tribes in Anbar were once insurgents. The Anbar Awakening was an Iraqi creation. The Sons of Iraq that followed were largely created by the U.S.

P.S. - Whatever his individual politcs might be as well, there appears to be a lot of popular support amongst Iraqis for what he did.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21img src="http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/8466/shoethrowqu7.gif"1