How cold does it get in your room?

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
Seriously...my room gets f*ckin' cold in the winter. The time it takes for the heater to warm up my room, I'm freezing my ass off. One time I was actually blowing white air in my room...img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snowman.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icegrill.gif" alt="" 21

Comments

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i live in an old 20s brick building with thin walls. water begins to freeze in our master bedroom in the night when its cold out. pretty bad for a city that doesnt normally dip below 50 and rarely snows.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i used to live in the basement apartment of this 4 floor building and it was freezing in April and May. No heat whatsoever and the apartments were illegal but really cheap!b, 21b, 21in the summer i figured "hey atleast it will be cool"b, 21b, 21WRONGb, 21straight swelteringb, 21b, 21i got out of there in July and now and the heat kicks too hot sometimes

• f*cking freezing in my home. it sucks. there's a ban on burning wood right now in SF because the air quality is bad right now, so i can't use my fireplace. no centralized heating in my old craftsman either, just an old timey furnace in the hallway that doesn't warm anything except the hallway.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    why are people in Cali talking about cold?b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/game02vy9.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/718.gif" alt="" 21

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Seriously...my room gets f*ckin' cold in the winter. The time it takes for the heater to warm up my room, I'm freezing my ass off. One time I was actually blowing white air in my room...
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snowman.gif" alt="" 21
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icegrill.gif" alt="" 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21img src="http://computing.fnal.gov/cdops/images/RobStore.jpg"1

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21why are people in Cali talking about cold?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/game02vy9.gif" alt="" 21
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/718.gif" alt="" 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21As a recent transplant from NC to L.A., 3 months ago I would have agreed with you - it only drops to 50 degrees here while my fam in NC has been telling me about sub-zero temps for weeks. b, 21b, 21The difference is that in NC, almost every house has super-powerful AC and heating - there's simply no way to do without it; people would be dropping like flies in the summer and freezing to death in the winter. But here in L.A. it's like all the builders assumed it would be 70 degrees every day so almost none of the houses have any way of controlling the temperature. b, 21b, 21As a result, if it's 80 degrees during the day, my sun-exposed bedroom is sweltering from 2pm-6pm even when the shades are drawn. And now that it's cooled off to an overnight low of 50, the days are ok but every night it gets so frigid that I wake up in a freezer every morning. b, 21b, 21img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snowman.gif" alt="" 21

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    this morning my girlfriend had to get into her car through the passenger side - the door lock on the drivers side had frozen solid overnight

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21why are people in Cali talking about cold?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/game02vy9.gif" alt="" 21
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/718.gif" alt="" 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21As a recent transplant from NC to L.A., 3 months ago I would have agreed with you - it only drops to 50 degrees here while my fam in NC has been telling me about sub-zero temps for weeks.
    b, 21
    b, 21The difference is that in NC, almost every house has super-powerful AC and heating - there's simply no way to do without it; people would be dropping like flies in the summer and freezing to death in the winter. But here in L.A. it's like all the builders assumed it would be 70 degrees every day so almost none of the houses have any way of controlling the temperature.
    b, 21
    b, 21As a result, if it's 80 degrees during the day, my sun-exposed bedroom is sweltering from 2pm-6pm even when the shades are drawn. And now that it's cooled off to an overnight low of 50, the days are ok but every night it gets so frigid that I wake up in a freezer every morning.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I second this phenomenon. I grew up in NC, and always felt right in terms of temp indoors, no matter what the weather. But, in the yay area for 6 years, my room got cold as a motherfucker during the winter, and for 3 years in az our house was always cold in the winter (both even with heat, and both with relatively mild winters). but now that i'm in va, its the first time i've felt like its the right temperature inside consistently in about 10 years.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Seriously...my room gets f*ckin' cold in the winter. The time it takes for the heater to warm up my room, I'm freezing my ass off. One time I was actually blowing white air in my room...
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icegrill.gif" alt="" 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Seems your CPU has frozen on that lame diss for a minute now...Come again.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21water begins to freeze in our master bedroom in the night when its cold out.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1 b, 21b, 21This is what I'm talking about right here. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snowman.gif" alt="" 21

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21But here in L.A. it's like all the builders assumed it would be 70 degrees every day so almost none of the houses have any way of controlling the temperature.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21This is true of all of California. Plus, if you're a native Californian like myself, the unnaturally fair weather turns you into a giant pussy. 50 degrees feels arctic if you don't know anything else.

• Options
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21there's a ban on burning wood right now in SF because the air quality is bad right now, so i can't use my fireplace.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1 b, 21b, 21How about burning plastic instead? I'm sure SF wouldn't mind that.b, 21b, 21I never knew NYC had a ban on open fires until a couple weeks ago when we got sent on a call with a report of a fire in a private dwelling. When we showed up with 4 trucks and 20 guys ready to tear someone's house apart we found some poor schmuck in his backyard with a little 2'x2' firepit and the smallest little fire, just chilling with a glass of wine. One of his neighbors ratted him out. I had to hold back from laughing as it seemed so absurd to me that we had to blast this little fire out with a fire extinguisher while he stood there looking like we just kicked his dog in the balls, meanwhile I live maybe 10 miles away and burn the wooden equivalent of the Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria every few nights.

• Cosign on what Crink said...I turn into a HUGE pussy when the temp dips below 75 degrees. All bundled up like hoLmes from Christmas Story.

• The coldest I've EVER been is inside older buildings in SF. When I'm out at my cutty's house on Geneva Ave and that fog rolls in it is colder than I've ever been in NYC.b, 21b, 21Out here it is mandated by law that the buildings gotta turn on the heat under a certain temperature. You can call the city and report a mofo. But most of these old buildings have half-century old radiators that have no temp control so it's quite regular to have the window open in 20 degree weather!

• i didn't have my gas turned on till 2 weeks ago. i waited it out as long as possible. stupid move, it was cold... like dick frozen to your leg cold.

• Options
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21The coldest I've EVER been is inside older buildings in SF. When I'm out at my cutty's house on Geneva Ave and that fog rolls in it is colder than I've ever been in NYC.
    b, 21
    b, 21Out here it is mandated by law that the buildings gotta turn on the heat under a certain temperature. You can call the city and report a mofo. But most of these old buildings have half-century old radiators that have no temp control so it's quite regular to have the window open in 20 degree weather!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21JP, there should be a valve on the side of these old-ass radiators that you can turn to adjust the amount of hot water flowing into it. My joints are from 1920's and have this.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    You sound like you need to cop a Snuggie.

• Yeah I know, but it's not like it controls the temp - it's pretty crude on/off action.b, 21b, 21When it's on, it's on BLAST.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21The coldest I've EVER been is inside older buildings in SF. When I'm out at my cutty's house on Geneva Ave and that fog rolls in it is colder than I've ever been in NYC.
    b, 21
    b, 21Out here it is mandated by law that the buildings gotta turn on the heat under a certain temperature. You can call the city and report a mofo. But most of these old buildings have half-century old radiators that have no temp control so it's quite regular to have the window open in 20 degree weather!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21JP, there should be a valve on the side of these old-ass radiators that you can turn to adjust the amount of hot water flowing into it. My joints are from 1920's and have this.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Those valves are almost always impossible to turn. Sometimes from being painted over 300 times or from rust. You can replace them with these new individual thermostat dials that work great, but unless you own the place and have some basic plumbing tools and knowledge it probably isn't worth your time.

• i'm sure people on the west coast never had those days in school where you got let off early cause the boiler broke in winter.. those were great.

• Options
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21You sound like you need to cop a Snuggie.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Haha not me bro, my house is like Grenada I pump the heat so heavy in here. I'd be comfortable in a figleaf. Batmon might like a snuggie though, he's bean leaning towards some real foofie shit lately.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Ah! Memories of NYC winters. My old apartment had the pressure steam radiators... freezing cold one minute, like a sauna the next. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hi.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21Now I live in Miami its a whole 'nother story. My girl (who's native to MIami) complains if it hits 60. We both agree there's no way she could ever live north of the FL border.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21Out here it is mandated by law that the buildings gotta turn on the heat under a certain temperature. You can call the city and report a mofo.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21here in Toronto, too. Actually I think here it's a certain temp by a certain date.b, 21b, 21And best believe I've become that mofo since I bought the house. I'm not even a parent and I've turned into that "put on some socks and a damn sweater if you're cold" Mom. Some vents are blocked in the areas we don't really use, but I'm not trying to heat a whole house when we're sitting one room. We had folks over recently on a chilly night and Man asked about the heat and real casual without thinking I said "well it's at the legal limit" and you know I'm NEVER gonna live that shit down now. b, 21b, 21What? Put on a sweater!

• when I lived on 16th St in SF we lived in an old building with no insulation and no heater. I could see my breath in my room. It was really f*cking cold. The sun would help, but it was COLD. b, 21b, 21here's a tip for all the non heater having people...b, 21b, 21run some hot water in the bath tub and stand in it, just your feet, for a few minutes. It will warm you up and will make you more comfortable if your sheets feel cold. Also, flannel sheets. They don't really get that cold feeling.

• I have no heat... this winter has been kinda rough so far. This is LA though... so its not too bad.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    My room can get pretty cold when we get to those 0?? nights here in Boston,b, 21but ever since I had my windows replaced 2 years ago, the difference is sob, 21amazing that I can't really bitch. BEFORE having my windows replaced, I spentb, 21many a night sleeping in a sweater and hooded sweatshirt and jeans and wool b, 21socks, covers over my head, able to see my breath like a cloud of smoke inb, 21my bedroom. Anything over 40?? seems like a dream after those long long nights.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Damnably cold in London this morning at 5 am. Scraping that ice off the whip.b, 21b, 21It was cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkeyb, 21b, 21 img src="http://www.b17.com/hayes/brass02.jpg"1 b, 21b, 21Luckily we had the foresight to install underfloor heating through kitchen, bathroom and conservatory last year. That shit is gooood.

• Illinois is cold as shit right now but my room isn't too drafty. House is set at a nice 65 degrees. But ol girl just made me a Twins blanket and that shit is warm as F*ck. And I can rep the home town all night.