dumpster diving

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    In the early 90's I drove past an unidentified building and saw a 45 laying in the parking lot....I pulled over and followed a trail of 45's to the dumpster... the dumpster was FILLED with records and CD's......wound up it was a WEA distribution center and these were all the discs that had been sent out as promos and returned as undeliverable.b, 21b, 21I hit this place every Friday and literally filled my car with posters, vinyl and CD's that I would then trade to the local stores....I even gave out CD's one year for Halloween. I did this for 2 years until they moved to a new location. The week they moved I filled my car 5 times with stuff....Promo only interview discs....Metallica on glow in the dark vinyl....a tube of 50 "pulled" Prince posters which I got $20 a piece for.b, 21b, 21Once I found out where they had moved to I continued to hit them up for another year or so until they moved out of Dallas. One night when I pulled up there was a pick-up truck parked there and I thought that I had competition....wound up the guy was looking for wooden pallets....told me he got $3.00 a piece for them. Here this guy is busting his ass for every three bucks and I'm pulling literally thousands of dollars worth of music out of there every month.b, 21b, 21Once there was a half eaten sandwich in the dumpster...I left it there.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Yup, college campuses are a goldmine for used goods around May/June.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21a friend of mine pulls out the goods and has a garage sale with it. puts everything back that doesnt sell.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I have been homeless in three foreign countries. Real homeless: sleeping rough, dumpster diving, f*cking homeless.b, 21b, 21I ate from restaurant dumpsters until i hustled enough money together to get back on my feet. Took about 9 months in total.b, 21b, 21Aint no shame in my game.b, 21b, 21Your world can come crashing down in the blink of an eye and you do what you gotta do to get back up again.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21While I appreciate their idealism, this is not something I would ever personally consider even if I was in the most dire of situations.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21hahahaa. you f*ckin little princess.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Dude, if you were in a dire enough situation, you would be scraping jelly off the sidewalk.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Bizzo On The Skids:
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21MILK WAS A BAD CHOICE!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21Have you seen my hands? Baby Soft, it wouldn't work.b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/suspect5es.gif" alt="" /1 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/game02vy9.gif" alt="" /1

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21In the early 90's I drove past an unidentified building and saw a 45 laying in the parking lot....I pulled over and followed a trail of 45's to the dumpster... the dumpster was FILLED with records and CD's......wound up it was a WEA distribution center and these were all the discs that had been sent out as promos and returned as undeliverable.
    b, 21
    b, 21I hit this place every Friday and literally filled my car with posters, vinyl and CD's that I would then trade to the local stores....I even gave out CD's one year for Halloween. I did this for 2 years until they moved to a new location. The week they moved I filled my car 5 times with stuff....Promo only interview discs....Metallica on glow in the dark vinyl....a tube of 50 "pulled" Prince posters which I got $20 a piece for.
    b, 21
    b, 21Once I found out where they had moved to I continued to hit them up for another year or so until they moved out of Dallas. One night when I pulled up there was a pick-up truck parked there and I thought that I had competition....wound up the guy was looking for wooden pallets....told me he got $3.00 a piece for them. Here this guy is busting his ass for every three bucks and I'm pulling literally thousands of dollars worth of music out of there every month.
    b, 21
    b, 21Once there was a half eaten sandwich in the dumpster...I left it there.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21sounds like this trailer i found behind a sears when I was a kid??? they had TV???s in it, radio???s, all kinds of stuff... for free!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21In the early 90's I drove past an unidentified building and saw a 45 laying in the parking lot....I pulled over and followed a trail of 45's to the dumpster... the dumpster was FILLED with records and CD's......wound up it was a WEA distribution center and these were all the discs that had been sent out as promos and returned as undeliverable.
    b, 21
    b, 21I hit this place every Friday and literally filled my car with posters, vinyl and CD's that I would then trade to the local stores....I even gave out CD's one year for Halloween. I did this for 2 years until they moved to a new location. The week they moved I filled my car 5 times with stuff....Promo only interview discs....Metallica on glow in the dark vinyl....a tube of 50 "pulled" Prince posters which I got $20 a piece for.
    b, 21
    b, 21Once I found out where they had moved to I continued to hit them up for another year or so until they moved out of Dallas. One night when I pulled up there was a pick-up truck parked there and I thought that I had competition....wound up the guy was looking for wooden pallets....told me he got $3.00 a piece for them. Here this guy is busting his ass for every three bucks and I'm pulling literally thousands of dollars worth of music out of there every month.
    b, 21
    b, 21Once there was a half eaten sandwich in the dumpster...I left it there.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21^^^Amazing story, quoted for posteriourb, 21b, 21thanks for sharing R, that is some humbling amazing stuffb, 21my how times have changed!

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21at the supermarkets here they spray chemicals that biodegrade the food in their dumpsters so that the bums cant eat from them
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21haha that's some straight eddie haskell shit. 2nd grade recess stories. what a bunch of bullshit.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    when i was growing up we had a bagel shop that would throw out clear garbage bags with ALL the leftover bagels in the dumpster each night. b, 21b, 21we used to skate in the parking lot there so when we saw them do that we would run on over and eat perfectly fresh bagels out of the dumpster. we would even bring some home and eat them for a week. sometimes freezing them.b, 21b, 21one time the owner saw us taking the bag of bagels. from then on he would douse all the inside of the bag with drain cleaner and detergent!b, 21b, 21i mean you are throwing the shit out!!!!!?!?!?

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I have been homeless in three foreign countries. Real homeless: sleeping rough, dumpster diving, f*cking homeless.
    b, 21
    b, 21I ate from restaurant dumpsters until i hustled enough money together to get back on my feet. Took about 9 months in total.
    b, 21
    b, 21Aint no shame in my game.
    b, 21
    b, 21Your world can come crashing down in the blink of an eye and you do what you gotta do to get back up again.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21^^^thank you for sharing. now that is what I am talking about^^^

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21Consummables being donated to community kitchens, shelters, food banks BEFORE it gets thrown in the trash is what needs to happen.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21amen, I know a lot of supermarkets (kroger/safeway for example) and some restaurants/bakeries do a good job of of making sure they donate...a lot of gourmet "day old" food does end up in charitable orgs hands, but I think it should be a law or something in this country, serious
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I worked at Whole Foods and when I questioned about this I was told that there are insurance liabilities that made donating food risky. Mad doo doo.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    One more dumpster diving story.....b, 21b, 21When I was a teen there was a Shell station down the street from where I lived... back in the day Gas Stations would run a lot of contests and games....one time Shell had one with coins of every President and if you got certain ones you could win $$ from $1.00 to $500.00b, 21b, 21One Friday night we were out wandering the streets drinking and we looked in the Shell dumpster and there were 100's of these coins.....we dug them out, brought them home, and sure as shit we had like 5 winners for close to $100.b, 21b, 21So we started to hit it pretty regular and figured out that after someone turned in a winning coin, they would just throw them out.....we probably made like $300 between 5 of us over the course of a month.

• In MOntreal there was a store called MARS. It was the most disgustingly dank record store in the city, with literally hundreds of thousands of records. You could find crazy heat in there but you had to dig hard. In about 2005, they were near the end. The heat was dwindling, the owners were losing their shit, and creditors were banging down the door. They even tried to eBay the store for something ridiculous in the area of 100K. They ended up getting locked out, and the landlord contracted workers to overhaul the space. This took a few months, given the vastness of crap. Needless to say, there was some insane heat buried among the wreckage. Boxes of store stock late 60s JA reggae that hadn't seen the light of day for decades. Double copies of some of that stuff. Some nice soul 45s (Alice Clark on WB). All of this was being thrown into a dumpster right out the back alley.

did you forget we spent like 2 days down there when I visited Montreal? damn that was like 2003/2004 or something

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21 Needless to say, there was some insane heat buried among the wreckage. Boxes of store stock late 60s JA reggae that hadn't seen the light of day for decades. Double copies of some of that stuff. Some nice soul 45s (Alice Clark on WB). All of this was being thrown into a dumpster right out the back alley.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21^^Damn, I knew I missed something!!! Walked outta there with some nice psych and prog thob, 21b, 21RAJ has that infamous pic of his hands being all molded over black from digging there too

• "no one wants to eat the stumps of your muffins"

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21what about those dudes who sell food at flea markets?
    b, 21i found one at the LA swaps who had mad wholefoods stuff. terra chips and kashi cereals and shit for a dollar.
    b, 21i was definitely f*cking with that
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21yup, there are dudes who have developed straight up SUCCESSFUL businesses off of supermarket expired food
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21in NYC we call them bodegas

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Manhattan is great for this. Every tuesday (I think) my boy and his wife would drive around the U.E.S. neighborhoods and score amazing designer furniture. His apartment looked like a design museum.

• Don't knock dumpster diving until you try it.b, 21Avoid meats, eat fruits and veggies that aren't rotten and yer all good. Salute the dumpster divers and their morally superior lifestyle capitalist swine!

• who rides for the other dumpster diving...? retrieving personal information about ppl/companies for fraud purposes img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/suspect5es.gif" alt="" /1

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21 Needless to say, there was some insane heat buried among the wreckage. Boxes of store stock late 60s JA reggae that hadn't seen the light of day for decades. Double copies of some of that stuff. Some nice soul 45s (Alice Clark on WB). All of this was being thrown into a dumpster right out the back alley.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21^^Damn, I knew I missed something!!! Walked outta there with some nice psych and prog tho
    b, 21
    b, 21RAJ has that infamous pic of his hands being all molded over black from digging there too
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21MARSb, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="http://farm1.static.flickr.com/83/216965651_de4973485b.jpg"1 b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="http://farm1.static.flickr.com/67/216965646_545472d144.jpg"1 b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="http://farm1.static.flickr.com/83/216965643_bee7fcef24.jpg"1

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    This is a beautiful documentary with some great historical perspective for the dumpster-curious and haters alike:b, 21b, 21img src="http://wrt.syr.edu:16080/twwf/gleanersandi/gleaners.jpg"1

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21what about those dudes who sell food at flea markets?
    b, 21i found one at the LA swaps who had mad wholefoods stuff. terra chips and kashi cereals and shit for a dollar.
    b, 21i was definitely f*cking with that
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21yup, there are dudes who have developed straight up SUCCESSFUL businesses off of supermarket expired food
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21in NYC we call them bodegas
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/funnypost.gif" alt="" /1b, 21b, 21I've been replating for years. Never knew somebody developed a term for it. I generally prefer actually handing the food to a person, but replating is the next best thing, I guess.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    HYGIENE, HYGIENE, HYGIENE is major factor for me in not consdering eating consumables from dumpsters.

• this was a great day at a dumpster in ottawa a few years back... i think about 700 lpsb, 21b, 21a href="http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa309/rolandroberts/?action=view&current=Photo6-1.jpg" target="_blank"1img src="http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa309/rolandroberts/Photo6-1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"1/a1b, 21b, 21never woulda been if not for a friend who was going for that reduced food. she made the discovery during a routine visit to a health food store dumpster (happened to be shared by a sound production company)

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    dumpster diving is fun. in iowa city id get bagels all the time behind breuggers. i'm more about trash day though in neighborhoods. so much free electronics, furniture..once a box of records but it was mostly trash...

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21never woulda been if not for a friend who was going for that reduced food. she made the discovery during a routine visit to a health food store dumpster (happened to be shared by a sound production company)
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21for a second there i thought that was a shopping cart

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21this was a great day at a dumpster in ottawa a few years back... i think about 700 lps
    b, 21
    b, 21
    Photobucket/a1b, 21b, 21never woulda been if not for a friend who was going for that reduced food. she made the discovery during a routine visit to a health food store dumpster (happened to be shared by a sound production company) b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21lucky!b, 21b, 21I wonder which haul was better, yours or fishermongerfunk's CL library haul

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21quite a subculture
    b, 21
    b, 21 his girlfriend (who is a cool, attractive, chess master and librarian)
    b, 21
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/raw.gif" alt="" 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21i'm afraid i am going to have to axe for pics, fishing or non fishing will be fine

• I'll be honest. I am not f*cking with dumpster diving for food. Not knocking others. I just can't do it. b, 21b, 21I've had a few record related dumpster scores. b, 21b, 21In college I lived in a shitty apartment building with about 8 units in it. My roommate said "there's a bunch of records in the garage." I got excited and went to look. I saw some records piled up against the wall near the dumpster. It was all promo stuff, probably WEA related. I don't remember. I ended up looking in the dumpster and saw tons more boxes. I found out that the guys across the way were street team or some shit and they were not passing anything out. It all went in the dumpster. I took all of it inside and went through it. This was 1998, so most of it was turds I didn't really care about, like 5 copies of DJ Rap on vinyl. I took them down to Rasputin's and made several hundred dollars. The guys ended up dumping stuff a few times, including one time when they tossed an entire carton of cds from some rock band and I ended up getting $5 a cd at Rasputin's.b, 21b, 21I also found stacks of records piled up against a wall in SF on 19th st. I thought some guys were selling them, but it turns out they just happened to be standing there. They walked off and I realized they were all mine for free. I took all that I could carry. I came back with a granny cart and wheeled off some more. On that second trip I realized the dumpster had all kinds of shit in it. A recording studio was either closing or cleaning shop and they tossed all the records and an entire dumpster full of reel to reel tapes. I filled a cart full of tapes, including some local rock/funk band that listed Dan The Automator as producer. It was some non famous group. I ended up selling the reels to some guy. I wish I had taken more.

• yea, i would'nt eat shit from a grocery store dumpster......i ain't knocking the hustle, but something about it.. not for me.....witnissed a bum max a watermelon that had to have been baking in that 100+ degree dumpster for a few days...thats inhumane.......anyway....i used to go behind the jays potato chips factory and load the F*ck up....them shits were still in cases....just 1 day past the expiration date...jalapeno and bbq cases for days.b, 21b, 21back in the day (age 16)... we used to blaze down (obviously)....hit the local grocery dumpsters and load the trunk up with cases of expired fruit and veggies. drive around whipping whatever we got at oncoming cars, people at the bus stop, peoples cribs, people on bikes, parked cars. shit was fun as hell. we called it fruiting. the worst was in the dead of the winter, hucking frozen cantelopes(sp?) at shit. i kinda feel bad now though. we would end up shattering windows, and making people eat shit off their bikes on busy streets. thank you jewel, dominicks, and eagle for the great times.