dumpster diving

tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
quite a subcultureb, 21b, 21a friend of mine and his girlfriend (who is a cool, attractive, chess master and librarian) pretty much get all their food from their dumpstering expeditions to trader joes, wholefoods and such. they even hit up petco for their cats and dogs.b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/raw.gif" alt="" /1

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    yeah manb, 21b, 21i mean ill eat anything but i am not exacty throwing myself at these dumpster comeupsb, 21b, 21we had a friend who crashed for a weeks and she was bring in the free muffins and fruits however most stores here in MTL have locks on their dumpstersb, 21b, 21i am sure, as a subculture they have a grading system and find threads just like us

• This is going to be another one of those threads where we get a page of appreciation, and then a page of hate.b, 21b, 21I'm all for dumpstering. You get lots of free shit, save loads of money, and use resources that were otherwise going to be wasted.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21I'm all for dumpstering. You get lots of free shit, save loads of money, and use resources that were otherwise going to be wasted.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21Amen. I've thrown away my share of records but I realized people will just pick them up if you leave them out near the dumpsters/trash cans. Works like a charm, every time, no matter how bad the chud is.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21quite a subculture
    b, 21
    b, 21a friend of mine and his girlfriend (who is a cool, attractive, chess master and librarian) pretty much get all their food from their dumpstering expeditions to trader joes, wholefoods and such. they even hit up petco for their cats and dogs.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/raw.gif" alt="" /1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21While I appreciate their idealism, this is not something I would ever personally consider even if I was in the most dire of situations.b, 21b, 21b, 21More power to them though.

I do think a lot of people forget there are perfectly good things like day old bread that are still edible and fine. b, 21b, 21I think if anyone of us ended up homeless (heaven forbid), dumpster diving would eventually just become a way of life. That or just straight begging. I envision a lot of clever cardboard and sharpie signs with gramelins would be developed, lulz. b, 21b, 21Most restaurants recycle the bread that isn't consumed when they offer it to you and you haven't touched it. Yup. b, 21b, 21Oh and there exists a huge trend as of late for people to steal recyclables out of the recycling trash cans and take them to resale. I've seen a lot of well meaning old people do it and I even saw a hipsterish couple walking their dog doing this near my office. Sign of the times.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21i am sure, as a subculture they have a grading system and find threads just like us
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21VG++ half peeled banana, doo doo brown, banana bread ready...b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bucs.gif" alt="" /1

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21quite a subculture
    b, 21
    b, 21a friend of mine and his girlfriend (who is a cool, attractive, chess master and librarian) pretty much get all their food from their dumpstering expeditions to trader joes, wholefoods and such. they even hit up petco for their cats and dogs.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21FREE-GANSb, 21there is so much waste that it's atrocious and folks like this aren't to be dismissed as mad max style loonies but I draw the line at food products.... salvage is a business with a lot of unknowns.... as far as furntiure, art, records etc, i have come UPPPPP in the trash. I even got some beautiful tools once, a really nice old hammer and awl set with wooden handles.b, 21why is the attractive girlfriend description part relevant? i guess maybe you are trying to say that these people are doing this dumpster diving yet they aren't crusty anti-establishment unsavory folks who are gross looking and don't wash? probably. got you.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Oh and there exists a huge trend as of late for people to steal recyclables out of the recycling trash cans and take them to resale.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Yep. There's at least 2-3 homeless people who rifle through my apartment's recycle bin every morning like clockwork to grab the goodies. My next-door neighbors even requested that I give them all my bottles & cans so they can do the same.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21quite a subculture
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21While I appreciate their idealism, this is not something I would ever personally consider even if I was in the most dire of situations.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21More power to them though.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21Consummables out of a dumpster, not for me.b, 21b, 21Consummables being donated to community kitchens, shelters, food banks BEFORE it gets thrown in the trash is what needs to happen.b, 21b, 21What people do on their own is also none of my business so if you like to dumpster dive for food, go for it. But if people want me to believe this makes them a 'hero', or 'saving the earth', or some shit, that gets the big WHATEVER from me. Saving money, sure, but it's food that has been in a dumpster.b, 21b, 21If I were your friends, I would def keep the source of the food to myself. Just sayin'. I am sure they are nice folks.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21Consummables being donated to community kitchens, shelters, food banks BEFORE it gets thrown in the trash is what needs to happen.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21amen, I know a lot of supermarkets (kroger/safeway for example) and some restaurants/bakeries do a good job of of making sure they donate...a lot of gourmet "day old" food does end up in charitable orgs hands, but I think it should be a law or something in this country, serious

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21why is the attractive girlfriend description part relevant? i guess maybe you are trying to say that these people are doing this dumpster diving yet they aren't crusty anti-establishment unsavory folks who are gross looking and don't wash? probably. got you.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21exsactlyb, 21b, 21latency: i dont even equate begging with dumpstering. begging is some bottom of the barrel shit (see: big 3 in DC). dumpstering is resourceful.b, 21b, 21i live around penn campus and every may everybody keeps their eyes on the trash to see what the silverspoons throw out. printers, computers, coaches, knife sets, futon frames, toasters, blenders, dvds...and theres always crusty old dudes with shopping carts who pick up dozens of half drunk liquor bottles. shit is real fun.b, 21b, 21food is next level. i was at my aforementoned friends yesterday and saw some of te stuff he got. pies, dips, loaves of bread, chocolate truffles!, pizzas, dried fruit, fruit. for the most part, expiration dates were that day or the next and prduce and boxes might have had a bruise on em. he had what looked like three hundred dollars worth of groceries! (i ate a truffle)b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohmyer1.gif" alt="" /1

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21If I were your friends, I would def keep the source of the food to myself. Just sayin'. I am sure they are nice folks.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21LOL. word. they werent advertising. i was ther when they were putting stuff away. didnt seem too strange after i heard more.b, 21b, 21no one said anything about superheoes though. dont know whee you caught that

• object width="512" height="296"1param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/n5YY2rA0V5agY2y0pU3DnA"1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/n5YY2rA0V5agY2y0pU3DnA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"1/embed1/object1

Yup, college campuses are a goldmine for used goods around May/June.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21While I appreciate their idealism, this is not something I would ever personally consider even if I was in the most dire of situations.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21hahahaa. you f*ckin little princess.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21If I were your friends, I would def keep the source of the food to myself. Just sayin'. I am sure they are nice folks.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21LOL. word. they werent advertising. i was ther when they were putting stuff away. didnt seem too strange after i heard more.
    b, 21
    b, 21no one said anything about superheoes though. dont know whee you caught that
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I really didn't get that from your post, more the Free-gan stuff I have been hearing/reading about occasionally(as someone else mentioned). You always get these types of folks who think they invented being cheap and that by getting shit out of a dumpster they are going above and beyond and sacrificing in a way that the rest of us energy-guzzling, new food buying normals couldn't possibly imagine. Sorry if I implied your friends are this way at all, don't know 'em so I can't say.b, 21b, 21 Me, I love finding shit I can use in a dumpster/on the street, as long as it's not something I put in my mouth. Just makes me a cheap bastard to likes junk.

• the schitt that makes the most sense for me to help aide the less fortunate, is "replating." peep that..

• what about those dudes who sell food at flea markets?b, 21i found one at the LA swaps who had mad wholefoods stuff. terra chips and kashi cereals and shit for a dollar.b, 21i was definitely f*cking with that

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21hahahaa. you f*ckin little princess.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Dude, if you were in a dire enough situation, you would be scraping jelly off the sidewalk.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21what about those dudes who sell food at flea markets?
    b, 21i found one at the LA swaps who had mad wholefoods stuff. terra chips and kashi cereals and shit for a dollar.
    b, 21i was definitely f*cking with that
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21yup, there are dudes who have developed straight up SUCCESSFUL businesses off of supermarket expired foodb, 21b, 21project greencr8 needs to learn from the food resale hustle industryb, 21b, 21sayin

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21hahahaa. you f*ckin little princess.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Dude, if you were in a dire enough situation, you would be scraping jelly off the sidewalk.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Bizzo On The Skids:b, 21b, 21img src="http://www.reelmovienews.com/images/gallery/ron-burgundy-picture_311x272.jpg"1b, 21b, 21MILK WAS A BAD CHOICE!

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21what about those dudes who sell food at flea markets?
    b, 21i found one at the LA swaps who had mad wholefoods stuff. terra chips and kashi cereals and shit for a dollar.
    b, 21i was definitely f*cking with that
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21those dudes are what's up!!! i came up on 3 cases of jumex for $10 at a flea onetime. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hard2.gif" alt="" /1 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yaoming.gif" alt="" /1

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21Bizzo On The Skids:
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21MILK WAS A BAD CHOICE!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21STR8 LULZ!!!!!

• at the supermarkets here they spray chemicals that biodegrade the food in their dumpsters so that the bums cant eat from them

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21that's ill
    b, 21
    b, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I think I did that for almost every meal I ate out in Chicago. here in ABQ not quite the same.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21at the supermarkets here they spray chemicals that biodegrade the food in their dumpsters so that the bums cant eat from them
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21NOT COOL

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21that's ill
    b, 21
    b, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21I think I did that for almost every meal I ate out in Chicago. here in ABQ not quite the same.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21are you saying the portions are way bigger or not as tasty in Chitown?

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21at the supermarkets here they spray chemicals that biodegrade the food in their dumpsters so that the bums cant eat from them
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21now thats just wrong. i heard of places spraying rat poison on shit too

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21NOT COOL
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21my initial thought....but then i considered their point of view. b, 21they cant have a certified bum hang out behind their store. bad for business.b, 21still img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nagl2.gif" alt="" /1