Best Kung Fu Fight Scene?

2»

Comments

• the most agile big boy ever.b, 21b, 21object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    That Sammo clip reminded me of SPL, including this great scene b/t Donnie Yen and Jing Wu:b, 21b, 21object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Here's a clip made for soulstrut. This one features Sammo Hung doing a Bruce Lee imitation & Lee Hoi San in blackface & a afro wig. The title of the film is "Enter The Fat Dragon". Sample spotters might catch a snippit from a Soulman song.b, 21b, 21object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1

• Does anyone know of a 70's one where the bloke is rucking with a vampire in lots of bright makeup? Its one of the ads. on my old Burning Paradise video which I have somewhere...b, 21b, 21great thread this although I don't really go for the stuff after the mid 80's

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21This thread is about to jump off.
    b, 21
    b, 21I cant outdo those above, but ill contribute....
    b, 21
    b, 21
    object width="425" height="344"1
    param name="movie" value=""1
    /param1
    param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1
    /param1
    param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1
    /param1
    embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1
    /embed1
    /object1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Gun Fu. Buried.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21I haven't seen this and was planning on checking for it, but I think I'll pass now. I'm all for suspension of disbelief but not one of those guards could tag him? Come on. Plus the Matrix bite is so glaring as to be distracting and annoying. b, 21b, 21At least they acknowledged that guns run out of bullets and need to be reloaded, unlike some other action directors who favor the "bottomless clip" technique.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Does anyone know of a 70's one where the bloke is rucking with a vampire in lots of bright makeup?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21Dreadnaught? The Kiss-looking antagonist is at 4:18.b, 21object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1b, 21b, 21My favorite new school end-level fight scene:b, 21Donnie Yen vs. Collin Chou, Flash Point. b, 21object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1

• nah that's not the one. I'll find it tonight to find out what it's called

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    There's a quite few that would fit the bill, like Encounters Of The Spooky Kind, Mr. Vampire, etc...If it was a trailer on Burning Paradise, then it would be a relatively recent film, so I guess Shaw stuff would be out of the picture.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I just finished watching Tom Yum Goong (The Protector), and this fight scene, blew my mind...
    b, 21
    b, 21
    object width="425" height="344"1
    param name="movie" value=""1
    /param1
    param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1
    /param1
    param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1
    /param1
    embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1
    /embed1
    /object1
    b, 21
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" /1
    b, 21
    b, 21STRUTT FAVES? i know there are some afficionados on here!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21It's not bad, this is my kind of action in that it attempts to be real, but I'm not convinced. Hoards of people running in but one or maybe two attack, waiting there in turn. He would be attacked from all angles. Some of the moves I'm not totally sold on, but it is good, don't get me wrong. But look how Bruce does it in the Fist or Fury clip someone here has posted, they swarm him in that dojo. Like I say its ok though, it's the fantasy crouching tiger shit I can't get into. Crouching Tiger is a good film but why show fighting that means nothing and is based on fantasy. I grew up on Bruce Lee films, and to a far lesser extent Jackie chan. Bruce Lee was on a mission to cut out all that fantasy bollocks and no one has come close. Look at Enter the dragon, how good is that film, and with a dope Lalo soundtrack...b, 21b, 21Frankb, 21b, 21a href="http://www.proteusgraphicdesign.com" target="_blank"1www.proteusgraphicdesign.com/a1

In all fairness, it's not like "Enter the Dragon" was big on "reality". I mean, Big Bad had a claw, a'ight? b, 21b, 21Don't get me wrong - I grew up on Bruce Lee too and love the dude and his films but someone like Jaa is actually much closer to Lee's style of fighting - and filmmaking - than all that crazy Tsui Hark wire-fu shit that jumped off in the '90s. b, 21b, 21Going back earlier in the thread: Donnie Yen is the MFin' man. It's a shame he hasn't found much work in American films (and no, "Blade 2" doesn't count).

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    The Bruce Lee movie that had the greatest impact on me was Fist Of Fury. I couldn't believe a man could move that fast. Honestly, the only thing I remember about Enter The Dragon is that Angela Mao is in it for a minute. I'm sure there were some good fights, but nothing sticks out in my mind right now. There was nothing in it that blew me away like that Dojo scene in F.O.F. Jaa's stuff freaks me out. Ong Bak looked PAINFUL. I'm sure bones were broken in the filming of that. I haven't gone that deep into Thai action films, but that Panna dude must have some crazy movies. Chocolate looked brutal, too. Big Chan needs to chime in on this thread. He's the true sifu of KF Films.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21There's a quite few that would fit the bill, like Encounters Of The Spooky Kind, Mr. Vampire, etc...If it was a trailer on Burning Paradise, then it would be a relatively recent film, so I guess Shaw stuff would be out of the picture.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I found it. It's Buddhist Fist I thought it was Buddhist something. The vampire isn't done up quite as I remember so must be thinking of something else. Still it has the "first ever disclosure of the Vampire Claw" img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hard2.gif" alt="" /1b, 21b, 21/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Like I say its ok though, it's the fantasy crouching tiger shit I can't get into. Crouching Tiger is a good film but why show fighting that means nothing and is based on fantasy.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I hate Crouching Tiger, house of flying daggers and all these other big budget polished craps that come out these days. I like the raw 70's ishb, 21b, 21This was quite good for 4 quid from Amazon but I dunno if you can get it in America:b, 21b, 21img src="http://i2.tinypic.com/4pwjxj5.jpg"1

• object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bbb.gif" alt="" /1b, 21this is a fight scene in its entirity from game of death. bruce lee against Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. it is too bad bruce passed away before this movie was completed, as it is a completely different movie in a lot of ways.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Man, picking a fav fight scene would almost be impossible for me. I always forget most of anything I've ever really liked.b, 21b, 21But last week I watched a bunch of films and a few had some good fights.b, 21b, 21Mad Monkey Kung Fu, My Young Auntie, Legendary Weapons of China...b, 21b, 21b, 21And a few nights ago I watched Police Story and I will always rep the Mall fight scene til the day I die.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21I hate Crouching Tiger, house of flying daggers and all these other big budget polished craps that come out these days. I like the raw 70's ish
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I can't cosign on this logic. THey're all "polished" in their own way. You can see in those classic Run Run Shaw flicks a high level of very obvious choreography that isn't terribly fluid (by today's standards) even though they're still impressive in their own right. b, 21b, 21To me, wire-fu abused is lame to watch (i.e. people flying) but when it's more or less invisible, I think it can enhance good action scenes. b, 21b, 21My point being, each era has its own shortcomings and advantages but the '70s shit wasn't really "raw" - we're talking about period flicks with costumes and built sets and tons of careful choreography. It's not like some straight up street fighting.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Well, Crouching Tiger is representative of a specific sub-genre of martial arts films called Wuxia. Films of that style have a great & long history in Asia & are not really specific to a particular era or decade & they wouldn't feature the same kind of fighting you'd see in a basher or shapes film. Here's a wiki article about wuxia films that has some good suggestions for further watching:b, 21b, 21http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuxia#Films/a1b, 21b, 21There are guys here who are way more up on this schitt than I am & could explain all this way better.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    All I know is that in "Mafia Vs Ninja" the ninja are disguised as 6" mounds of grass cuttings that move across the lawn in stop-frame animation before turning back into ninja in a puff of smoke. YES.b, 21b, 21None of this alter-your-personality-with-a-handsign bollocks.