Common: universal mind control

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I have some blind faith that even the one Young P cannot ride for this album. b, 21b, 21And message to YP: don't try to come at me with the "jeez, what's wrong with a fun hip-hop album?" b, 21b, 21I like ze party steez. I got no problem with "fun" hip-hop. b, 21b, 21BUT THIS ALBUM SUCKS IN TERMS OF, YOU KNOW, MUSIC.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I'm a little embarassed for the boy Young P right nowb, 21b, 21Such a bad look

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21he always has been.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I've tried to get into Common since he first came out. Squeaky "Can I Borrow A $" phase, mid-90s No ID rapperrap phase, Soulquarian Nag Champa phase, grown man Kanye phase and now this. Seen him live twice and both were great shows, but I just can't get into his records. I like a good handful of songs from his discography, but that's mostly due to the beats. Something about his voice, flow and personality has just always annoyed the hell out of me. My wife loves him, but I just can not deal.

• I'm upping my guaranteed preemptive 8.5 and giving it a 10. This is now a certified classique I can tell just by hearing the single. b, 21b, 21I don't know if this is our generations chronic or illmatic

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21he always has been.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21I've tried to get into Common since he first came out. Squeaky "Can I Borrow A $" phase, mid-90s No ID rapperrap phase, Soulquarian Nag Champa phase, grown man Kanye phase and now this. Seen him live twice and both were great shows, but I just can't get into his records. I like a good handful of songs from his discography, but that's mostly due to the beats. Something about his voice, flow and personality has just always annoyed the hell out of me. My wife loves him, but I just can not deal.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I'm obviously joking in this thread. But are YOU serious? His second album genuinely is a masterpiece.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I think it's alright. Nothing could be worse than that Electric Circus nonsense.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21LOLb, 21b, 21Electric Circus is a beautiful record!!!!!

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I think it's alright. Nothing could be worse than that Electric Circus nonsense.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21LOL
    b, 21
    b, 21Electric Circus is a beautiful record!!!!!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21is there a picture disk I'm unaware of?

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21LOL
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21is there a picture disk I'm unaware of?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Uh... lol

• Quotes for days in this microsoft - common - clothes - commercialb, 21b, 21 a href="http://www.microsoft.com/windows/softwearbymicrosoft/" target="_blank"1Stay True/a1

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Quotes for days in this microsoft - common - clothes - commercial
    b, 21
    b, 21
    /a1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21"If Common is gonna mess with it....it's gonna be fresh"b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/walkawaysonfinal.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/WHYMUSTICRY.gif" alt="" 21 b, 21b, 21img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/the_mack.gif" alt="" 21 b, 21b, 21img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crick13ab.gif" alt="" 21

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21he always has been.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21I've tried to get into Common since he first came out. Squeaky "Can I Borrow A $" phase, mid-90s No ID rapperrap phase, Soulquarian Nag Champa phase, grown man Kanye phase and now this. Seen him live twice and both were great shows, but I just can't get into his records. I like a good handful of songs from his discography, but that's mostly due to the beats. Something about his voice, flow and personality has just always annoyed the hell out of me. My wife loves him, but I just can not deal.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21I'm obviously joking in this thread. But are YOU serious? His second album genuinely is a masterpiece.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Masterpiece? No. Better-than-average 1990's hiphop album? Yes.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21LOL
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21is there a picture disk I'm unaware of?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21"Soul Power" & "I Am Music"b, 21b, 21are the jammies

• the irony of a board that goes through 3 pages of musicological analysis of 'Pop Champagne' and then dismisses this album outright is not lost on me. b, 21b, 21the title track is the only one I've heard so I can't speak on the rest of the LP, but the beat is cool and people like it when I play it out.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    /a1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21That is just plain terrible.b, 21b, 21A blatant example of a multinational trying to appeal to the youth market by throwing money at a celebrity that market identifies with. Shit, it isnt even trying to hide what it is doing... b, 21b, 21Common waxing philosphical about hawking microsoft clothing is ass-clenchingly terrible. the links he attempts to create in order to justify the whole sordid ordeal are f*cking pathetic.b, 21b, 21I have nothing to say on his new material, i have not heard it. I liked the last couple albums, i like the guys voice, i think he is a talented artist but this microsoft infomercial is f*cking abysmal. b, 21b, 21Damn.b, 21b, 21Bill Hicks would have a field day with this.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I'm obviously joking in this thread. But are YOU serious? His second album genuinely is a masterpiece.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I acknowledge its qualities and classic status among a lot of fans. I just can't feel the dude img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pasue23is.gif" alt="" 21. And it's mostly because of his voice/flow. It's like how some people don't like, say, The Beastie Boys or Jay-Z because of that. No deep analysis, it just doesn't appeal to me. Then add his image/personality to the equation and it's a wrap for me.b, 21b, 21I do have a couple of Common-related 12"s that I like (i.e. "The Sun God"), my significant other makes sure the albums get steady play at home, but in general his music leaves me indifferent. Wifey rapp.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    /a1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21That is just plain terrible.
    b, 21
    b, 21A blatant example of a multinational trying to appeal to the youth market by throwing money at a celebrity that market identifies with. Shit, it isnt even trying to hide what it is doing...
    b, 21
    b, 21Common waxing philosphical about hawking microsoft clothing is ass-clenchingly terrible. the links he attempts to create in order to justify the whole sordid ordeal are f*cking pathetic.
    b, 21
    b, 21I have nothing to say on his new material, i have not heard it. I liked the last couple albums, i like the guys voice, i think he is a talented artist but this microsoft infomercial is f*cking abysmal.
    b, 21
    b, 21Damn.
    b, 21
    b, 21Bill Hicks would have a field day with this.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21The Gap ad was shitty, but this is the final straw. F*ck this guy for acting like some enlightened neo-human and then using his status to sell out in the dumbest most cynical, pretentious way possible. I am no longer checking for any of his work. I don't care - which will be easy because I have no reason why I'd ever want to listen to his 36 year old man sexxx rapps over poppy synth beats.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21the irony of a board that goes through 3 pages of musicological analysis of 'Pop Champagne' and then dismisses this album outright is not lost on me.
    b, 21
    b, 21the title track is the only one I've heard so I can't speak on the rest of the LP, but the beat is cool and people like it when I play it out.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21You really should listen to the rest of the album. I personally thought anything would be better than the soporific stuff he's been putting out recently but I was so very wrong. I would go back and listen to it a second time to give it a chance to grow on me but I don't really feel I deserve that kind of sonic abuse at this time in my life.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21the irony of a board that goes through 3 pages of musicological analysis of 'Pop Champagne' and then dismisses this album outright is not lost on me.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Why is that 'ironic'?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Why is that 'ironic'?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21It's like raaaaaaaaaeeeeeeeeaaayyyyyyyyyyyyynnnnnnn on your wedding day.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21he always has been.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21I'm obviously joking in this thread.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21It's not obvious--Crochet Com drives you crazy like that astronaut lady.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21the title track is the only one I've heard so I can't speak on the rest of the LP, but the beat is cool and people like it when I play it out.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21For those of us that have heard the album, there is no irony. b, 21 Universal Mind Control LPb, 21b, 21It's THAT bad.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21For those of us that have heard the album, there is no irony.
    b, 21
    Universal Mind Control LPb, 21b, 21It's THAT bad. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I haven't heard either and still prefer 'Pop Champagne'.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21I haven't heard either and still prefer 'Pop Champagne'.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21This is the correct answer.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    this board had nowhere close to 3 pgs of musicological analysis of pop champagne; it had one post. but even so, at least that track is an organically popular club song.b, 21b, 21b, 21btw best Common era is lwfc + relativity shit talker who got on traxx w/ fat joe and the beatnuts:b, 21b, 21object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1

The irony would be if "Pop Champagne" were Jim Jones awkwardly rapping way out of his element - trying to drop political raps about Franz Fanon or some shit - and we'd be all: "well, at least that beat is hot!" b, 21b, 21Did I mention Common reworks the first verses from Biggie's "Unbelievable"? b, 21b, 21It was bad enough to be possibly be a capital offense in BK.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I'm assuming those are non-prescription glasses he's wearing in that Microsoft interview?

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I'm assuming those are non-prescription glasses he's wearing in that Microsoft interview?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I think Large Pro is ther only one rockin prescriptions.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21For those of us that have heard the album, there is no irony.
    b, 21
    Universal Mind Control LPb, 21b, 21It's THAT bad. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21I haven't heard either and still prefer 'Pop Champagne'.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I don't think it's fair to compare what he does to "Pop Champagne". I prefer to side it to Kanye's last LP. They both tried to do something different. They both tried to go for the ladies. They both tried to get away from the urban/ghetto/gangster semantic. And they both managed to raise my eyebrows and failed to deliver some timeless song, ??-la-"I used to love her"...Oh well. Rap is now a hobby for him.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21 Rap is now a hobby for him.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I wouldnt go that far. He dropped two "lyrical" albums w/ suspect beats and he still didnt get love.b, 21b, 21Why would he return to that? b, 21b, 21"U muthafuskers are gonna hatt on me anyway so fusk it, Ill Lite-Rhyme over some other shit this time around." "Everyone else is Living Astro these days....might as well join the electronica club."

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21 Rap is now a hobby for him.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21I wouldnt go that far. He dropped two "lyrical" albums w/ suspect beats and he still didnt get love.
    b, 21
    b, 21Why would he return to that?
    b, 21
    b, 21"U muthafuskers are gonna hatt on me anyway so fusk it, Ill Lite-Rhyme over some other shit this time around." "Everyone else is Living Astro these days....might as well join the electronica club."
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Yeah, we'll see how that works out. I mean, if he can bank off this, more power to him. But gawd, it's just awful.