Common: universal mind control

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
Anyone else hear the album?b, 21b, 21Self. Ethering.b, 21b, 21Even Faux Rillz couldn't have imagined an album this terd-tastic.

Comments

• I think it's alright. Nothing could be worse than that Electric Circus nonsense.

• I need a few more reviews before I download this. I don't want to waste five minutes downloading a crap album when there are other things I could be doing in those five minutes.

• LOL its really gotten to this point -- people to need to hear a positive review not to buy but steal an album.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Don't even bother downloading it... img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hi.gif" alt="" 21

• It caught me by surprise, but... there was a Mos Def track on a soundtrack a few years ago where it seemed unlike him and I tossed it off as a toss off. This new Common album, upon first listen, sounds like that. But as I said on another board, perhaps this leaves room for the potential of good stuff to come from Common and many others in 2009.b, 21b, 21Or the potential of a lot more copycat crap.

• Damn Common and this 9 to 10 song albums!b, 21Only three good songs: Inhale,Changes & Everywhere.

• Im buying my local best buys' entire stock on Tuesday!!!!! Instant 8.5!!!!

• I don't think I liked a single song.b, 21b, 21What does Common say on "I Used to Love HER" - "Now I see her in commercials, she's universal." And "[i]Universal/i1 Mind Control" is in that Zune commercial? img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1199.gif" alt="" 21

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Common has been playing himself like that for years, though. I don't have a problem with someone trying to eat, but down the years Common's maybe pointed the finger a few times too many to get a free pass on all his contradictions and inconsistencies. Especially since he isn't half the emcee now that he was even on Like Water For Chocolate.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I think it's alright. Nothing could be worse than that Electric Circus nonsense.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21No. b, 21b, 21UMC makes EC sound like Illmatic. b, 21b, 21"Electric Circus" was an ambitious album executed poorly. But at least it was trying for something. b, 21b, 21UMC has no such pretensions to be anything more than a dumb party album and in that respect, it wins in spades. The problem isn't in wanting to make a party album. It's the "dumb" part. b, 21b, 21Terrible rhymes. Completely underwhelming beats (the Neptunes have never sounded so dull). b, 21b, 21And whole concept is FAIL from jump to end.

• i went from hating common, to liking common, to not liking common to liking him again. i haven't heard any of the newness except for umc, but i like that cut alright. i dodged ec altogether.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I think it's alright. Nothing could be worse than that Electric Circus nonsense.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21No.
    b, 21
    b, 21UMC makes EC sound like Illmatic.
    b, 21
    b, 21"Electric Circus" was an ambitious album executed poorly. But at least it was trying for something.
    b, 21
    b, 21UMC has no such pretensions to be anything more than a dumb party album and in that respect, it wins in spades. The problem isn't in wanting to make a party album. It's the "dumb" part.
    b, 21
    b, 21Terrible rhymes. Completely underwhelming beats (the Neptunes have never sounded so dull).
    b, 21
    b, 21And whole concept is FAIL from jump to end.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21This line from the title song is one of the corniest things dude has ever writtenb, 21b, 21/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Gucci - Rock'n
    b, 21Coochies - Pop'n
    b, 21Movie - Watch'n
    b, 21Booties - Shop'n
    b, 21Body - Move'n, Show'n, Groov'n, styl'n and being fly
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21 img src="http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/exclamation.gif"1

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    F*ck Common.b, 21b, 21...and I never want to hear "I Used to Love HER" ever again.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    it isn't that bad. some good songs on there, the one with kanye for example. better than the previous years boring old man stuff he has been putting out

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    MARQUEE Direction=right1
    /MARQUEE1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1can't blame him for having his universal mind elsewhere.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Terrible rhymes. Completely underwhelming beats (the Neptunes have never sounded so dull).
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I actually like the UMC beat and Pharrell's whole Bambaataa/Busy Bee throwback chorus. Common is the weak link. Dude is super boring on the mic and he always has been. He seems completely out of place on a party track like that and his rhymes are cheese (i.e. Day's example). If it was someone else rapping on that song I'd be feeling it.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21he always has been.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21img src="http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j112/artmeister/megaeyeroll.gif"1

• HERE COME THE TENDERBERRIES!!!

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21UMC has no such pretensions to be anything more than a dumb party album
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21Sounds like hip-hop...you know i1fun/i1. b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif" alt="" 21

• Wait, the UMC's have a new album out?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Wait, the UMC's have a new album out?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21 Everybody

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Wait, the UMC's have a new album out?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21ny oil = kool kimb, 21b, 21object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/day465/doodoo.jpg"1b, 21b, 21object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1b, 21b, 21I GOT SHOCKED WHEN I TOUCHED YOUR HAIRb, 21object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Are the Okayplayerereses going to defend this auditory abortion?

• It appears so - I believe the one DiskJocKingMost is already telling Oliver "FORGET YOUR FACE I SWEAR I WILL!" via PM.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21GIRL...OOH YA LOOK UNH
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21YOU CAN CALL ME SMOKEY
    b, 21I'LL BE THE BEAR
    b, 21THE SMELL OF SEXY IS ALL IN THE AIR
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    So will this up his stock with dee ladeeeths?b, 21img src=http://www.buddytv.com/articles/42255a-1.jpg1

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21it isn't that bad. some good songs on there, the one with kanye for example. better than the previous years boring old man stuff he has been putting out
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21img src=http://boldt.us/8445-3/tripping_statue.jpg1b, 21b, 21Common's wanna-be young club dude is more embarrassing than his "boring old man" phase.