Mayer Hawthorne podcast

Comments

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Not to be a total empeefree gripper, but anyone got a decent rip of this (the New Holidays joint, not the Mayer remake). kthxbai...

http://www.djferrari.com/music/NewHolidays.mp3

Sorry, but my copy (like so many) isn't in the best shape... but it's still an empeefree

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Not to be a total empeefree gripper, but anyone got a decent rip of this (the New Holidays joint, not the Mayer remake). kthxbai...

Sorry, but my copy (like so many) isn't in the best shape... but it's still an empeefree

I've had this sung to me in front lawns around Detroit a good half-dozen times.
    It's one that older heads all seem to remember.

• The key to the original is the exquisite vocal harmony throughout. Something Mr Hawthorne seems to have neglected.

One of my favorite tracks of all time for sure... not really feeling his cover.

i agree. i do really like the heart-shaped record though. and if i heard him cover "maybe so, maybe no" at a live show, i would probably be into it, just not so much as a his new single.

• The key to the original is the exquisite vocal harmony throughout. Something Mr Hawthorne seems to have neglected.

One of my favorite tracks of all time for sure... not really feeling his cover.

i agree. i do really like the heart-shaped record though. and if i heard him cover "maybe so, maybe no" at a live show, i would probably be into it, just not so much as a his new single.

I thought it was the weakest song on his page, he didn't pull that falsetto off at all.

And tanks to Mr DJ Ferrari for the MPfree.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Thanks Ferrari, you are a gentlemen and a scholar... [/gripping]

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

That's so awesome... my head would probably explode if I experienced that.

• Not to be a total empeefree gripper, but anyone got a decent rip of this (the New Holidays joint, not the Mayer remake). kthxbai...

TYVM

I still like his version and I still like the 10"

• definitly no

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

For real - my 4 year old knows the chorus of this by heart. Ask her and she'll tell ya, "my favorite song is "Maybe So, Maybe No" (followed in close second by "I'll Find You"...Ashford and Simpson-R).

paging Sasha Fierce: "At Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast..."

btw: Ann Arbor is not Detroit, don't get it twisted

lol

You know what I mean though.

And yes, Beyonce (or anyone) trying to tackle Etta James = a questionable endeavor.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

For real - my 4 year old knows the chorus of this by heart. Ask her and she'll tell ya, "my favorite song is "Maybe So, Maybe No" (followed in close second by "I'll Find You"...Ashford and Simpson-R).

that's one hip tot!

already has better taste in music than 98% of soulstrut

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Look, despite the track at least sounding better than I expected it, I am not about to get excited about anyone doing obscure soul covers. Those groups didn't get their due as it is and for someone else to come along, scoop their work, and re-do it with less feeling does not cut it for me. It's the original content that makes what he does interesting.

• would it make me not a real soulman if i were to say i kinda like the Mayer Hawthorne version a lil better than the New Holidays version?

would it make me not a real soulman if i were to say i kinda like the Mayer Hawthorne version a lil better than the New Holidays version?

b/w

You the man but you're tripping.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    would it make me not a real soulman if i were to say i kinda like the Mayer Hawthorne version a lil better than the New Holidays version?

BRING THE DRAMA!

• would it make me not a real soulman if i were to say i kinda like the Mayer Hawthorne version a lil better than the New Holidays version?

b/w

You the man but you're tripping.

• sometimes white people make black music better than black people do

• I'm trying real hard to not be a hater on this. I like the tunes, well enough at least. But I just don't think that covering well-loved sweet soul ballads - or even just attempting to sound like them - in a fairly amateur falsetto with drum breaks is really cutting it. This stuff is interesting for a listen or three but the original records (or the stuff he's basing the sound on) blow it all out of the water. Unfortunately. I want to like the concept more than I like the actual material. I can enjoy the tracks but to me they don't move beyond the realm of "novelty". "Just ain't gonna work out" is correct.

• OBSCURE SOUL BALADS VALIDATED!

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    "Just ain't gonna work out" is correct.

• Haha... oh man. F*ck! I sound like such a hater.

I like the records OK... just not like ZOMG HAVE YOU HEARD THIS NEW FLYNESS IT IS TEH LIFE CHANGINGZ!
    like some folks are.

• b/w

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    b/w

AND YOU THIS (MAN)!

I hear what you're saying though. I think the 1st single was a good record and filled a void in this "LET'S ALL MAKE FUTURE MUSIC! ERN ERN UNTZ UNTZ BARAOOOWWWWWW" climate. A lot of people were feeling it.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    b/w

AND YOU THIS (MAN)!

Dude was definitely a lurker during the time I knew him in AA. I may have even given him his copy of the New Holidays.

I may have even given him his copy of the New Holidays.

Bob Mays living room is another strong possibility...

The rill schitt cover of New Holidays:

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Is that your daughter?
    LOL

Is that your daughter?
    LOL

Yeah - she started spontaneously singing the hook in the car today and I got out my iPhone in time to record some of it.