Mayer Hawthorne podcast

Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
it's like a motown radio broadcast.b, 21b, 21a href="http://www.stonesthrow.com/news/2008/12/stones-throw-podcast-40-hawthorne-radio" target="_blank"1http://www.stonesthrow.com/news/2008/12/stones-throw-podcast-40-hawthorne-radio/a1b, 21b, 21haven't heard any hawthorne tracks yet. Don't know if any will creep in there.

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21[i]His next single is ???Maybe So, Maybe No??? coming in 2009.
    /i1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21img src="http://soulfuldetroit.com/web15-Holidays/13-Holidays.jpg"1b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21He better come [i]with it/i1 on this one. It won't be easy to do that joint justice.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    It may not be a cover though.b, 21b, 21Killer OG song!

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21It may not be a cover though.
    b, 21
    b, 21Killer OG song!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Yeah, I'm real curious. Almost certainly influenced. I want him to pull it off.

I think he should leave well alone but hey, I'll suspend judgment until I hear it.

• I don't get it. There are plenty of American-run "proper northern"/rare soul nights, DJs, and collectors here in the US these days, so what's the deal with this guy? b, 21b, 21Paging Soulhawk! img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/155.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21Of course, just watch this podcast make all the relatively common (and excellent) Detroit titles contained therein - Bobby Bland, Dee Edwards, Superlatives, Marvin, Belita Woods, Precisions, etc. - shoot up in price if the hipsters get hip to this!!

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I don't get it. There are plenty of American-run "proper northern"/rare soul nights, DJs, and collectors here in the US these days, so what's the deal with this guy?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I'm not exactly sure what you're saying, but this guy made a cool song that people responded to. I don't think anyone is hyping him up as the king, he just made a good record.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I don't get it. There are plenty of American-run "proper northern"/rare soul nights, DJs, and collectors here in the US these days, so what's the deal with this guy?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21I'm not exactly sure what you're saying, but this guy made a cool song that people responded to. I don't think anyone is hyping him up as the king, he just made a good record.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21You're right. I rushed to judgment, didn't realize he made his own songs as well...and on a heart-shaped 45 no less! But, yeah, his song is good.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21[i]His next single is ???Maybe So, Maybe No??? coming in 2009.
    /i1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21He better come [i]with it
    /i1 on this one. It won't be easy to do that joint justice.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I'm not hip to the song that's referenced here. Can a brother get a soundbite? b, 21b, 21I can tell you if it's what Hawthorne's track sounds like, because he played it when he was home the other day. If this "Maybe So, Maybe No" is 10x better than "Just Ain't Gonna Work Out," then it's probably not the same song. I wasn't as impressed with it as I was Hawthorne's first single. Then again, I heard it on a overly-loud club P.A. system at a hip hop night. My mind may not have been right for it.

object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Holy shit - I'd never heard that before. What a song.

• dam thats a good song

Yeah, the song is ridiculously good. A Bump Shop classique!b, 21b, 21It came out on Soulhawk (rarer) and Westbound as well (easier to cop).

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    object width="425" height="344"1
    param name="movie" value=""1
    /param1
    param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1
    /param1
    param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1
    /param1
    embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1
    /embed1
    /object1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21wierd, this is one of 3 or so of the records I brought home from the Santa Cruz b, 21record swap. Thanks again Breakself img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="" 21

You can get the Soulhawk pink label for a fair price.b, 21b, 21One just ended at $30, which is more than it usually goes for.b, 21b, 21Never seen a Westbound pressing.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21One just ended at $30, which is more than it usually goes for.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21There goes the neighborhood!

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    object width="425" height="344"1
    param name="movie" value=""1
    /param1
    param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1
    /param1
    param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1
    /param1
    embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1
    /embed1
    /object1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Umm yeah, this is it, hombre.b, 21b, 21Wow... I knew Andrew/Haircut/Hawthorne was deep, but not this deep. I've heard this before and I forgot about it. I think I would go nuts procuring soul 45s.b, 21b, 21Anyway Drewn, this is the song. Now if Hawthorne's cover is acceptable, I cannot officially say. I'd like to hear it on my home audio system. Regardless, I'll probably buy two copies, just like I did the red heart-shaped 45. It's just a lot different when you know the person.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    I'm officially addicted to this song, btw.b, 21b, 21Thanks.b, 21b, 21I really hope Haircut does this joint justice.

Ha - guess who just walked into my Thursday night party?b, 21b, 21The man himself!

Looks like his "Maybe So, Maybe No" is recorded and ready to go. I'll be curious to give it a listen.

• http://www.myspace.com/mayerhawthorne

he uploaded that Maybe So Maybe No track and some other one is on there too
    I gotta say that I am feelin' it x 100

He guested at my weekly a month back and some of the new joints he played were solid. Personally, I don't think his version of "Maybe So, Maybe No" touches the OG but I also think it'd be impossible for anyone to create a viable cover of that particular song.

• He guested at my weekly a month back and some of the new joints he played were solid. Personally, I don't think his version of "Maybe So, Maybe No" touches the OG but I also think it'd be impossible for anyone to create a viable cover of that particular song.
    totally agree with that.
    I'm feelin his version x100
    I'm feelin og version x100000000000000

still a good song and hopefully that beginnings of a solid album

• He guested at my weekly a month back and some of the new joints he played were solid. Personally, I don't think his version of "Maybe So, Maybe No" touches the OG but I also think it'd be impossible for anyone to create a viable cover of that particular song.

Exactly, so what's the point of recording it then? Yeah, I forgot.. A bunch of hipsters who've never heard Love is alright or Maybe so.. are probably going to think that he is a f*ckin genius.

He should get a proper band together and start recording slow sweet soul like ordells or harlem meat company instead.. I think it would work out great..

+ the remix.. what the hell was that?!

/EUROPEAN HATER

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    The key to the original is the exquisite vocal harmony throughout. Something Mr Hawthorne seems to have neglected.

He guested at my weekly a month back and some of the new joints he played were solid. Personally, I don't think his version of "Maybe So, Maybe No" touches the OG but I also think it'd be impossible for anyone to create a viable cover of that particular song.

Exactly, so what's the point of recording it then? Yeah, I forgot.. A bunch of hipsters who've never heard Love is alright or Maybe so.. are probably going to think that he is a f*ckin genius.

Oh jesus, here we go.

I really doubt he recorded a cover of the song to reach "a bunch of hipsters." He's from Detroit and that city's soul history has been a major influence on his own sound. So it's not surprising he might try his hand at a Detroit cover or two but most of what I've heard from him have been original songs, not covers.

He wouldn't be the first guy to record a cover that's not as good as the original but the attempt isn't exactly evidence of hipster pandering.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    paging Sasha Fierce: "At Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast..."

btw: Ann Arbor is not Detroit, don't get it twisted

lol

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Not to be a total empeefree gripper, but anyone got a decent rip of this (the New Holidays joint, not the Mayer remake). kthxbai...

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    The key to the original is the exquisite vocal harmony throughout. Something Mr Hawthorne seems to have neglected.

One of my favorite tracks of all time for sure... not really feeling his cover.

• of all of the "new" soul 45s that have come out in the last 5 years or so, I would say this Hawthorne one is one of the most underwhelming...I actually think its pretty awful