Japan--who's got the hookup?

2»

Comments

• Speaking of cheap eats in Kyoto.

Does anyone know the name of this chain from the logo on the bowl?

I wanna go back in April. I know it's like going to Burger king or some shit.

But damn that was a good cheap meal when I was dead from walking for 10 hours...

Yup, that's "Nakau." Not too bad every once in a while.
    ~~~~~~~~~
    Hogg, if you like curry, I always recommend visitors try "Moyan Curry " in Shinjuku or Ikebukuro. There's only 3 stores to their chain. It's my favorite curry place in all of Tokyo, aside from real authentic Indian places like A-RAJ in Higashi-Ikebukuro or Thai restaurants. Lemme know if you're interested and can't figure out where they are.

• Yr hotel is close walk to K-Towns, Okubo and Shin-Okubo. Good eats to be had there fir Korean style pork barbeques (like yakiniku, basically) and good Chijimis or whatever.

Also, you're just a straight shot North of Shinjuku Gyoen, which if you have day you're a bit tsukareta-ed I can't recommend a laydown halfnap on their grass more. It's such a beautiful park. Look out, however because it closes at 4:30 pm everyday, and does cost 200 yen or so to get in. Beautiful gardens and what not.

If you leave Tokyo withou checking out that park, it would be a real pity.

• You're right--we're very close to Shinjuku Gyoen (and I appreciate a recommendation for HIGASHI-Shinjuku; everything I find seems to be in Nishi-Shinjuku).

The one downer is that it looks like it'll be raining (and cold) while we're there, so no park naps for us.

And we love Indian curry, but aren't super into the Japanese version. (And the "cheese curry" listed on Moyan's menu sounds...chotto.....)

• Yes, I hear you on the Japanese version, as it can end up just being a sweeter, blander roux compared to the awesome world of flavor of Indian or thai or Malaysian curries.

BUT...Moyan is a really unique pan-Asian type of curry flavor that has more going on than any other typical Japanese curry you'll ever try. One of the reasons why I'm not the only Moyan-addict I know, gaijin and otherwise. It's like a Japanese masala where you choose the spice level you want, from 1 to 20 (anything over 10 they only recommend for "spice maniacs"). It's one of those places where they just "do things right" and I haven't had anyone not thoroughly enjoy their meal--usually for about ten bucks or less.

Not to go on too long about it, but yeah...that's a tasty curry.

Try "Ban-Thai" in Kabukicho for very good Thai. The bento.com review doesn't have anything good to say about it, but they're sorely mistaken.

Higashi shinjuku is way more interesting than Nishi, especially after dark (aside from real near the station), but they're so close a walk that there's not much need to delineate.

• here's OKONOMIYAKI recommendation!

i believe the best place to enjoy OKONOMIYAKI is OSAKA or HIROSHIMA. but as far as Tokyo, that's definitely Tsukishima which is 30min from Shibuya by subway. Tsukishima is famous for MONJA (kinda cousin of OKONOMIYAKI). known as Monja town. there are 30-50 or more MONJA/ OKONOMIYAKI restaurant. though i don't know which is the best, all restaurants seems to be in pretty high level on taste cause i've never failed there.
    usually MONJA restaurants serve OKONOMIYAKI too.

http://photograph.kensuke.net/archives/0023_tsukishima/06.html
    http://tkss.jp/pjn/archives/2006/10/25235739.php

enjoy!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    A years worth of Japanese Food in Tokyo brought to you by The tokyo stormtrooper lol

• Update: Yokohama is magical.

• UPDATE: Trip of a lifetime. So many photos and stories--here are a couple (mainly food-related):

Toro Niku (from pig's cheek, a la fatty tuna) from Takaraya Ramen in Kyoto:

We ate there two nights in a row--unbelievable.

And lots of Okonomiyaki:

These two look gross, but were great:

Best part is that they're from a restaurant called...

We even had an okonomiyaki DONUT (cabbage inside--and yes, that's katsuoboshi 'pon top):

Don't sleep on green tea desserts:

Vending machine waffle-encased caramel ice cream:

Speaking of machines, Tommy Lee Jones is a BOWSE:

Yatsuhashi, the Kyoto Treat:

Early sakura at Kiyomizudera:

Some of those Nara deer are gangster:

And some are not:

Strolling in Kyoto:

Gotta include a few classique signs:

^^^^Clothing store; did not deliver.

And because it wouldn't be Soulstrut without samples (man, plastic food is expensive):

Thanks to everyone who helped with tips!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Cool pictures man. I haven't been back to the motherland since I was like 10

• J_RoyJ_Roy 33 Posts
    thanks for the photos. i remember dining at mr. young men in kyoto while checking out the record shops. damn, i really wanna go back.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Bump for meistromoco!

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Oh, and this Tokyo Subway Map site is a lifesaver: http://www.tokyo-subway.net/english/index.html

• thanks, my man! This helps a lot!