Japan--who's got the hookup?

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
So we were planning a trip to Thailand for early February, but we canceled it last night. We're now trying to change our itinerary to a trip to Japan. I'm about to wrap up my first Japanese class this week, so I'll be able to get by OK linguistically. For now, we're thinking of focusing on Tokyo and Yokohama. I'll be traveling with my wife and we're looking for reasonable hotel recommendations. A few things to keep in mind:b, 21b, 21We're not trying to stay in a hostel, but we're also not trying to break the bank with our hotels. I've heard that you can find a nice room for two for roughly $100/night. Is that so? b, 21b, 21We can't do a place with public baths, as I am covered in yakuza-style tattoos. I am well aware of the stigma and plan to remain covered up.b, 21b, 21We're not there to go shopping. Beyond the odd souvenir, I doubt we'll buy anything but food. b, 21b, 21Thanks in advance!

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Dude, I'm the Japan on the cheap expert. Holla at me. I got doing the whole country on the cheap on lock.b, 21b, 21Kimi Ryokan in Ikebukuro, Tokyo is cheap and you get the Ryokan experience. b, 21b, 21a href="http://www.kimi-ryokan.jp/" target="_blank"1http://www.kimi-ryokan.jp//a1

Also, when in Feb? I will prolly be in Jp in Feb. (Not trying to intrude on your fam trip though).

• Yes! Glad to hear it. And we're looking at Feb. 4-14 or so.

• remember when the turtles went to japan?

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I'm about to wrap up my first Japanese class this week, so I'll be able to get by OK linguistically.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21just found today a href="http://www.iknow.co.jp/" target="_blank"1http://www.iknow.co.jp//a1 and looks good.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Yes! Glad to hear it. And we're looking at Feb. 4-14 or so.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21So you'll be in Japan on Valentine's Day? Nice. Tell your wife that, according to Japanese tradition she has to get you a gift, and you will not be reciprocating because when in Rome...

• Toyoko Inn. It's a chain with hotels all throughout the major cities in Japan. Pretty inexpensive and they have private bathrooms and all that.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I'm sure you can find cheaper ones, but me and my gf LOVED the pseudo-Bali style hotels here. Incense burning up in the lobby, Bali jungle music, massage chairs, etc. a href="http://www.balian.jp/shinjuku/price/room_pretty.html" target="_blank"1Balian Shinjuku/a1 The cheapest one I just looked up is about $130/night. Maybe for a night, it might be cool.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I'm sure you can find cheaper ones, but me and my gf LOVED the pseudo-Bali style hotels here. Incense burning up in the lobby, Bali jungle music, massage chairs, etc.
    a href="http://www.balian.jp/shinjuku/price/room_pretty.html" target="_blank"1Balian Shinjuku
    /a1 The cheapest one I just looked up is about $130/night. Maybe for a night, it might be cool.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21That looks like a Balinese themed love hotel.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I'm sure you can find cheaper ones, but me and my gf LOVED the pseudo-Bali style hotels here. Incense burning up in the lobby, Bali jungle music, massage chairs, etc.
    a href="http://www.balian.jp/shinjuku/price/room_pretty.html" target="_blank"1Balian Shinjuku
    /a1 The cheapest one I just looked up is about $130/night. Maybe for a night, it might be cool.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21That looks like a Balinese themed love hotel.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Basically.

• Gotta peep Kyoto my daimey.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Gotta peep Kyoto my daimey.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Oh he will go. I used the Golden pavilion at the golden hour argument. b, 21b, 21 img src="http://www.timothysykes.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/golden_pavilion.jpg"1

• U ALREADY KNO.b, 21b, 21Also, can I expect to act like this while in Nihon?b, 21b, 21img src="http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/2818/rampage2lu0.gif"1

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21U ALREADY KNO.
    b, 21
    b, 21Also, can I expect to act like this while in Nihon?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Ask Million Dollars.

• UPDATE: We leave for Japan next Thursday. Itinerary is 5 days in Tokyo, 5 days in Kyoto (day trips to Yokohama/Nara/possibly Osaka). We got great deals on hotels (Toyoko Inn in Kyoto and Sunlite Shinjuku in Tokyo); average is just under $100/night. Got the Japan Rail passes and all that good stuff, so we're set.

Plan: little to no shopping, tons of walking, and many, many bowls of ramen/soba. Wifey wa ninshin shite imasu (preggers), so no raw fish for her, but we're not too concerned, otherwise.

So one last time: cheap eat recommendations in either city? Food will be our only major expense, and while we're not exactly scurred, we also don't wanna blow the budget by dropping $150 a day on food (which sounds like it would be easy to do).

• all those big department stores have food on the bottom floors. if you hit them up before they close around 7:30pm you can grab the bento's (premade boxed foods) etc at discounted prices. i would cop some bakery items for the next mornings breakfast and a bento box for the next days lunch while i was out sight seeing etc.

there is a really good tofu restaurant in shibuya that i liked, if i remember the name I will post it. hope you got a good map to find your way around.

have fun. i was there a little over 16 days and it was not enough.

There`s this bomb Okinaya style BBQ in Sangenchaya which is relatively close to Shibuya. It`s like at most 30 bucks per person and the ambience is real nice. Real spacious, real laidback. It`s in a small alley with a bunch of other eateries. Just holler at a restaurant guy around "Carrot Tower" in Sangenchaya and be like "Okinawa resutoran doko desuka?!" I also heard there`s a reallly popular and really good Nabe (hot pot) place in the same area.

Watch out for the restaurants that let people smoke though! Obviously no good for your wife. Take pictures and post em when youre back! Have fun!

• hi hoggi. have fun. sorry i have no recommendations and even if i did i couldnt tell u how to get there.

anyways, i was just wondering, how is it that you are going to prolly one of the biggest shopping meccas in the world and u arent gon go shopping? whatever you want, theyll have it. and in about 120 different colors. i mean, i am no shopper by any means, but thats like going to disneyland for the funnel cakes F*ck THE MATTERHORN.

in any case, youll be pleasantly surprised by the cost of things out there. i think even nyc is more expensive in both food and clothing. also, get to know the combini. u can survive off nigiris and genki drinks for like a buck a pop. and NOMIHYODAI!!!!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    if you do decide to do any shopping, here's one related to food. Buy a Japanese chef's knife (gyuto), it'll be much cheaper (30-40%) than it is in the US. I suggest brands like Misono, Hiromoto, Suisin, Masamoto, at 240mm/9.4" at least. There are a few knife shops around Tsukiji fish market.

Being winter, you might want to look into shabu shabu, nabe, etc. Besides ramen/udon/soba, there are also yakitori joints, izakayas, etc....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E65pCqHOjm0

http://www.rameniac.com/resource/archives/C64

have fun....

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Yo Hogg!!!

I did Tokyo & Kyoto last April and it looks like I'm doing Japan again this April. My home boy DJ Serious is doing 3 months in Asia and I'm doing the first 3 weeks with him in Japan & Korea. All I can say is you're gonna have a blast!

I've got a billion pics, but here are some possible places to check out in Kyoto. Side note: When you walk into the subway in Kyoto. Hit up the info counter and pick up the free tourist maps they have. It will show all transit info (Subway, trains, buses) plus all main attractions. They really made everything a breeze to get around! I can't stress home much they came in handy! Plus, you can buy any transit passes you might wanna pick up from them that let you travel around for a few days with the one ticket. Cheaper, plus it makes it easier than trying to figure out prices each time you go somewhere.

Got off the train and this was the first thing I saw and needed to eat!

Kyoto has some wicked Zen Gardens!

Make sure to hit up Gion in Kyoto and be sure to get off the main streets and hit up the amazing backstreets that are simply beautiful. The realness is there...

If your lucky you'll run into some real Geisha's on their way to work. They are like rock stars on the streets.

Hit up the Fushimi Inari Shrine with the Torri Tunnels!!!

Oh shit, don't miss the Tenryu-Ji bamboo groves in back behind the temple grounds!!!!!!!!

Lots of good food!!

Everything under the sun with Green Tea/Matcha! Try to get a traditional Matcha/Green Tea Whisk thing done somewhere!!!

I'm missing my Tokyo pics right now (Cept this one). But you'll have zero problem finding things to see and do there...

Have a great time!!! OH, and if ur going with the gurl and really wanna knock her socks off and you got the cash and a bit of free time. Take her to a hot spring outside Tokyo. A good spot is a bit expensive, but shit is AMAZING!!!

• Thanks, D-O-Aru! I'd heard about the Kyoto bus navigator guides and traveler info booth--glad to get a firsthand account of its awesomeness.

Great pics, too!

• hi,
    Toritake is a nice Yakitori (kind of grilled chicken) bar near the Shibuya station. which is rather cheap (around 30bucks/person at night if eat & drink gently..) but great on taste. recommended.
    http://shibuyachuogai.com/toritake/index.html
    http://r.tabelog.com/tokyo/A1303/A130301/13001702/

do you have specific food you want to have?

• Man, that karaage looks great! And I don't think we'll doing much drinking (sumimasen, Shig-San), so that would be very affordable.

As far as specific foods, wifey can't have namano sakana, but anything else is fair game. We're pretty open. Oh, and OKONOMIYAKIYA recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Looking at those menu photos in your second link makes me realize that I'm gonna have a tough time not knowing kanji! At least the words "yakitori" and "unagi" are in hiragana on the sign.

OKONOMIYAKI

Yo, just so you know. It's pretty well known in Japan that Kansai rocks the best okonomiyaki.

• i got 2 words for u

RAMEN

its like maybe 8-9 us dollars prolly even cheaper. found everywhere. there is also a ramen museum in yokohama that you might want to look into.

rice balls at the combini are about $2 good for lunch or snack and the drinks are great. not too sweet and they have a bunch of gatorade type thingies with "amino acids" although i could never tell if that was true or not. the kiosks at the train station are reasonable or comparable to combinis. itll most likely be cold and there are sodacan hot drinks and hot drink vending machines that fucken rule.

breakfast is gon be hard to come by if youre used to traditional western style. there are bakeries that are ok and theyre always in the dept stores and grocery stores.

careful of the okonomiyaki cuz it traditionally has fish in it. octopus and what nots.

there are all kinds of curry shops that are basically fast food joints. if u gotta gotta go western, id suggest mosburger. there may be some newfangled burger thing in tokyo now, but i remember mosburger being delicious.

there are tonkatsu houses that fry everything from pork chops to oysters. mmmmm. the ase-man mentioned izakayas which are like japanese tapas. hint: those arent chicken nuggets, its nosebone cartilege and shit. but yeah, bar atmosphere with tasty plates of food.

there is a big flea market in yoyogi park on the weekends. vintage american and some old japanese stuff for fairly cheap. i mean, it is all quality shit of course but its reasonable and not any more than you would pay here at a vintage shop. clothes, bric-a-brac , records all kinds of shit. and by shit i mean good stuff.

im pretty sure this is all over japan but the busking scene in places like shibuya and stuff are ridiculous. jazz bands, noise bands, u never know. its kinda cool to just walk around.

hmm, i'll try and think of some more cheap fun stuff for u. keeping in mind youre preggers.

• oh i forgot its gon be freezing cold when youre there. might not be much busking and stuff. also, could u do me a favor? could u try a banana milk at the 7-11 and pour some out on the curb for me. i miss that stuff. oishikatta desss.

• You nerds are helpful--really, you are--but I've found that when I need lots and lots of info, I have to turn to far nerdier forums, like this Kyoto Survival Guide from a Magic The Gathering forum.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Speaking of cheap eats in Kyoto.

Does anyone know the name of this chain from the logo on the bowl?

I wanna go back in April. I know it's like going to Burger king or some shit.

But damn that was a good cheap meal when I was dead from walking for 10 hours...

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    Magic The Gathering

^^TRUE HOBBIES REVEALED^^

• Never been to Japan, has always been a dream of mine since a kid.

But I did find this cover on a blog a few seconds ago: