Some new cookings (food)

2»

Comments

• Bulgarian Kebabb, 21b, 21equal parts ground beef and lamb (about 3/4 pound of each)b, 211 medium yellow onion (very small dice)b, 21handful of flat leaf parsley (chopped)b, 21handful of stale, brown breadb, 211 eggb, 212 tbs fresh mint leaves choppedb, 211 tsp paprikab, 212 tsp ground cuminb, 21salt and pepperb, 21b, 21make bread crumbs out of the bread (put in the food processor). You can also put the onion, parsley, and mint in the food processor if you don't want to chop it all (but do it separately from the bread). Take the meat and mix in breadcrumbs, onion, herbs, spices, egg, everything.b, 21b, 21you can make burgers or shape on kebab skeweres and throw em on the grill. Serve with pita, homemade hummus, tahina (tahini paste, water, lemon juice, salt), and a simple salad (cucumbers, tomatoes, olive oil, and lemon juice)

• Moroccan Chickpea, Lentil, and Chicken Soup (Harria)b, 21b, 211 pound of chicken thighs (bone in, skin removed)b, 212 onions, choppedb, 212 cloves garlic, mincedb, 211.5 cups of chickpeas (soaked overnight -- it is worth using dried instead of canned)b, 213/4 cup of lentilsb, 211 can of whole plum tomatoesb, 214 celery stalks, dicedb, 21several handfuls of spinach or other green (kale)b, 212-3 tablespoons of tomato pasteb, 211-2 teaspoons of ground gingerb, 212 cinnamon sticksb, 211-2 teaspoons of turmericb, 215 tablespoons of flourb, 21juice of 1 lemonb, 21handful each of chopped flat-leaf parsley and cilantrob, 21salt and pepperb, 21b, 21Saute the onion and celery. When they are soft, add the garlic and saute for about a minute. add the chickpeas and chicken thighs and cover with about 10-12 cups of water. Bring to a light boil and simmer for about an hour. *Don't add salt until the chickpeas are cooked* After about an hour, remove the chicken and allow it to cool a bit. Remove the meat from the bone. It should be very tender - roughly shred it. Put the meat back into the pot. Chop the canned tomatoes and add to the pot (with the juice). Add the tomato paste, spices, and lentils. When the lentil begin to soften, you can add salt. Or a bullion cube or chicken stock.b, 21b, 21In another small pot over medium heat, slowly combine water (about 2 cups) with the flour. Stir vigorously to avoid lumps. Stir constantly until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Add slowly to the soup until it has a smooth texture (you might not use all of the flour mixture). Simmer for another 10 minutes or so. Adjust the seasoning, add the lemon juice, greens, and parsley and cilantro. Serve as soon as the greens are cooked (depending on what kind you use, you may want to add them a little earlier)b, 21b, 21yum.

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21I guess thats just me!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Along with every professional chef everywhere. Dude is obnoxious and stupid.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Yaeh dude is stuck in the 90's circa Smashmouth and shit. Im watchinh him on FN now and he has his shades on his neck.b, 21b, 21What demographic is he appealing to? I never....ever see that hairstyle on anyone here in NYC.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    I'm in college and I eat an average of 2.5 meals a day. I'm trying to do better and here are some of my tips:b, 21b, 21*spice up a bland veggie burger with chipotle sauce! I don't have any actual chipotle sauce, but I found that mixing mayo and hot sauce (not vinegar-based tabasco) is a suitable imitation of chipotle sauce flavor.b, 21*store pre-cut garlic/ginger in the fridge. I bought some minced garlic for about $1.50 and it lasts a while. It cuts down the 5 minutes of having to peel and chop a garlic clove. My mom chops it and freezes it.b, 21*boil a couple of eggs the night before, and grab them go to in the morning.b, 21*get low-fat or low-sodium soup instead of the regular kind. They taste bland, but adding a little tabasco sauce really helps.b, 21*USE LESS SALT! Foods will start tasting "too salty" after a while, and you won't need as much. This is good if you are trying to lower your blood pressure.b, 21*eat oatmeal on a cold day. Oatmeal is boring, but it's a lot more fun if you put a piece of cookie in it and let the oatmeal seep into the sweetness of the cookie. Works well with oatmeal cookies or choc chip.b, 21*I buy frozen veggies in plastic bags that steam in the microwave. 5 minutes, and I have a steamed veggie medley!b, 21*make your own yogurt parfaits by getting bulk yogurt from the grocery and adding cereal or nuts or whatever you have around.b, 21*EAT SWEETS or other goodies! A treat every once in a while won't kill you. If you're trying to be healthier, nothing is worse for your cravings that strictly depriving yourself.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Sorry, but I'm sick of this campaign against salt. Most people don't realize the majority of their salt intake isn't from salting foods while cooking, but from eating "processed" foods. Cut those out and you'll be able to salt your home cooked meals properly. The #1 mistake home cooks make is under-seasoning.b, 21b, 21img src="http://www.mayoclinic.com/images/inline/fn6_saltshaker.jpg"1b, 21b, 21I keep repeating myself, you would be shocked at how much salt the average restaurant uses. Why? Because it heightens the natural flavour of the food you're cooking. For instance, that means your pasta water should taste like the sea.

• Dinner was good tonight. I cut up a small (about 4-5 inch diameter) pumpkin and roasted it for about an hour with chopped fresh sage and a bit of olive oil. Then I cooked up a pound of penne and tossed the cooked pasta with the pumpkin and about 6 oz. of goat cheese. Also had mashed sweet potatoes and green salad but the pasta with pumpkin was the fun/interesting dish and got rave reviews.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Sorry, but I'm sick of this campaign against salt. Most people don't realize the majority of their salt intake isn't from salting foods while cooking, but from eating "processed" foods. Cut those out and you'll be able to salt your home cooked meals properly. The #1 mistake home cooks make is under-seasoning.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21I keep repeating myself, you would be shocked at how much salt the average restaurant uses. Why? Because it heightens the natural flavour of the food you're cooking. For instance, that means your pasta water should taste like the sea.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I didn't realize that, but salt from cooking does make a big diff for some people. I came from a family that made dinner from scratch every night, and the dad's side of the family historically had blood pressure issues. I know it's not every family, but my parents ate more home-cooked food than processed food, and still had health issues. My mom kneads her own dough for dinner. For people like us, the salt added to food at home is a big deal.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Sorry, but I'm sick of this campaign against salt. Most people don't realize the majority of their salt intake isn't from salting foods while cooking, but from eating "processed" foods. Cut those out and you'll be able to salt your home cooked meals properly. The #1 mistake home cooks make is under-seasoning.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21I keep repeating myself, you would be shocked at how much salt the average restaurant uses. Why? Because it heightens the natural flavour of the food you're cooking. For instance, that means your pasta water should taste like the sea.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21I didn't realize that, but salt from cooking does make a big diff for some people. I came from a family that made dinner from scratch every night, and the dad's side of the family historically had blood pressure issues. I know it's not every family, but my parents ate more home-cooked food than processed food, and still had health issues. My mom kneads her own dough for dinner. For people like us, the salt added to food at home is a big deal.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I keep a couple of different salts on hand for various purposes. Black,Pink,Kosher, and Sea.b, 21b, 21Never as a condiment unless it sprinkled on fresh fruit/veggies.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    salt is the shit on chocolate. I like to put grey flaked sea salt on my flourless chocolate cake (and I make the cake infused with earl grey tea) ..mmm...

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21salt is the shit on chocolate. I like to put grey flaked sea salt on my flourless chocolate cake (and I make the cake infused with earl grey tea) ..mmm...
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snapgraem26wuch9.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21Over time have u found that the bigger flakes are an advantage over regular-ass salt?

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21salt is the shit on chocolate. I like to put grey flaked sea salt on my flourless chocolate cake (and I make the cake infused with earl grey tea) ..mmm...
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snapgraem26wuch9.gif" alt="" 21
    b, 21
    b, 21Over time have u found that the bigger flakes are an advantage over regular-ass salt?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21less sodium in sea salt...took me a minute to decipher your post. Wait, what are you talking about? An advantage? A healthy advantage? Flavor advantage?

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    LuciousFox,b, 21b, 21Ask Santa for this this year...b, 21b, 21img src="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41MM087P13L.jpg"1

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snapgraem26wuch9.gif" alt="" 21
    b, 21
    b, 21Over time have u found that the bigger flakes are an advantage over regular-ass salt?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21less sodium in sea salt...took me a minute to decipher your post. Wait, what are you talking about? An advantage? A healthy advantage? Flavor advantage?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21flavor

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21LuciousFox,
    b, 21
    b, 21Ask Santa for this this year...
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I checked the NY times review of this. Talmbout how Salt was once used for currency.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    u1LOMO SALTADO[/b]/u1 (Peruvian stirfry)b, 21 i1This recipe is slightly adapted to the way I make it which is without fries. Which is healthier as well.[/i] b, 21b, 21b, 21 * 1 lb beef sirloin or beef tenderloin, cut into bite size pieces b, 21 * 1 large tomato, cut into strips b, 21 * 1 large pepper, seeded & cut into strips b, 21 * 4-5 green onions (echalottes) finely slicedb, 21 * 2 garlic cloves, sliced b, 21 * 1/4 c balsamic vinegar or red wine b, 21 * black pepper b, 21 * 1 red onion, cut into strips b, 21 * salt b, 21 * 1/4 c cilantro, sliced b, 21 * 2 tbsps lime or lemon juice b, 21b, 21# Step #1 Place the cut meat in a bowl or dish & season it with salt, pepper and little bit balsamic vinegar or red whine and let it marinateb, 21# Step #2 Saute garlic on high heat for a couple of seconds in oil & add meat and saute until meat is slightly undercooked and properly sealed.b, 21# Step #3 Remove the meat from the dish b, 21# Step #4 Add red onions, green onions, tomatoes & peppers to the wok or pan and stir fry until tomatoes soften and onion is slighty cooked (about 2-3 minutes)b, 21# Step #5 Add lemon/lime juice to vegetables and put the meat back inb, 21# Step #6 Cook for about 1 more minute and then add cilantrob, 21# Step #7 Serve with white rice.b, 21b, 21This is also really good when served with Chicha Morada juice.b, 21b, 21

• yummy!!!!

• eating this curry nowb, 21b, 21AWUUUUUUUUUUT

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Uhhhhhhhh - I ate a giant bowl of gnocchi slathered in burnt garlic tomato sauce and a bunch of wine last night and now I don't feel so good.