h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21Something I totally forgot to mention yesterday is eliminating using throw-away coffee cups. They are not recyclable and as much as I cringe when I see those stupid travellers' mugs hanging off the back of backpacks, I've started to use one for my take-out coffee. Paper and styrofoam cups are just as bad, if not worse, as plastic bags for waste and landfills. Toronto is kinda-sorta on the verge of charging for all plastic bags and they were going to for coffee cups but unfortunately backed off. It's just not that hard to rinse out those mugs and carry it over to your coffee place.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21yeah, the neo-hippie/anarchist/communist/crust-punks who serve me my coffee guilted me into getting a reusable mug and i'm glad they did.
    b, 21
    b, 21with you on the canvas bags too.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21On that tip, I have written Dunkin Donuts a few e-mails urging them to ditch the Styrofoam and at least go paper, but gotten no response. One time I went into one of their stores and inquired about buying a reusable mug. I was ready to pay but they wouldn't let me fill up that same cup with their coffee. It was one of those WTF moments and I decided to decline the entire purchase.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21all the independent coffee shops around here give me a discount for using a mug. yet another reason to shop those kinda places instead of the Dunkin kinda places whenever possible.

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    One of the worst places for excessive packaging is Costco. They'll package a tiny as little usb drive or something in a 5'X5' armor of plastic that takes a ban saw just to cut through. I know it's to prevent shoplifting but F*ck, think of something a little better than that; like say maybe a glass case? Or temporary packaging that they can take off once you buy it; and then they can reuse it (like those CD tray things they make so you can't jack CDs). Just something else, please.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21One of the worst places for excessive packaging is Costco. They'll package a tiny as little usb drive or something in a 5'X5' armor of plastic that takes a ban saw just to cut through. I know it's to prevent shoplifting but F*ck, think of something a little better than that; like say maybe a glass case? Or temporary packaging that they can take off once you buy it; and then they can reuse it (like those CD tray things they make so you can't jack CDs). Just something else, please.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Im always slicing my hands open on those plastic containers. Let's sue.

• is there any practical way to open those godforsaken things???? jesus christ!!!

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    anyone ever done the math on living with a bunch of polyvinyl chloride tubes stacked on your living room's walls?

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21anyone ever done the math on living with a bunch of polyvinyl chloride tubes stacked on your living room's walls?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21ok first of all why are there pvc tubes stacked on the wall? some new insulation technique?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21The other day I drove to my friend's house instead of biking 20 minutes. It was nice. I didn't even feel that guilty.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21What on earth do you have to feel guilty about?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21I burned unnecessary gas. And my driving endangers innocent lives.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Burning unnecessary gas = bad, but are you that bad a driver that you endanger innocent lives just by driving? If so, please don't drive ever.

• The thing that I've had the biggest trouble doing is having the discipline to not buy food that had been shipped from halfway across the world. To illustrate my point:b, 21b, 21yesterday I was at the grocery store, and saw some delicious looking blueberries all filled with antioxidants and shit. i wanted them. i wanted them bad. but then i saw they had been imported from chile (maybe bolivia). i knew i shouldn't have bought them, but hell, there's no local blueberry farms down here!b, 21b, 21so i bought the blueberries. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/WHYMUSTICRY.gif" alt="" 21

• Somebody handed me a flyer for a club event and mentioned it was a "green" flyer. I threw it on the ground and said, "not anymore."

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    the carbon footprint issue isn't as cut and dry as you'd like to think. Distance isn't everything....b, 21b, 21a href="http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/02/25/080225fa_fact_specter" target="_blank"1http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/02/25/080225fa_fact_specter/a1b, 21b, 21gas burners are actually quite inefficient, worst than electric, albeit the difference is small. The most efficient being induction, but those things ain't cheap.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Wish they were charging a lot more for the plastic bags, but still - good start!b, 21b, 21_____________________________________b, 21b, 21b, 21cbc.cab, 21b, 21Toronto has approved a controversial decision that will force consumers to pay for plastic shopping bags.b, 21b, 21The five-cent-a-bag charge will take effect on June 1.b, 21b, 21Doug Holyday, one of the councillors who voted against the move, said it should be seen for what it is ??? another tax imposed by City Hall.b, 21b, 21"We've done nothing but increase costs around here. It's been mentioned about all the water increases, the tax increases and the new taxes. We've got to quit doing that. We've got to come up with some concrete solutions here that don't raise taxes, that make us more efficient."b, 21b, 21Council also voted to ban the sale of water in plastic bottles at City Hall and civic centres. The ban will be extended to other city property by 2011.b, 21b, 21Lobbyists for the bottled water industry tried to delay the ban.b, 21b, 21But Coun. Gord Perks said any move to postpone the change would have been irresponsible and unnecessary.b, 21b, 21"It is astonishing to me that people would actually argue in this council that there is some great privation out there, some tremendous risk that we are creating, some lack of freedom of choice in terms of access to bottled water. Shame on you if you fall for that argument."b, 21b, 21City council also called on food-service retailers to develop reusable or refillable takeout containers by December 2010.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21One of the worst places for excessive packaging is Costco. They'll package a tiny as little usb drive or something in a 5'X5' armor of plastic that takes a ban saw just to cut through. I know it's to prevent shoplifting but F*ck, think of something a little better than that; like say maybe a glass case? Or temporary packaging that they can take off once you buy it; and then they can reuse it (like those CD tray things they make so you can't jack CDs). Just something else, please.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Im always slicing my hands open on those plastic containers. Let's sue.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Buy from Amazon.com you sissy.b, 21b, 21a href="http://www.amazon.com/Packaging-Videos-Green/b/ref=amb_link_7494472_2?ie=UTF8&node=1234279011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=157XF4KBGYBPN87KVT1W&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=461517501&pf_rd_i=1000276271" target="_blank"1http://www.amazon.com/Packaging-Videos-G...rd_i=1000276271/a1

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21City council also called on food-service retailers to develop reusable or refillable takeout containers by December 2010.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21good