b, 21
    b, 21-we don't eat meat
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21huh, i didn't know that. this a recent development?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21No term for it, but other than the cheese we have on our pasta, Man is vegan (including no leather goods whatsoever) and I eat fish/seafood, nothing else...why I didn't write that I am vegetarian. That is recent, up to about three or four years ago, I was vegetarian.
    b, 21
    b, 21Edit - different uses of the word meat I guess...?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21I worked for a vegetarian magazine for a year after college and they commissioned surveys about meat intake in general population. definitely a lot of people have different ideas about what "meat" means... to some people it's just red meat, to some everything but fish, to some any flesh whatsoever.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21mango meat?b, 21b, 21where is the cutoff point.....?b, 21b, 21weve been here before

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    when weighing installation cost versus energy-bill savings (i.e. eliminating the "do the right thing" factor) does converting to solar make less sense the further north you get? i.e. would someone in toronto "capture" substantially less energy in the wintertime than someone in, say, Atlanta?

• meh, splitting hairs.b, 21i got a friend who is strict vegetarian.b, 21he calls me a fake when he hears that i was a guest at one of my students' homes and i had a piece of chicken that was put in front of me. or that i tried chicken grown on a small organic farm.b, 21b, 21ive had virtually no meat consumption for 13 years, i rarely buy fish for myself (but i'll gladly eat when offered), and i eat cheese every day. do i not meet certain official vegetarian criteria? who gives a F*ck. i live my life, am very conscious of my eating, but im not a rigid zealot.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21-we don't eat meat
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21No term for it, but other than the cheese we have on our pasta, Man is vegan (including no leather goods whatsoever) and I eat fish/seafood, nothing else...why I didn't write that I am vegetarian. That is recent, up to about three or four years ago, I was vegetarian.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21I worked for a vegetarian magazine for a year after college and they commissioned surveys about meat intake in general population. definitely a lot of people have different ideas about what "meat" means... to some people it's just red meat, to some everything but fish, to some any flesh whatsoever.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21mango meat?
    b, 21
    b, 21where is the cutoff point.....?
    b, 21
    b, 21weve been here before
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I believe the cutoff point is: "Did it used to have a face?"

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I would rather die than go on living in a world where I couldn't eat steak!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21Umm, okay. Your life is sad.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21HA HA HA HA HA!b, 21b, 21 Your Life

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21when weighing installation cost versus energy-bill savings (i.e. eliminating the "do the right thing" factor) does converting to solar make less sense the further north you get? i.e. would someone in toronto "capture" substantially less energy in the wintertime than someone in, say, Atlanta?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21It would depend if we had substantially less sunny days in the winter - I don't know off-hand. I would guess for places where it rains a lot all year round(Vancouver) it would be more of an issue?

• yeah heads is weird man. i've seen it within the past couple of years where folls were saying they were veg but ate fish, chicken. that's stupid. i haven't had any type of "meat" for 8 years, and dairy for the most part [due to my body rejecting it] for about 3. yet people call me vegan. those words are just thrown out all over the place these days.b, 21b, 21b, 21p.s.b, 21f*ck what you heard, i eat eggs. NOT meat. hold me down on that zygote over easy on wheat. pass that cholula!

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21-we don't eat meat
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21mango meat?
    b, 21
    b, 21where is the cutoff point.....?
    b, 21
    b, 21weve been here before
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21i hear you. their whole thing was making sure they understood what their numbers meant and used them accurately. so when something like 15% of the people polled said "i am a vegetarian," to their credit they didn't use that number as anything other than "15% identify as vegetarian" -- since follow-up questions showed many of those people regularly ate flesh of some kind.b, 21b, 21personally, I think anyone who even reduces their meat consumption is doing something positive for themselves and maybe even for the "big picture" and I don't care how they choose to label or not label themselves.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21when weighing installation cost versus energy-bill savings (i.e. eliminating the "do the right thing" factor) does converting to solar make less sense the further north you get? i.e. would someone in toronto "capture" substantially less energy in the wintertime than someone in, say, Atlanta?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21It would depend if we had substantially less sunny days in the winter - I don't know off-hand. I would guess for places where it rains a lot all year round(Vancouver) it would be more of an issue?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I'm thinking you might have slighly less sunny days and also slightly shorter days in the winter, right? but unsure if those differences would really impact your ability to live off those panels.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21im no expert,but theres obviously a correlation. doesnt make much sense in the southwest or socal to not have solar thermal on the roof. but even more important is sun exposure...if youre spot is stuck between buildings, or obscured by enormous trees, its gonna drastically reduce the sun you can use. even in winter, the sun is still out. generally, the coldest days are the clearest (which is good for solar) and overcast winter days are not as cold. best thing to do is contact a solar provider in your area...they most likely have a website with FAQ on it that address those concerns first. philly gets cold as F*ck for 4-5 months and its worthwhile to do it here.b, 21b, 21long story short, its still worth looking into solar up north. b, 21b, 21keep in mind, differentiate between solar thermal and photo-voltaic.b, 21b, 21and passive solar, where possible is ideal

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21personally, I think anyone who even reduces their meat consumption is doing something positive for themselves and maybe even for the "big picture" and I don't care how they choose to label or not label themselves.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21america's meat consumption has sky rocketed since the 50s. b, 21so has our intake of processed foodb, 21as well as diet related diseases

• TRIPLEDOUBLE FORCE FED ME TRADER JOES PROCESSED FOODb, 21b, 21(it was veggie)

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21It would depend if we had substantially less sunny days in the winter - I don't know off-hand. I would guess for places where it rains a lot all year round(Vancouver) it would be more of an issue?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21I'm thinking you might have slighly less sunny days and also slightly shorter days in the winter, right? but unsure if those differences would really impact your ability to live off those panels.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Yea...I think it would also depend on what a household's consumption is like. We also do things like unplug/turn off power bars when not in use at my house and have a gas stove, no dishwasher and watch about two hours of TV a day - if that. Given that we'll paying for it now, I think we will be watching our energy consumption even more!! Ideally, one would be able to store it from summer to use in the winter.b, 21b, 21edit - and our sun exposure is GREAT! I wouldn't write it off - not that you are - but I think how good of an idea it is would depend from household to household.

• I recycle everything I can, shop and eat local products, bike when possible, and while I'm not a vegetarian, I live a vegetarian lifestyle.b, 21b, 21I also turn out the lights, and try not to waste water.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Living Green is the new Fitness Craze.......America is even more obese than before.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21dismissing environmental conciousness as a "craze" is the new dismissing healthy living as a "craze."....and yet both are really good ideas for everyone involved.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21U sound fat
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21that makes no sense.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21I'm thinking you might have slighly less sunny days and also slightly shorter days in the winter, right? but unsure if those differences would really impact your ability to live off those panels.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Yea...I think it would also depend on what a household's consumption is like. We also do things like unplug/turn off power bars when not in use at my house and have a gas stove, no dishwasher and watch about two hours of TV a day - if that. Given that we'll paying for it now, I think we will be watching our energy consumption even more!! Ideally, one would be able to store it from summer to use in the winter.
    b, 21
    b, 21edit - and our sun exposure is GREAT! I wouldn't write it off - not that you are - but I think how good of an idea it is would depend from household to household.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21definitely. but different houses can do different things. b, 21b, 21consumption is key. i just bought some appliances...you can have a big impact on energy use if you do a little research. my fridge uses 40% less than most models and it was actually cheaper than most (no, its not a little dorm cube). fridge is one of the biggest energy eaters in the house,btw. i was actually going to skip the clothes dryer and just line dry, but my friends grandparents were getting rid of a 3 year old model, so i got one for the price of a bottle of wine. i'll try to minimize its use.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Living Green is the new Fitness Craze.......America is even more obese than before.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21dismissing environmental conciousness as a "craze" is the new dismissing healthy living as a "craze."....and yet both are really good ideas for everyone involved.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21U sound fat
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21that makes no sense.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Yeah, LF usually doesn't make sense. But give him credit, he tries really hard to get a rise out of people.

• yo for real, a lot of the actions we can take might be negligible...but like a lot of things, you shop with your wallet and you actions until there is a critical mass of people doing the same thing.b, 21but least we forget, energy costs, food costs, general living is probably not going to get cheaper in the coming lean years, so its good to take stock and plan ahead.b, 21b, 21basic formula is save energy=save money

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21U sound fat
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21that makes no sense.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Yeah, LF usually doesn't make sense. But give him credit, he tries really hard to get a rise out of people.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I come from the Crying Indian No Pollution generation - The Help Woodsie spread the word generation. It's No Easy Being Green Steez.b, 21b, 21And I remember when Jogging was exotic.b, 21b, 21Over the years Low fat foods and Working Out have become American staples yet Obesity is at a all time high.b, 21b, 21Im all for living Green and shit, but American Consumption is still out of hand despite the media's Go Green efforts.b, 21b, 21New generations embrace progressive ideas yet shit aint no better.b, 21b, 21Im equating the Fitness craze w/ the Go Green Craze because of the results.b, 21b, 21 img src="http://www.insidesocal.com/bargain/BlackFridayScene.jpg"1 b, 21b, 21Ill be the asshole here.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21 Ill play some Al Green real loud once a month.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif" alt="" 21

• fox...its a consumer culture through and through...for mainstream to accept/understand some things, they gotta be able to purchase it. b, 21b, 21is it bad that walmart carries organic foods and that the organic requirements got watered down? maybe...but it has also raised a lot of awareness about food production and has kept tons of chemical pollutants out of the environment. so, all in all, fad = yes, net gain= also yes

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21The other day I drove to my friend's house instead of biking 20 minutes. It was nice. I didn't even feel that guilty.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21What on earth do you have to feel guilty about?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I burned unnecessary gas. And my driving endangers innocent lives.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    "We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."b, 21b, 21Sometimes I think that no matter what we do, we're going to deplete the world's resources eventually, whether it be 50 years from now or 500 years from now. Is it too much of a stretch to think of this "green living craze" as a prolonging of the earth's death? b, 21b, 21Maybe the religious folk are right about millenialism and this is the end of days and Christ will come. And I will sit in hell thinking that I spent my life being protein deficient for the sake of animals who were doomed anyway.b, 21b, 21I'm cynical, but I still recycle. ; )

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Yea...I think it would also depend on what a household's consumption is like. We also do things like unplug/turn off power bars when not in use at my house and have a gas stove, no dishwasher and watch about two hours of TV a day - if that. Given that we'll paying for it now, I think we will be watching our energy consumption even more!! Ideally, one would be able to store it from summer to use in the winter.
    b, 21
    b, 21edit - and our sun exposure is GREAT! I wouldn't write it off - not that you are - but I think how good of an idea it is would depend from household to household.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21oh, definitely not writing it off. i dream of equipping a house w/ solar panels. right now i'm a renter, tho, so that dream is a long way off. make it happen for the rest of us, bassie! b, 21b, 21img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/green30sv.gif" alt="" 21

I'm going to try! It's in the three year plan anyway. Right now I have to deal with a bathroom sink that won't drain and how to effectively drain the eavestrough at the back of the house without it streaming back towards the basement and eroding the wall.b, 21b, 21Something I totally forgot to mention yesterday is eliminating using throw-away coffee cups. They are not recyclable and as much as I cringe when I see those stupid travellers' mugs hanging off the back of backpacks, I've started to use one for my take-out coffee. Paper and styrofoam cups are just as bad, if not worse, as plastic bags for waste and landfills. Toronto is kinda-sorta on the verge of charging for all plastic bags and they were going to for coffee cups but unfortunately backed off. It's just not that hard to rinse out those mugs and carry it over to your coffee place.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21Something I totally forgot to mention yesterday is eliminating using throw-away coffee cups. They are not recyclable and as much as I cringe when I see those stupid travellers' mugs hanging off the back of backpacks, I've started to use one for my take-out coffee. Paper and styrofoam cups are just as bad, if not worse, as plastic bags for waste and landfills. Toronto is kinda-sorta on the verge of charging for all plastic bags and they were going to for coffee cups but unfortunately backed off. It's just not that hard to rinse out those mugs and carry it over to your coffee place.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21yeah, the neo-hippie/anarchist/communist/crust-punks who serve me my coffee guilted me into getting a reusable mug and i'm glad they did. b, 21b, 21with you on the canvas bags too.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21Something I totally forgot to mention yesterday is eliminating using throw-away coffee cups. They are not recyclable and as much as I cringe when I see those stupid travellers' mugs hanging off the back of backpacks, I've started to use one for my take-out coffee. Paper and styrofoam cups are just as bad, if not worse, as plastic bags for waste and landfills. Toronto is kinda-sorta on the verge of charging for all plastic bags and they were going to for coffee cups but unfortunately backed off. It's just not that hard to rinse out those mugs and carry it over to your coffee place.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21yeah, the neo-hippie/anarchist/communist/crust-punks who serve me my coffee guilted me into getting a reusable mug and i'm glad they did.
    b, 21
    b, 21with you on the canvas bags too.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21On that tip, I have written Dunkin Donuts a few e-mails urging them to ditch the Styrofoam and at least go paper, but gotten no response. One time I went into one of their stores and inquired about buying a reusable mug. I was ready to pay but they wouldn't let me fill up that same cup with their coffee. It was one of those WTF moments and I decided to decline the entire purchase.

• i remember sportcasual telling me he used compostable cups and utensils in his brooklyn locale. but the tricky thing is, if you throw it in the trash, it defeats the purpose. for that there has to be a composting can next to the recycling bins. im not wild about using corn and soy based products for making more products, but it is another approach

• my local co-op doesnt buy plastic bags, but members drop off bags they save...so there are always bags on hand and a site foe people to save and drop them off. works well

• I agree to the extent that there is just way too much garbage. Everything comes individually wrapped and packaged and repackaged and then handled with plastic gloves and put in a plastic bag and all of it ends up stuck in the fences on the side of the Cross Bronx Expressway.