Living green?

AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
Is anyone making a conscious effort to live a more sustainable life?b, 21b, 21I bike whenever I can (easy when you don't have a car).b, 21I recently threw an event with a popular local band and had a canvas bag giveaway to promote plastic waste reduction. Successful event, but I don't know if the earth is a better place because of it.b, 21I print double sided, and write quizzes and stuff on the back of old papers. No complaints from professors yet.b, 21I use those earth-friendly light bulbs. Force my apartment-mates to recycle. Don't eat meat. b, 21b, 21I do what I can, but it feels like nothing. The things I do wrong probably cancel out the things I do right. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yaoming.gif" alt="" 21

Comments

• I try to reduce, reuse and recycle. and I buy allegedly earth-friendly cleaning products. I do drive a lot though; I love driving.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    Recycling everything we can. Cycle to work when it's light enough and warm enough to not risk my health.b, 21b, 21I dunno about not eating meat - I mean, a cow produces a whole heap of methane, so we are probably better off without them.b, 21b, 21Ants are the next biggest methane-culprit, but I am not so keen on their nutty texture.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    The other day I drove to my friend's house instead of biking 20 minutes. It was nice. I didn't even feel that guilty.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21The other day I drove to my friend's house instead of biking 20 minutes. It was nice. I didn't even feel that guilty.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21You can always drive 200 miles to burn some lino outside a nursery if you want more guilt.

• trying to. i try to be conscientious about every decision i make. im not feeling trying to be some preachy martyr who condemns others for doing shit, but i am looking for viable options that add to my quality of life and move more in step with nature.b, 21b, 21i think the areas of biggest impact are probably:b, 211.housingb, 212.food consumption (reducing meat consumption is easily the greenest step anyone can take)b, 213.transportation (this is real tricky since a lot of areas of the country are set up only for getting around by car. i live in philly where biking is completely practical)b, 214.general consumption habits b, 215.reproduction (if every couple just had one kid, it would eventually lead to population decline, two kids is kinda like the break even point)

• Living Green is the new Fitness Craze.......America is even more obese than before.b, 21b, 21But I'm aware. Ill play some Al Green real loud once a month.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Living Green is the new Fitness Craze.......America is even more obese than before.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21dismissing environmental conciousness as a "craze" is the new dismissing healthy living as a "craze."....and yet both are really good ideas for everyone involved.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Is anyone making a conscious effort to live a more sustainable life?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I'm definitely trying more. I've pretty much always used mass transit for my commute, but I've been getting better at cutting down driving even more. I walk to the grocery store with one of those snazzy grocery totes, try to figure out ways of accomplish errands that use less--or even no--driving, all that good stuff.b, 21b, 21I find the environmental argument of going veggie to be dubious at best, but I have become pretty damn diligent about only supporting sustainable cattle ranchers.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21The other day I drove to my friend's house instead of biking 20 minutes. It was nice. I didn't even feel that guilty.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21What on earth do you have to feel guilty about?

• I don't flush the toilet.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21I find the environmental argument of going veggie to be dubious at best,
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21how is that?b, 21b, 21i'm not necessarily advocating giving up meat, but reducing ones consumption is a big step toward reducing ones environmental impacts...especially beef.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21I find the environmental argument of going veggie to be dubious at best,
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21how is that?
    b, 21
    b, 21i'm not necessarily advocating giving up meat, but reducing ones consumption is a big step toward reducing ones environmental impacts...especially beef.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Well, it rests on some faulty assumptions, chief among them that all cattle ranching is equal and that all we use cows for is beef. There are plenty of good arguments for going veggie (or at least moving in that direction), but the environmental one is, to me, pretty weak. But if you want to talk about moving cattle ranching en masse toward more sustainable practices, I am absolutely in favor of that.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21 but the environmental one is, to me, pretty weak.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21plaese elaborate

• I would rather die than go on living in a world where I couldn't eat steak!b, 21b, 21img src="http://cache.valleywag.com/assets/resources/2008/05/Peter_Lugers.jpg"1

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Living Green is the new Fitness Craze.......America is even more obese than before.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21dismissing environmental conciousness as a "craze" is the new dismissing healthy living as a "craze."....and yet both are really good ideas for everyone involved.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21U sound fat

• "Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival on earth as much as the evolution of a vegetarian diet." -Albert Einstein

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I don't even know what really makes a difference anymore. The way I see some people live and consume, I don't think all the canvas bags and water/vinegar cleaning will do a damn thing. b, 21b, 21At this point, this is just how we live and if it makes the tiniest bit of difference, cool. I hope next year, it will make a little more of a difference and so on...b, 21b, 21-we don't take plastic bagsb, 21-we don't own a clothes dryerb, 21-we don't use major cleaning solutionsb, 21-we don't eat meatb, 21-stopped buying water in plastic bottlesb, 21-we try to buy local as much as possibleb, 21-lights get shut off when leaving the roomb, 21-all bulbs are that high-efficiency stuffb, 21-I print everything double-sided at work and print on blank sides of thrown out stuff for drafts, internal hand-outs, etc.b, 21-water gets shut-off when brushing teeth and in the summer, when not rinsing off in the showerb, 21-showers are about 10 minutes long (unless I'm washing my hair)b, 21-try to buy recyled products or those that contain it as much as possibleb, 21-try to be mindful of waste - we produce about one garbage bag per monthb, 21-don't litterb, 21-the city composts, but we got one in the backyard, toob, 21-Man drives but has an extremely fuel-efficient car

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival on earth as much as the evolution of a vegetarian diet." -Albert Einstein
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21What the F*ck does he know.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I'm trying:b, 21b, 21--don't own a car; walk to work, ride public transport elsewhereb, 21--buy local and ideally organic produce, grow some veggies myselfb, 21--been vegetarian for 15+ yrsb, 21--buy most clothes used except shoes, socks, and underwearb, 21--recycle/reuse as much as possibleb, 21--unplug appliances when not in useb, 21--reduced electricity, water, and heat usage substantially over last few yrsb, 21--use rechargable batteries for all my remotesb, 21b, 21wish I did more, I agree with the first post in that everything I do makes me feel not so much like I'm doing positive things but just that I'm doing slightly less negative things than the average person.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21-we don't eat meat
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21huh, i didn't know that. this a recent development?

• oh not much, just a little about science and math.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21-we don't eat meat
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21huh, i didn't know that. this a recent development?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21No term for it, but other than the cheese we have on our pasta, Man is vegan (including no leather goods whatsoever) and I eat fish/seafood, nothing else...why I didn't write that I am vegetarian. That is recent, up to about three or four years ago, I was vegetarian.b, 21b, 21Edit - different uses of the word meat I guess...?

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21-we don't take plastic bags
    b, 21-we don't own a clothes dryer
    b, 21-we don't use major cleaning solutions
    b, 21-we don't eat meat
    b, 21-stopped buying water in plastic bottles
    b, 21-we try to buy local as much as possible
    b, 21-lights get shut off when leaving the room
    b, 21-all bulbs are that high-efficiency stuff
    b, 21-I print everything double-sided at work and print on blank sides of thrown out stuff for drafts, internal hand-outs, etc.
    b, 21-water gets shut-off when brushing teeth and in the summer, when not rinsing off in the shower
    b, 21-showers are about 10 minutes long (unless I'm washing my hair)
    b, 21-try to buy recyled products or those that contain it as much as possible
    b, 21-try to be mindful of waste - we produce about one garbage bag per month
    b, 21-don't litter
    b, 21-the city composts, but we got one in the backyard, too
    b, 21-Man drives but has an extremely fuel-efficient car
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21^^^ puffs from di chalice she fi make from a sprite can ^^^b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21...then recycles it

• bassie, onetet...yall are on point. changing habits, recycling and related daily actions dont necessarily have great impacts, but they are probably the easiest things for others to pick up on. the more people do these things, the more conscious they will be of all their actions/impacts. recycling can be considered the green gateway drug.b, 21b, 21i slowly started picking up little habits that i dont even think about now. and i feel great doing a dozen things every day that are in step with my values.b, 21b, 21i'm on year 6 of a ten year plan to lead a (soemwhat) sustainable existence in a big city. so far, on course.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21i'm on year 6 of a ten year plan to lead a
    (soemwhat) sustainable existence in a big city[/b]. so far, on course. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21if this includes solar panels - I need to pick your brain.b, 21b, 21given we just bought a place, I'd love to hear what you're doing becasue I know it's possible.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21skiddle-dee diddle-dee whooooaaaooo-oh.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21LOL. JAH! RAStafarianism. b, 21b, 21when people try to paint me as soft by asking if i'm vegetarian, i say "yes...and i'll still beat your ass."b, 21b, 21i eat lots of cheese, some fish and i'll dip into the meats on occasion img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pasue23is.gif" alt="" 21 if its grown in a reassuring manner (wild boar roast in italy related)

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21-we don't take plastic bags
    b, 21-we don't own a clothes dryer
    b, 21-we don't use major cleaning solutions
    b, 21-we don't eat meat
    b, 21-stopped buying water in plastic bottles
    b, 21-we try to buy local as much as possible
    b, 21-lights get shut off when leaving the room
    b, 21-all bulbs are that high-efficiency stuff
    b, 21-I print everything double-sided at work and print on blank sides of thrown out stuff for drafts, internal hand-outs, etc.
    b, 21-water gets shut-off when brushing teeth and in the summer, when not rinsing off in the shower
    b, 21-showers are about 10 minutes long (unless I'm washing my hair)
    b, 21-try to buy recyled products or those that contain it as much as possible
    b, 21-try to be mindful of waste - we produce about one garbage bag per month
    b, 21-don't litter
    b, 21-the city composts, but we got one in the backyard, too
    b, 21-Man drives but has an extremely fuel-efficient car
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21^^^ puffs from di chalice she fi make from a sprite can ^^^
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21...then recycles it
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21lol...look again - I wrote that I shower

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I dunno about not eating meat - I mean, a cow produces a whole heap of methane, so we are probably better off without them.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21Eating meat wouldn't decrease methane production, if anything it would probably increase it based on the fact that if people are eating it there will be more created. I think the meat/dairy industry is a HUGE source of pollution. I don't eat meat but I do eat dairy which makes me guilty still. I think the only way to get rid of the bovine pollutants would be to stop eating meat and dairy altogether. Cows have become so inbred and rebred that if man stopped creating them they'd probably die off on their own, IMO.b, 21b, 21"When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University"b, 21b, 21/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I would rather die than go on living in a world where I couldn't eat steak!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21Umm, okay. Your life is sad.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21-we don't eat meat
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21huh, i didn't know that. this a recent development?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21No term for it, but other than the cheese we have on our pasta, Man is vegan (including no leather goods whatsoever) and I eat fish/seafood, nothing else...why I didn't write that I am vegetarian. That is recent, up to about three or four years ago, I was vegetarian.
    b, 21
    b, 21Edit - different uses of the word meat I guess...?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I worked for a vegetarian magazine for a year after college and they commissioned surveys about meat intake in general population. definitely a lot of people have different ideas about what "meat" means... to some people it's just red meat, to some everything but fish, to some any flesh whatsoever.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21i'm on year 6 of a ten year plan to lead a
    (soemwhat) sustainable existence in a big city[/b]. so far, on course. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21if this includes solar panels - I need to pick your brain.
    b, 21
    b, 21given we just bought a place, I'd love to hear what you're doing becasue I know it's possible.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21well, first is solar thermal (the water heaters). MUCH cheaper to get installed (2-3 grand),and the payback can be about 5 years. i plan on hooking that up next fall (expect a big setsale and ebays). it will tie into my hot water, which also heats the house (radiant). b, 21b, 21pv (the electric) can be very steep, but there are ways to get it done cheaper. some companies will put pv on your roof almost free and you buy electric from them...i like that idea, but i'd like to be independent of outside agencies. i eel that the tech should really start getting the electric within economic range of small residences in the next few years. nanosolar is a company to watch.b, 21b, 21the absolute first step though is going all out with insulation. i started with a shell, so there wasnt much difficulty getting that in place. next, figuring out what you can do with sun orientation. i actually bought my crib based on its sun exposure, so we'll see what i can get done with that.b, 21b, 21i'll shutthefuckup now, i could go on forever about this stuff.b, 21but feel free to hit me on the pms