Black Friday trampling - WTF?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
a href=http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/29/business/29walmart.html?_r=11"Wal-Mart Employee Trampled to Death by Customers"/a1

Comments

• Every year during Black Friday something like this occurs. Very sad actually.

• And it wasn't at Macy's, it was at a Wal-Mart.b, 21b, 21Here I was thinking this was going to be some parody in the Onion...

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    CNN just reported 2 people shot and killed this morning at the Toys R Us we take our kids to.b, 21b, 21a href="http://www.kesq.com/global/story.asp?s=9427148" target="_blank"1http://www.kesq.com/global/story.asp?s=9427148/a1

• Options
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    a href=http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/29/business/29walmart.html?_r=11"Wal-Mart Employee Trampled to Death by Customers"
    /a1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21This happened 20 minutes from my house. Local news reported that the crowds were pushing so hard against the doors that the metal frames were bent. b, 21b, 21My mom told me earlier about this, and added "they had to close the store!". She's funny like that.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21"they had to close the store!"
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Now there's the real tragedy. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/WHYMUSTICRY.gif" alt="" 21

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    So, should Wal-Mart be held liable for encouraging people to line up outside the store?

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    shit like this is just infuriating. what the F*ck is wrong with people?

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21shit like this is just infuriating. what the F*ck is wrong with people?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21It's damn depressing. Infinitely removed from the so-called holiday spirit. Walking over a dead body to get to a flat screen.

• kubkub 46 Posts
    consume!consume!consume!b, 21b, 21b, 21p.s.: that's an order img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="" 21

• Options
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21"they had to close the store!"
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Now there's the real tragedy.
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/WHYMUSTICRY.gif" alt="" 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21As it turned out, they reopened the place a short time later. b, 21b, 21On the news last night it said people were pushing police out of the way WHILE THEY WERE PERFORMING CPR.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21So, should Wal-Mart be held liable for encouraging people to line up outside the store?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21The liability is more likely to be around a failure to provide adequate security. b, 21b, 21By the way, this thing is already taking on racial dimensions (some are suggesting the majority of the crowd was Black, which I haven't found reliable confirmation of but the rumors are out there). b, 21b, 21So much for a post-racial America!

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21So, should Wal-Mart be held liable for encouraging people to line up outside the store?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21The liability is more likely to be around a failure to provide adequate security.
    b, 21
    b, 21By the way, this thing is already taking on racial dimensions (some are suggesting the majority of the crowd was Black, which I haven't found reliable confirmation of but the rumors are out there).
    b, 21
    b, 21So much for a post-racial America!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21That's a pretty disgusting sentiment.

• Options
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21The liability is more likely to be around a failure to provide adequate security.
    b, 21
    b, 21By the way, this thing is already taking on racial dimensions (some are suggesting the majority of the crowd was Black, which I haven't found reliable confirmation of but the rumors are out there).
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21Green Acres mall isn't the most upscale shopping experience available on Long Island. They are right on the Queens border and attract a lower income clientele. I'm trying to be somewhat politically correct, but the truth is that Green Acres is a shithole and more commonly referred to as Black Acres. There were several other early morning Black Friday sales available that day, a couple of other WalMarts too, and I would lay money down as to where the white people were and where the black people were. That's how Long Island is, I doubt we're alone in that either.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21Green Acres mall isn't the most upscale shopping experience available on Long Island. They are right on the Queens border and attract a lower income clientele. I'm trying to be somewhat politically correct, but the truth is that Green Acres is a shithole and more commonly referred to as Black Acres. There were several other early morning Black Friday sales available that day, a couple of other WalMarts too, and I would lay money down as to where the white people were and where the black people were. That's how Long Island is, I doubt we're alone in that either.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21We celebrate Brown Friday.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21The preferred euphemism is "inner-city liberals."

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21Green Acres mall isn't the most upscale shopping experience available on Long Island. They are right on the Queens border and attract a lower income clientele. I'm trying to be somewhat politically correct, but the truth is that Green Acres is a shithole and more commonly referred to as Black Acres. There were several other early morning Black Friday sales available that day, a couple of other WalMarts too, and I would lay money down as to where the white people were and where the black people were. That's how Long Island is, I doubt we're alone in that either.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Sween,b, 21 As a kid in Brooklyn a trip to Green Acres was a big deal....was the first "Shopping Center" in the area and when it was new it was pretty upscale for the day. 40+ years later I can only imagine the shithole it has become.b, 21b, 21 So black folks are idiots too and did their best Who Concert imitation trying to save $100 bucks on an X-Box....what's "racial" or shocking about that??

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21CNN just reported 2 people shot and killed this morning at the Toys R Us we take our kids to.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    /a1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21There has been a misunderstanding here. They were actually filming 'Jingle all the way 2: buy harder"b, 21b, 21img src="http://mimg.sulekha.com/arnold-schwarzenegger/stills/Arnold Schwarzenegger33.jpg"1

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21There has been a misunderstanding here. They were actually filming 'Jingle all the way 2: buy harder"
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21You should start adding this to all your posts:b, 21b, 21object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" width="335" height="28" id="divplaylist"1param name="movie" value="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=5966405-577" 21embed src="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=5966405-577" width="335" height="28" name="divplaylist" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"1/embed1/object1b, 21b, 21That way, people can tell you are supposed to be funny.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    you fucking tool.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21you fu
    cking tool. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21much better ...

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21[You should start adding this to all your posts:
    b, 21
    b, 21
    object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" width="335" height="28" id="divplaylist"1
    embed src="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=5966405-577" width="335" height="28" name="divplaylist" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"1
    /embed1
    /object1
    b, 21
    b, 21That way, people can tell you are supposed to be funny.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/son.gif" alt="" 21

• SLAM

• Options
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Sween,
    b, 21 As a kid in Brooklyn a trip to Green Acres was a big deal....was the first "Shopping Center" in the area and when it was new it was pretty upscale for the day. 40+ years later I can only imagine the shithole it has become.
    b, 21
    b, 21 So black folks are idiots too and did their best Who Concert imitation trying to save $100 bucks on an X-Box....what's "racial" or shocking about that??
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21I don't know, I guess I'm missing something in the coverage of the story.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Every year during Black Friday something like this occurs.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21i can't imagine dying in a way where the last thing i see is my hand reaching for something i intend to purchase.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Ay yo, on a somewhat related note, my wife and I were at the luxury outlet stores in Cabazon near Palm Springs. I swear that 85% of the shoppers were Chinese...not Chinese American, but straight up mainland Chinese. They were lined up at all the expensive stores like Gucci, Burberry, Prada, etc. I'm glad that they're keeping the wheels of the economy moving, but damn!

• maniacal idiots killing someone for the opportunity to give wal mart their money for some plastic bullshit...beyond sad, beyond pathtetic, beyond animal....

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Every year during Black Friday something like this occurs.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21i can't imagine dying in a way where the last thing i see is my hand reaching for something i intend to purchase.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I don't think this is actually true if by "something like this" you mean someone gets trampled. b, 21b, 21People act the fool but this is one of the first times I think there's actually been a death involved.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I dunno--I thought I heard the same thing happened (or at least similar) at Macys last year?

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I dunno--I thought I heard the same thing happened (or at least similar) at Macys last year?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Link? I looked and saw nada.b, 21b, 21I think it says a lot that we THINK it's happened before but seriously, I think this is highly unusual in the U.S.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I dunno--I thought I heard the same thing happened (or at least similar) at Macys last year?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Link? I looked and saw nada.
    b, 21
    b, 21I think it says a lot that we THINK it's happened before but seriously, I think this is highly unusual in the U.S.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21yeah, Im looking and can't find it anywhere. I could have sworn that maybe something happens like this almost every year, well, at least the past 5 years?b, 21b, 21I dunno, I feel like I've heard it on the news before. Hm.