area code 615 vs. stone fox chase

PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
b, 21b, 21so I picked up this yesterday on the cheap because i knew the song stone fox chase was hot. Anybody ride for this band and this album. Or just the song stone fox chase. I'll ride for the album. It's pretty unique. Made in 1970 which has to be one of the best years in music IMO.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    They have another record (forget the name - black and white cover w/ photo montage) that has a few cool cuts on it as well.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21They have another record (forget the name - black and white cover w/ photo montage) that has a few cool cuts on it as well. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21self-titledb, 211969

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    checked it out an allmusic.com I'll have to keep an eye open in my travels.

• Quote:h, 21b, 21They have another record (forget the name - black and white cover w/ photo montage) that has a few cool cuts on it as well. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21That's the one I have. I wasn't really feelin' it, although it looked good on paper (Nashville sessionmen free their minds and record whatever the hell they want to). I recently put that album back in my listening pile, to see if it is better than remembered, but at the time I bought it, I just flat didn't "get it."

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    There's like 2 cuts on it that I like, groovy "jams" with some really hard drums - and BANJOS I think too.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    What I remember its the drum and banjo combo that is the appeal of the Self titled album.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Blaxploitation meets the Dukes of Hazard.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Charlie McCoy has a string of records with the same band. b, 21The McCoy records are also good Nashville instrumentals. b, 21b, 21Might be the same band as on that Floyd Cramer record with the break.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21Blaxploitation meets the Dukes of Hazard. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21location alert

• b, 21b, 21my biggest revelation with this LP was "THATS where the "Old Grey Whistle Test" theme comes from!"

• Quote:h, 21b, 21
    Quote:h, 21b, 21Blaxploitation meets the Dukes of Hazard. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21location alert b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21Oddly enough, that's J***s actual physical location....

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21Charlie McCoy has a string of records with the same band. b, 21The McCoy records are also good Nashville instrumentals. b, 21b, 21Might be the same band as on that Floyd Cramer record with the break. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I once read that it was composed of the session musicians who played on Bob Dylan's i1Nashville Skyline[/i].

• Quote:h, 21b, 21Blaxploitation meets the Dukes of Hazard. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21also see: Bad Bascomb

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21
    Quote:h, 21b, 21Charlie McCoy has a string of records with the same band. b, 21The McCoy records are also good Nashville instrumentals. b, 21b, 21Might be the same band as on that Floyd Cramer record with the break. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I once read that it was composed of the session musicians who played on Bob Dylan's i1Nashville Skyline[/i]. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Yeah, I recall reading that playing with Dylan kinda raised their profile beyond that of anonymous Nashville session dudes and is probably why they even made these records.

• Quote:h, 21b, 21Charlie McCoy has a string of records with the same band. b, 21The McCoy records are also good Nashville instrumentals. b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21He had one album on Monument (i1The World Of Charlie McCoy[/i], 1968) that contained quite a few vocals. And it wasn't country, either, it was a Delbert McClinton-ish white soul album, where he's covering "Gimme Some Lovin'", "Fingertips" and other R&B standards. He wasn't half bad in that role, but it was his country instrumental albums (with his harmonica as a lead instrument) that he became known for.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    So who has heard Breakfast Special's cover of The Harder They Come?