tim buckley on th monkees

PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
My brother told me about it. Who knew?b, 21b, 21 song to the siren/a1 b, 21b, 21pretty cool!

Comments

• I did, thanks to the reruns. His guest spot was the last segment on the last episode, at the end of their most psychedelic episode ever, the one where Peter Tork gets hypnotized by a TV test pattern.b, 21b, 21I understand that the Monkees wanted to keep doing surreal episodes like this, with hip guest stars (Frank Zappa was on the show the week before), but NBC wanted them to return to the more conventional eps like they did in their first season, so all agreed to pull the plug.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Maybe its a dumb question to you all...and not something Im dying to know..but I always wondered...who did play the music for the Monkees? Any worthy studio musicians or interesting associations?

• It's been documented on several occasions that they were helped out by, on different sessions, Glen Campbell, Dr. John (then an L.A. sessionman), Buddy Miles, Neil Young, and Earl Palmer. And that's less than half; I'm sure there's WAY more than that.b, 21b, 21Their Headquarters album is the only album, I think, where they played on all the songs from front to back.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21b, 21Their Headquarters album is the only album, I think, where they played on all the songs from front to back. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Strangely, that is by far my favorite Monkees album.b, 21b, 21Or maybe not so strange?b, 21b, 21b, 21You know, I wonder if they used to cut this out of re-runs ofb, 21this episode in the 70's ... I remember seeing that episode whereb, 21Peter gets hyp-mo-tized by the TV test pattern many times, butb, 21don't remember seeing Tim Buckley at all ... maybe I just forget, b, 21but I could also see them just lopping off the "boring" ending inb, 21syndication for the kiddies ...

• Quote:h, 21b, 21
    Quote:h, 21b, 21b, 21Their Headquarters album is the only album, I think, where they played on all the songs from front to back. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Strangely, that is by far my favorite Monkees album.b, 21b, 21Or maybe not so strange?b, 21b, 21b, 21You know, I wonder if they used to cut this out of re-runs ofb, 21this episode in the 70's ... I remember seeing that episode whereb, 21Peter gets hyp-mo-tized by the TV test pattern many times, butb, 21don't remember seeing Tim Buckley at all ... maybe I just forget, b, 21but I could also see them just lopping off the "boring" ending inb, 21syndication for the kiddies ... b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21When I was a kid, I never liked the episodes that didn't have a laugh track. And I must have hated the "TV test pattern" episode the most, 'cause I remember everytime they showed that one, my eight-year-old mind actually wandered. So when I saw the curly-headed guy at the end of the show, I probably thought that was just Micky with a guitar, singing just another Monkees song...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Boom (love it):b, 21b, 21param name="movie" value=""1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Their i1Headquarters[/i] album is the only album, I think, where they played on all the songs from front to back. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21ah so they actually played their instruments. I always had them in the 'partriage family' category, and never really checked them beyond 'mary,mary' and that other song of their (about a train or something like that-cant remember name)....b, 21b, 21I figured they would had some good musos playing for them, didnt expect them to have some heavy weight.... Dr John- F*ck yeah!

Quote:h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Their i1Headquarters[/i] album is the only album, I think, where they played on all the songs from front to back. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21ah so they actually played their instruments. I always had them in the 'partriage family' category, and never really checked them beyond 'mary,mary' and that other song of their (about a train or something like that-cant remember name)....b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21All four of them had some kind of musical background, but when it came time to cut records, producer Don Kirshner insisted on studio musicians. The Monkees had to fight to get on their own records, and everything after i1Headquarters[/i] had at least ONE Monkee playing an instrument.b, 21b, 21
    Quote:h, 21b, 21I figured they would had some good musos playing for them, didnt expect them to have some heavy weight.... Dr John- F*ck yeah! b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I don't think he was even "Dr. John" then, he was just an L.A. studio guy who migrated from New Orleans and was going by his real name, Mac Rebennack.b, 21b, 21Carol Kaye, Earl Palmer and Hal Blaine might be on some of those sessions, too (why not, they were on everybody else's)...

Quote:h, 21b, 21
    Quote:h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Their Headquarters album is the only album, I think, where they played on all the songs from front to back. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21ah so they actually played their instruments. I always had them in the 'partriage family' category, and never really checked them beyond 'mary,mary' and that other song of their (about a train or something like that-cant remember name)....b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21All four of them had some kind of musical background, but when it came time to cut records, producer Don Kirshner insisted on studio musicians. The Monkees had to fight to get on their own records, and everything after Headquarters had at least ONE Monkee playing an instrument.b, 21b, 21
    Quote:h, 21b, 21I figured they would had some good musos playing for them, didnt expect them to have some heavy weight.... Dr John- F*ck yeah! b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I don't think he was even "Dr. John" then, he was just an L.A. studio guy who migrated from New Orleans and was going by his real name, Mac Rebennack.b, 21b, 21Carol Kaye, Earl Palmer and Hal Blaine might be on some of those sessions, too (why not, they were on everybody else's)... b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21I think Chip Douglas is a big contributor on Headquarters and Pisces Aquarius Capricorn & Jones

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    They sang on all their records. b, 21b, 21They were victims of the post Dylan/Beatles sensibility that insisted that groups write their own songs and play their own instruments. b, 21b, 21I think their records are a lot of fun and great to listen to. Great songs, lots of energy in the vocals, great tracks. b, 21b, 21They were a manufactured group, picked from auditions for the purpose of a tv show. b, 21b, 21Some members like Jones were professional musical theater people and happy for the gig. Others like Nesmith thought they were some kind of real rock stars and wanted to pretend the group was a real band.b, 21b, 21Kind of like that new Disney movie about the superhero dog.

Quote:h, 21b, 21
    Quote:h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Their Headquarters album is the only album, I think, where they played on all the songs from front to back. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21All four of them had some kind of musical background, but when it came time to cut records, producer Don Kirshner insisted on studio musicians. The Monkees had to fight to get on their own records, and everything after Headquarters had at least ONE Monkee playing an instrument.b, 21b, 21
    b, 21b, 21I don't think he was even "Dr. John" then, he was just an L.A. studio guy who migrated from New Orleans and was going by his real name, Mac Rebennack.b, 21b, 21Carol Kaye, Earl Palmer and Hal Blaine might be on some of those sessions, too (why not, they were on everybody else's)... b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21if memory serves, carol kaye took part in the sessions for the "head" soundtrack.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21 Others like Nesmith thought they were some kind of real rock stars and wanted to pretend the group was a real band.b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21well, to fair, at that time Nesmith had already had the Butterfield Band record their version of "Mary, Mary" before the show even started, so he was def an acomplished songwriter... b, 21b, 21i am biased as i am a huge Nesmith fan tho...

Quote:h, 21b, 21 Others like Nesmith thought they were some kind of real rock stars and wanted to pretend the group was a real band.b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21well, to fair, at that time Nesmith had already had the Butterfield Band record their version of "Mary, Mary" before the show even started, so he was def an acomplished songwriter... b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21and he has the most solo records of all four Monkees, so the man was definitely music-focused (even ran his own label, Pacific Arts, for a spell)