The Roots retiring from touring.

13»

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    there is no way the roots weren't making good money from album sales + touring + endorsements + ads + whatever else. i could see that talk show shit getting boring as F*ck but as long as they work on music outside of it, it more than likely beats the hell out of touring

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21I am sure a steady gig that leaves weekends open will be a welcome change. b, 21b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Saying. These dudes been on the road CONSTANTLY for 13 - 14 years. 200 + shows a year and shit. It gets really tiring, especially as you get older and just want to downshift.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21"Genius" is subjective. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Well he was the Voodoo/D'Angelo musical director. Ill give a "Genius" nod on that,but Genius is thrown around way too much. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Wasn't that Soulquarians? What's that keyboard players name? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21James Poyser?

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Incredibly Talented - YES - No question.b, 21b, 21Genius - WTF? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21okay okay...genius may be overkill.... point taken.... b, 21b, 21b, 21Now who rides for Dice Raw???

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21i could see that talk show shit getting boring as F*ck b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Having to come up with original material every night. b, 21Playing different kinds of music behind a wide variety of performers. b, 21b, 21That's going to be a lot more boring than playing the same hits and standards for the same crowd of stoned punks in a different town every night. b, 21It's going to be real boring taking a cross town bus instead of 10 hours in the tour bus. b, 21Real boring not doing sound checks in halls that were never meant to have music. b, 21Real boring playing for millions of people a night instead of 2 thousand.

• I met a dude at a party in collage who played drums on Letterman. He was f*cking tweeking his ass of and talking a mile a minute about playing drums with Blue Oyster Cult too. He said Letterman was the best gig he ever had. I didn't really believe him but the next week I was watching and sure enough he was the drummer.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I met a dude at a party in collage who played drums on Letterman. He was f*cking tweeking his ass of and talking a mile a minute about playing drums with Blue Oyster Cult too. He said Letterman was the best gig he ever had. I didn't really believe him but the next week I was watching and sure enough he was the drummer. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21That had to be Anton Fig, right? Hasn't he always been Letterman's drummer? b, 21b, 21Seriously, a late night show gig has to be great. Not the most fulfilling creatively, perhaps, but really fun and lucrative. I always look at the band members on Conan and think "that's a good gig." Wear a fly suit every night, play fun songs, and get paid. It's easy for those guys. They have to rehearse for what, an hour a day? Shoot the show for a couple hours? Noice.b, 21b, 21The only thing I wouldn't like in that situation is having to cut the song off abruptly when the host is ready to talk. Lots of times the band's killing it and then gets cut off and I'm like "fusk that, keep going!"

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I've tallked to Will Lee (bass player for Letterman) a few times, and believe me, those dudes love that gig. They don't even really rehearse anymore unless they are backing the musical guest or are doing something special, they just have a book of tunes that can be called whenever. Those are all top session players so it's nothing to them. They can walk in 30 minutes before taping and be out 2 hours later, and still play their own gigs or do studio work or whatever else they want. b, 21b, 21The Roots have worked damn hard, so more power to them, hopefully they can make it interesting and have some influence over the musical guests as well.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I met a dude at a party in collage who played drums on Letterman. He was f*cking tweeking his ass of and talking a mile a minute about playing drums with Blue Oyster Cult too. He said Letterman was the best gig he ever had. I didn't really believe him but the next week I was watching and sure enough he was the drummer. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21That had to be Anton Fig, right? Hasn't he always been Letterman's drummer? b, 21b, 21Seriously, a late night show gig has to be great. Not the most fulfilling creatively, perhaps, but really fun and lucrative. I always look at the band members on Conan and think "that's a good gig." Wear a fly suit every night, play fun songs, and get paid. It's easy for those guys. They have to rehearse for what, an hour a day? Shoot the show for a couple hours? Noice.b, 21b, 21The only thing I wouldn't like in that situation is having to cut the song off abruptly when the host is ready to talk. Lots of times the band's killing it and then gets cut off and I'm like "fusk that, keep going!" b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Yeah, that was him. What he was doing at a university of the arts party in philly that fucked up I have no idea.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I met a dude at a party in collage who played drums on Letterman. He was f*cking tweeking his ass of and talking a mile a minute about playing drums with Blue Oyster Cult too. He said Letterman was the best gig he ever had. I didn't really believe him but the next week I was watching and sure enough he was the drummer. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21That had to be Anton Fig, right? Hasn't he always been Letterman's drummer? b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21No, Steve Jordan was the original Letterman drummer I believe, at least the one before Fig took the job.b, 21b, 21

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I met a dude at a party in collage who played drums on Letterman. He was f*cking tweeking his ass of and talking a mile a minute about playing drums with Blue Oyster Cult too. He said Letterman was the best gig he ever had. I didn't really believe him but the next week I was watching and sure enough he was the drummer. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21That had to be Anton Fig, right? Hasn't he always been Letterman's drummer? b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21No, Steve Jordan was the original Letterman drummer I believe, at least the one before Fig took the job.b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21That must have been back in the day. I was watching back when the band was just four guys ('88?) and it was Anton. Regardless, dude's had a nice run. b, 21b, 21I remember seeing Will Lee's name on a Chaka Khan record and being like "Oh shit! Dude from Letterman!" If those guys still do sessions, I wonder who for?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    You know Paul Schaeffer is the f*cking man, right? And a great Canadian too.b, 21b, 21When Tribe was on Letterman back in 1991 during the Low End Theory, Paul was talking about sampling like "It's a great new technique for making music that the kids are using these days."b, 21b, 21He then was like "Since they'll be playing with a live band, I brought in the original Average White Band horn lineup to play with us to recreate the song." (Check The Rhyme.)b, 21b, 21I always thought that was mad cool.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21You know Paul Schaeffer is the f*cking man, right? And a great Canadian too.b, 21b, 21When Tribe was on Letterman back in 1991 during the Low End Theory, Paul was talking about sampling like "It's a great new technique for making music that the kids are using these days."b, 21b, 21He then was like "Since they'll be playing with a live band, I brought in the original Average White Band horn lineup to play with us to recreate the song." (Check The Rhyme.)b, 21b, 21I always thought that was mad cool. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Guys like Paul Schaeffer are the OG music nerds, I bet that guy has more songs memorized than most dudes on this board have even heard in their life.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21You know Paul Schaeffer is the f*cking man, right? And a great Canadian too.b, 21b, 21When Tribe was on Letterman back in 1991 during the Low End Theory, Paul was talking about sampling like "It's a great new technique for making music that the kids are using these days."b, 21b, 21He then was like "Since they'll be playing with a live band, I brought in the original Average White Band horn lineup to play with us to recreate the song." (Check The Rhyme.)b, 21b, 21I always thought that was mad cool. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Sick. Never heard that story but that's great. b, 21b, 21(Until AWB came up asking, "where's our royalty checks?!")

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21You know Paul Schaeffer is the f*cking man, right? And a great Canadian too.b, 21b, 21When Tribe was on Letterman back in 1991 during the Low End Theory, Paul was talking about sampling like "It's a great new technique for making music that the kids are using these days."b, 21b, 21He then was like "Since they'll be playing with a live band, I brought in the original Average White Band horn lineup to play with us to recreate the song." (Check The Rhyme.)b, 21b, 21I always thought that was mad cool. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Guys like Paul Schaeffer are the OG music nerds, I bet that guy has more songs memorized than most dudes on this board have even heard in their life. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Paul used to lead the band on SNL before GE Smith before he moved on to Letterman. He also was the director for the Blues Brothers band, so he's had a pretty good career over there at the Peacock. b, 21b, 21b, 21re: getting cut off for commercials - they film the show in real time, and the band plays for the 2-and-2 during 'breaks' in taping. the audience stops clapping when the applause sign goes off, listens to the band, then start clapping when the 'come back' from the 'break'. And cosine on the band just having loads of memorized songs at their disposal. the only 'original' song they would do on the regular would be the theme. Hopefully fallon won't go for the typical big-band-jazz sound that has seems to be de rigeur for these newer shows.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21He then was like "Since they'll be playing with a live band, I brought in the original Average White Band horn lineup to play with us to recreate the song." (Check The Rhyme.)b, 21b, 21I always thought that was mad cool. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I bet that was fun as hell for Tribe!

• does that mean will see Malik B perform all ready!?!!?

Isn't Will Lee the bass player spike's dad?b, 21b, 21Same guy who played on loads of folk records in the early 60s?b, 21b, 21His name turns up on jazz and pop records too.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Isn't Will Lee the bass player spike's dad?b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Will vs. Bill

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Isn't Will Lee the bass player spike's dad?b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Will vs. Bill b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Schooled. b, 21b, 21I didn't know there was 2 of them.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    BUMP for the fact that The Roots were in a terrible crash last night. Apparently the whole crew is okay and just really sore, but no serious injuries. In fact they were given painkillers and they played through the hurt and the show went on. But I saw the photos and they're nasty - a smashed up and partially flipped tour bus... really scary.b, 21b, 21So YEAH, let a motherfucker live.

• Quote:h, 21b, 21BUMP for the fact that The Roots were in a terrible crash last night. Apparently the whole crew is okay and just really sore, but no serious injuries. In fact they were given painkillers and they played through the hurt and the show went on. But I saw the photos and they're nasty - a smashed up and partially flipped tour bus... really scary.b, 21b, 21So YEAH, let a motherfucker live. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21God damn, glad to hear they are all right. Time to get off the road.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21
    Quote:h, 21b, 21BUMP for the fact that The Roots were in a terrible crash last night. Apparently the whole crew is okay and just really sore, but no serious injuries. In fact they were given painkillers and they played through the hurt and the show went on. But I saw the photos and they're nasty - a smashed up and partially flipped tour bus... really scary.b, 21b, 21So YEAH, let a motherfucker live. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21God damn, glad to hear they are all right. Time to get off the road. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21exactly. Theres an omen right there.

Bummed to hear that. b, 21b, 21A few years ago their equipment truck rolled. b, 21I think it was in Nevada. b, 21I can't remember who was in the truck at the time. b, 21b, 21I do remember they were shook.