Home Pickling Strut

2»

Comments

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Don't forget to add a little sugar to the sauce. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/NO.gif" alt="" 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Dude, half tps is img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sn.gif" alt="" 21 old Italian grandmom related. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21similar to the firestorm raised by philly bakeries when partially hydrogenated oils were banned. they claimed that the legislation was f*cking with "traditional baking methods"b, 21b, 21no disrespect to your nonna, but sugar is hardly necessary or traditional (although there are many different regional cuisines). but to each his own. sugar will obviously make it sweeter, just like the classic mixing in of heavy cream will make it richer (pasticciata) b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21You got it twisted. You think you can really taste a half tsp in a pot of sauce. It doesn't make it sweet, it helps cut the acidity, thats all.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    who knewn a thread about home pickling would turn into a three pager? that's part of what makes this board so awesome.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21.the meat had basically been disintegrated and dispersed b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Thaaaaaaaaaassssss WHATIMTALKINABOUT!!!!!b, 21b, 21It just falls apart and becomes a meaty thickening agent, releasing its goodness throughout the sauce. I also ride for fennel sausage, but you really need to cook the sausages in the sauce to get the right release of sausage essence.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21give the foundation and explain that from there, you tweak to your liking...and the more you get familiar with the recipe and ingredients the more you can freestyle. but its good to have a starting point.b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Yeah, that's where I am with this--I just wanna get the sauce right, then I'll start messing with it a bit to customize it for my taste. What's odd is that I'm only just now starting to make sauce. Pasta is probably the biggest staple of my diet and has been for years, yet this weekend is the first time I've ever tried to make my own sauce. I'm sort of at a loss to explain that. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21I havent picked up a jar of "Ragu" in 20 years.

• Continuing with pickling strut...b, 21b, 21/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21With certain foods, if you do this wrong, it could kill you. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Fatback, speak on it. Microbes or noxious farting related?

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21You got it twisted. You think you can really taste a half tsp in a pot of sauce. It doesn't make it sweet, it helps cut the acidity, thats all. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21thats whats always said...but i dont really buy it. ive heard that sauted onions cut tomato acidity, but i dont know much about food chemistry to agree or disagree (but i know they study that at cooking schools). id be interested in hearing from the scientistsb, 21b, 21sugar also added to store sauces as a preservative

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21id be interested in hearing from the scientistsb, 21b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21F*ck a scientist, proof is in the sauce.

• i'll put mine up against your grandmas sugar sauce

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    i've been pickling eggs for years. easy and good. them shits'll last forever. the 4 month old ones are THE BEST!!!

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21i've been pickling eggs for years. easy and good. them shits'll last forever. the 4 month old ones are THE BEST!!! b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Now this conversation is finally getting serious!

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Yeah, that's what's up. The only really necessary ingredients are the tomatoes, garlic, onion, salt, and pepper, but I work with whatever else I have. I rock a LOT of garlic, and herb the living shit out of it. Red wine is always a good look. Kick some slow roasted pork loin up in there if you're serious. b, 21b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Sometimes I throw a Ham-Hock up in that bitch. Pork flava!

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21You got it twisted. You think you can really taste a half tsp in a pot of sauce. It doesn't make it sweet, it helps cut the acidity, thats all. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21thats whats always said...but i dont really buy it. ive heard that sauted onions cut tomato acidity, but i dont know much about food chemistry to agree or disagree (but i know they study that at cooking schools). id be interested in hearing from the scientistsb, 21b, 21sugar also added to store sauces as a preservative b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Onions have more sugar than oranges. They're also very high in sulfur, which is why they aren't as sweet as oranges. Sugar will cut acidity, and carrots are thought to do the same.b, 21b, 21But if you use San Marzano canned tomatoes, the only ingredients necessary are onions, garlic, olive oil, herbs and salt.b, 21b, 21Pay the extra dollar per can.b, 21b, 21 img src="http://ruggierosmarket.com/store/images/CentoSanMarzano.gif"1

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21You got it twisted. You think you can really taste a half tsp in a pot of sauce. It doesn't make it sweet, it helps cut the acidity, thats all. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21thats whats always said...but i dont really buy it. ive heard that sauted onions cut tomato acidity, but i dont know much about food chemistry to agree or disagree (but i know they study that at cooking schools). id be interested in hearing from the scientistsb, 21b, 21sugar also added to store sauces as a preservative b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Onions have more sugar than oranges. They're also very high in sulfur, which is why they aren't as sweet as oranges. Sugar will cut acidity, and carrots are thought to do the same.b, 21b, 21But if you use San Marzano canned tomatoes, the only ingredients necessary are onions, garlic, olive oil, herbs and salt.b, 21b, 21Pay the extra dollar per can.b, 21b, 21 img src="http://ruggierosmarket.com/store/images/CentoSanMarzano.gif"1 b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21San Marzano Tomatoes are highly reccommended BUT - b, 21b, 21b, 21"In 1989, the United States imposed debilitating punitive tariffs on imported European fruits and vegetables - from 13.6 percent to an exorbitant 100 percent.b, 21Unsurprisingly, Italian tomatoes prices went thru the roof, and sales of imported tomatoes dropped off dramatically. To avoid paying the steep duty, Italian tomatoe canners eventually bagan packin their tomatoes in puree rather than juice.b, 21The loophole? When packed in juice, tomatoes are considered a "vegetable"; when packed in puree, they're considered a "sauce", which carries a much lower customs duty."

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    My Korean mother in law lives with us during the week.b, 21b, 21b, 21I win.

• can i put veggies into my massive jar of pickles as i eat the pickles? will this pickle those veggies? will i get botulism?

• Kim Cheeb, 21Watch Thee, Kim Chee....b, 21The Koreans have the highest incidence of ulcers and gastrointestinal cancers in the world.b, 21moderation.b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21.....I make a wicked apricot chutney, a little southern flavor with Indian steez.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Kim Cheeb, 21Watch Thee, Kim Chee....b, 21The Koreans have the highest incidence of ulcers and gastrointestinal cancers in the world.b, 21moderation.b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21And the home remedy for that is......b, 21b, 21b, 21MORE KIMCHI!!!!